Baikal O/U

A_LOTA_NOTA

Baikal O/U

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:12 am

Any thoughts on a Baikal Model #IZH-27EM-IC (12 ga (O/U). I have some nice guns, now I'm just looking for a work horse.

rkappes

Re: Baikal O/U

Post by rkappes » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:38 am

My old man has a Baikal 12 gauge and loves it. Actually my father, one of my uncles and a cousin of mine bought their guns at the same time. Not sure what model though. It's built well, inexpensive, shoots good, and it actually has some pretty nice wood and a nickel receiver so it’s a good lookin’ gun, especially for the money. I think he paid around $300 new for it. It’s definitely a workhorse. I’ve contemplated getting one in a 20 gauge. I don’t think you can go wrong for the money.

A_LOTA_NOTA

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:55 am

I guess I better keep looking. This is a used gun and does not have a nickel receiver. The guy was asking $300 but came down to $275.
rkappes wrote:My old man has a Baikal 12 gauge and loves it. Actually my father, one of my uncles and a cousin of mine bought their guns at the same time. Not sure what model though. It's built well, inexpensive, shoots good, and it actually has some pretty nice wood and a nickel receiver so it’s a good lookin’ gun, especially for the money. I think he paid around $300 new for it. It’s definitely a workhorse. I’ve contemplated getting one in a 20 gauge. I don’t think you can go wrong for the money.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:04 am

A_LOTA_NOTA wrote:I guess I better keep looking. This is a used gun and does not have a nickel receiver. The guy was asking $300 but came down to $275.
rkappes wrote:My old man has a Baikal 12 gauge and loves it. Actually my father, one of my uncles and a cousin of mine bought their guns at the same time. Not sure what model though. It's built well, inexpensive, shoots good, and it actually has some pretty nice wood and a nickel receiver so it’s a good lookin’ gun, especially for the money. I think he paid around $300 new for it. It’s definitely a workhorse. I’ve contemplated getting one in a 20 gauge. I don’t think you can go wrong for the money.
$275 doesn't seem all that bad. My dad and the two others got a smokin’ deal through a private dealer they know.

A_LOTA_NOTA

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:09 am

rkappes wrote:$275 doesn't seem all that bad. My dad and the two others got a smokin’ deal through a private dealer they know.
Looking on-line the ones with nickel receivers are running around the $400 mark or a little over (used).

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:44 pm

I bought a used Baikal 20ga O/U with the nickle reciever about 4yrs ago used for $375. It is my favorite gun to carry. It points good and I have never had a hickup.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

crappieguy

Post by crappieguy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:44 am

I've got a CZ redhead and a Baikal SXS .....12ga and 20 ga respectively and my son has a Baikal 12 ga SXS and we love them. I hate all semi's..doesn't matter what make...they seem to jam especially with colder weather ..the heating of the action from shooting...I've told that it's to do with dissimilar metals and different rates of expansion and contraction. Pumps are ok..we both have Mossberg 20 ga ...no problem ever! Hope this helps.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." Benjamin Franklin

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:44 pm

We have a few of these at the skeet club for guests and lessons. The 27 model is now called the 310 and is a little better looking. EAA sells them for about $550.

I don't think you can go wrong. The metal work is not Beretta quality but it is a well made gun and better than anything else in that price range by a mile.