Barrel lenght for grouse

Clay

Barrel lenght for grouse

Post by Clay » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:38 am

I have an opinion question. What is the best barrel length for grouse hunting in the mountains? I currently have a 870 pump for turkey has a short barrel was wanting to buy another barrel for the gun. I want your opinion.

Rick

terrym

Re: Barrel lenght for grouse

Post by terrym » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:45 am

I use 2 Citori O/U which both have 24" barrels. Most of the time they have IC/IC chokes in them but I hunt in very heavy cover compared to what many on this website hunt in. A 30 yd shot is extremely rare for me as you basically can't much passed 20 yds most times. Having said this I am thinking of trading the 20 guage in for a slightly longer barrelled one ( 26") and also shoot a bit of sporting clays with it this coming season. With an 870 I would go with a 24" barrel.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:30 am

I haven't hunted grouse a lot in years. Last time was in Alaska. I had an 870 SP with I think was a 20" barrel. It had a full choke but I had it opened to IC. My son has it now. Best grouse gun I ever had was a Browning Double Auto with 24" barrel bore skeet.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:08 am

26" on a single is fine; 24" works ok on a BUL 12.

26' or 28" or whatever on a 2-barrel...barrel length is pretty unimportant really.
You won't miss many due to any barrel length unless at the extremes.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:18 pm

Clay,
Having hunted Grouse now for 50 years I will advise you in this way, it all depends on the habitat you are hunting.
If it is very very thick take a short BBl gun 26" and under, when the habitat is slightly more open take a gun with a longer BBl,
26" and above. You always want to be able to swing your gun to be able to shoot, however if you are out shooting Sharp Tails on the rolling plains, you might even want a 30" BBl, on your shotgun.
It all depends on the habitat where you are doing your hunting, I have different double guns with different length BBls, for different places that I Grouse hunt.
RGD/Dave

volraider

Post by volraider » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:11 pm

I usually hunt with 24 to 26 inch barrels and a 5 -6 lb gun.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:04 pm

only going to rec lengths on semi-autos.
for woods hunting use 26 inch grouse etc.
for open fields hunting pheasants use 28 inch.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:52 pm

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:Clay,
Having hunted Grouse now for 50 years I will advise you in this way, it all depends on the habitat you are hunting.
If it is very very thick take a short BBl gun 26" and under, when the habitat is slightly more open take a gun with a longer BBl,
26" and above. You always want to be able to swing your gun to be able to shoot, however if you are out shooting Sharp Tails on the rolling plains, you might even want a 30" BBl, on your shotgun.
It all depends on the habitat where you are doing your hunting, I have different double guns with different length BBls, for different places that I Grouse hunt.
RGD/Dave

well dave has a few more years than me on hunting,i have around 45 .
when hunting grouse in pa you dont need to swing to shoot but in fields hunting say pheasants, you do.
but you are talking grouse.any barrel under 26 inchs in semi auto does not feel right to me.
in open upland i always use a 28 inch barrel in semi.
in woods where swing is not as important,the 26 inch is what i use.
soooooooo, i own a BERETTA URICKA FIELD 12 GA WITH 28 INCH BARREL FOR PHEASANTS.this is best gun i have ever used for pheasants.
now,for grouse, i just bought the FRANCHI AL 48 20GA,26 INCH BARREL .what a gun to carry in woods for grouse. it feels nice and forearm is great to hold.it does kick a little more than the uricka as it is INERTIA driven not gas.

so, i guess i can say in SEMI,GET 28 INCH FOR PHEASANTS AND 26 INCH FOR GROUSE.
yes, 2 inchs on barrel length is BIG thing .

if i was going to flip coin i would get 26 inch for all around gun in semi -auto.

dakotashooter2

Post by dakotashooter2 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:33 am

You do gain some manuverability with a short barrel in heavy brush. Keep in mind that the OAL of a pump or auto with a 26" barrel is a couple inches longer than the OAL of an O/U or SXS. 26" on a double or 24" on a pump/auto seems to be a pretty good length.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:24 pm

Not a very important decision, other than at an extreme.
There will always be cover too thick for the shortest like 20" and open enough for the longest like 30 ", in a day.
Single barrel....26" is hard top beat tho I like 24" on a BUL...all about balance.
My Sweet 16 has 26"...just fine as well....again all about balance....and experience when any bird goes up.
Grouse are no tougher than any ohter...or easier.
Pick a barrel length and go....you will never find barrel length to be much of an excuse for missing a grouse...or reason for hitting one.
Same as gun weight, shell choice or the gloves one wears.
Go, have fun.
Fret little.

bluestemkennels

Post by bluestemkennels » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:18 pm

I use a SKB 505 with 26 inch bbls. Hunt primarily pheasant and sharptails. Get into quail and prairie chickens as well when hunting down near the KS border. The most important thing is having shotgun that fits you and swings well.

Bluestem
Bluestem Kennels
AKC Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Breeder
www.bluestemkennels.com

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:57 am

Clay,
For Grouse hunting most places in the TN mountains I would stick with the 28" or 26" BBl length, choked IC on your 870, you should be fine. We have an old Win M12 here that is set up in a similar manner, the young guys and the ladies love the gun cause its light to carry and puts the birds down well.
RGD/Dave

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:16 am

Barrel length is far more about personnel preference and ingrained/past down beliefs than performance.