Stoeger 20ga. #31035

RAWACRES

Stoeger 20ga. #31035

Post by RAWACRES » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:13 pm

Ok before you scream at me for buying this gun it's for field training my dog and field trials which you have to have a crack barrel to do so. anyway my question is on this gun you can fire first shot but then have to put gun back on safety then off two shot next round, is this the normal way an over and under is as this is my first gun of this type and is there any way to change it ? has no slid for top or bottum barrel to fire.
Thanks in advance rookie with new toy!

MTR

Re: Stoeger 20ga. #31035

Post by MTR » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:58 pm

If you are dry firing that gun, it's the only way to reset the inertia trigger. My guess is that when you really fire the first round, you will be able to pull the trigger the second time without having to "safe" and "un-safe" the gun.

I know that's how it works on my Browning over-under if I dry fire it.
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:13 pm

I'm awfully sure you have an auto safty, I don't know if you can even get a new gun without it. Matter of fact if you did get a gun withour auto safty, it would be very old. You take the safty off to fire the first shot and the safty stays off until you either open the action to re-load or you choose to put it back on yourself.

Of course I don't think pump's and semi-auto ever had an auto safty and probably never will. Don't know how they could tell the gun to put the safty on after shooting. A different world.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:07 pm

I have that gun, it is just when you dry fire.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:42 am

DonF wrote:I'm awfully sure you have an auto safty, I don't know if you can even get a new gun without it. Matter of fact if you did get a gun withour auto safty, it would be very old. You take the safty off to fire the first shot and the safty stays off until you either open the action to re-load or you choose to put it back on yourself.

Of course I don't think pump's and semi-auto ever had an auto safty and probably never will. Don't know how they could tell the gun to put the safty on after shooting. A different world.
Stevens model 512, my gun does not have an auto safe. I never use the safety. Break the action open is the only way to make the gun safe in the first place. When I get up to my dog I close the gun... No safe needed.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:34 am

Winchey wrote:I have that gun, it is just when you dry fire.

The stoegers set the second bbl from the recoil of the first shot... If you will hold the gun at arms lenght and fire a live round through it I almost bet it wont fire the second bbl. bout like limp wristing a semi auto pistol.

When I worked at gander mtn there were always folks bringing their stoegers in to be looked at because when they would dry fire them they couldnt get the second bbl to go. The gunsmith would take them in the back with snap caps and pull the trigger then drop the gun from 6-8in onto the butt pad and 90% of the time it would reset the second bbl.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

RAWACRES

Post by RAWACRES » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:47 pm

I called Benelli and they told that the second one will not fire other round when dry fired, So will give it a try this week-end and see what happen's Thank's for all the advise you've given me on this issue.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:44 am

RAWACRES wrote:I called Benelli and they told that the second one will not fire other round when dry fired, So will give it a try this week-end and see what happen's Thank's for all the advise you've given me on this issue.
It's only on dry fire - with live ammo the safety won't go on between shots. It's the same for the 12ga. Nothing to worry about - just a safety mechanism.