Reloading non-toxic shotgun shells

MNspanielguy

Reloading non-toxic shotgun shells

Post by MNspanielguy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Does anybody out there reload with any of the non-toxic shot other than steel? I am considering buying a Browning BSS and I hunt on public land, so steel would be ruled out with a gun like that. Are there more things to consider than when reloading with lead? I have never reloaded any type of shell, but he price on hevi-shot is as deadly as the shells.

Thanks,
Mike

OhioVizsla

Re: Reloading non-toxic shotgun shells

Post by OhioVizsla » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:13 am

I bought bismuth shot from Precision Reloading a few years back & they supplied a reloading manual to pick a load from. I didn't have any problems reloading, & can't tell the difference in the field from shooting lead. Lucky for me, I bought the bismuth when it was $77.00 for 7 lbs. Now it's up to $157.00 for 6.6 lbs, ouch. For me to load up a box of 28ga 11/16 oz loads at these new prices, I've got $25.54 just in the bismuth itself.

I've never been checked by a game warden in the field. I did call one when I first started reloading bismuth to see how they would field check me. He told me there is no field check, they would have to take a shell & have it analyzed later.