Lion Country Ugartechea

MATT4126

Lion Country Ugartechea

Post by MATT4126 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:22 pm

Stopped at Lion Country last week to see their spanish doubles they import. Looked to be a real quality sxs. Does anyone here have or hunt with one and have any input. Pricewise I am probably in the grade1/2 wheelhouse at around $1600. Thanks. BTW Lion Country's showroom is about 30x30 and while nice their business relies on the mail order side of things. Super nice fellas working there.

MTR

Re: Lion Country Ugartechea

Post by MTR » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:37 pm

I have a 16ga grade IV sidelock. First season with it, but a nice gun. I have had zero issues with it. Points well and swings fast. I have a 28" barrel, 2 triggers, and choked Improved cylinder and modified. Best value in a quality double on the market IMHO unless you find one on gunbroker.com from a person who doesn't know what they have. I have transitioned quite quickly to the dual triggers from my citori.

Please be aware that these guns ARE NOT PROOFED FOR STEEL. No matter what the guys at LCS will tell you (and they will tell you that the proof standard is actually higher than that what is used in the US - that is BS - and that sure it's fine to shoot steel - they said 6's and smaller shot due to fixed chokes) unless there is a fluer de lys on the stamped barrel flats, it has not been proofed for steel and use at your own risk. Like I said, I asked the question right to a gunsmith at LCS and was told that "no, it wasn't proofed for it but was ok to shoot." I was told by someone else in the know that these lightweight Spanish guns are not made to shoot the high performance steel out of them. "User beware" was more or less the gist I got out of that conversation. You will have to use some other non-tox if it is required where you hunt - nice-shot, bismuth, or heavy shot.

The wood can be a little plain to some, but I really like mine!
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:50 pm

There was a used Ugartchea 12 Ga on www.Utahbirddogs.com for $650.Don't know if it still 4 sale or not.

MTR

Post by MTR » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:02 am

Gunbroker.com has a nice 12ga Ugartechea for $650 as well. Grade 1 and 2 box locks can be had for a steal when you look around. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =258881218

You can get the barrels opened up for about $35 a barrel ($70 total) or even have thin walled chokes installed if you wanted.
- Rob

Escopeton

Post by Escopeton » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:25 am

I have a LCS Upland Classic in grade one that I use for my upland. I have had it for a three years and I love it. It swings well, almost points itself and shoots well for a light gun. I have used it for pheasants, Duskies, quail, and dove. The wood is fair but I put a lot of elbow grease and tung oil into it. I also reload for it, too. I do well with it on the sporting clay range. I recomend it highly and with its price point is even more attractive. Here it is this past September on a Dusky Grouse hunt. My Uggie is on the left with a "Scotch Double".

Living large in the Southwest.

SeriousBirdman

Post by SeriousBirdman » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:13 am

Nice pic!
Trying to energize the birdin' world at http://www.seriousbirdhunting.com!

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:25 pm

Gentlemen,
No doubt about it Lion Country has some serious Uggie double guns, I have been looking at a Grade V, 28 Guage for some time now. Sooner or later I will add one to my collection. Was hoping Marlin would contract Uggie to build an Elsie Reproduction, I would really like to have a 28 Gauge L.C. Smith with the Rotary bolt. Ugartechera
could do a good job making one.
Pine Creek

Uggie Grade V Side Lock double gun
http://www.doubleshotguns.com/images/st ... /view1.jpg
Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:10 pm

i have one of the older ones with the bigger forearm i love it!!! its my go to gun

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:29 am

MTR,
You are correct sir, unless the gun was tested for steel shot I would use a different kind of shell. This really does not effect me with my upland hunting most times. These are definitely serious Grouse guns, I would like to own both a 28 & 16 Gauge
SL, Grade IV and up.
RGD/Dave

MTR

Post by MTR » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:07 am

RGD -

love my 16 Grade 4. for the price and for a new gun it's hard to beat. These light Spanish guns are just not made to shoot high performance/velocity steel. I have seminole chambermates so I can shoot 28 out of the 16. Good enough for now.
- Rob

smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:51 pm

I have a Grade V and it is a pretty darn good shotgun -- beautiful engraving, breath taking wood, solid lock up, and it handles like it was custom fitted. What's not to like?