Looking for a youth model

Birddawg

Looking for a youth model

Post by Birddawg » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:52 pm

Hi all. My son AND wife both just passed their gun safety clinic, and my son already has his small game license. I went to get him a youth model shot gun, but one that wil double for my wife as well. She is short, and youth models fit them both well. Problem is, she is a lefty, and he is a righty. I know Browning makes a bottom eject pump model, and I was wondering if they make a bottom eject in a semi auto? If not, I am considering a mossberg 20 gauge youth because it has the thumb safety and they could both shoot it without concern as to left or right as far as the safety is concerned. Does anyone out there know about my question as far as the Browning is concerned? What would you use? Any other recomendations? Id like to buy only one shotgun if at all possible.
Thanks for your help.
Glenn

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Looking for a youth model

Post by mcbosco » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:19 pm

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/red ... ed-length/

nice gun

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firear ... condor.php

Nice too, but not as nicely finished, click "youth", probably more sensible buy than the CZ

Birddawg

Post by Birddawg » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:26 pm

Thanks mcbosco. I am leaning towards a semi auto because being a gas operated model, it will help to take up some of the recoil.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:59 pm

Browning doesn't make a semi-auto with bottom ejection, nor do any of the major manf. that I know of. Remington did put one out about 4 years ago (model 105 CTI), then I believe they discontinued it.
Last edited by nikegundog on Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:44 pm

I've been shooting a old western arms 20g SxS that my dad bought me when I was 9 years old foe the past 22 years. Even at 9 I didn't really notice the recoil. It's light, 6.5-7 pounds and I think it has 26" barrels. I'm not suggesting you get a western arms, but don't discount a nice SxS or O/U with a good recoil pad. I grew into this gun and have killed many birds with it.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:33 pm

Birdawg,

Your real challenge with the lefty righty situation is the safety on an auto. I shoot a RH Benelli Montefeltro left handed, I had to switch due to sight issues. The ejection doesn't bother me but the key component was having the safety reversed. IMO switching a safety on and off has to be immediate and instinctive, if you have one doing it one way; and one another, you have potential problems in consistency, and that just isn't ok with a safety.

Break action guns are usually on the yop and much easier to manage regardless of hand dominance

regards,
Joe

Birddawg

Post by Birddawg » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:40 pm

Thanks Joe. I want an auto to help with recoil. I ended up getting a Weatherby SA 08 20 gauge right handed model. I will have to bite the bullet and buy a left handed model also, problem is I cant find one in a youth 20. Ill keep looking.
Glenn

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:30 am

That makes sense...
you may have the lefty just shoot the right hand gun and see if the ejection port interferes, as I said the Montefeltro I don't even notice. If so you can find the righties cheaper and a gunsmith can switch the saftey to lefty for you cheap. Good luck and congratulations on having them both involved that is very cool.

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:03 am

Birddawg
I have that mossberg model 500 youth in 20 ga. That's a nice little gun. I got it in a combo with the slug barrel and
Smooth barrel. My oldest son shots right and my youngest lefty as far as shells ejecting out we have no problems
With that. The safety being on the top is real nice for me to see when we are in the stand. I can tell if its on or off just
By a glance.
Also that gun comes in a bantam to grow with them, and it carrys like a feather with little recoil. I'm jelous sometimes
After an hour or so of walking with my ultralight.
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

Meller

Post by Meller » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:13 pm

If recoil gets to be a problem, you can always get a kick reducer; that is what I did for my grandson, worked relly well. :)

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:09 am

I think the browning 2000 is bottom eject semi auto. The lefty gun is gonna be tough. The righthand gun i reccomend a beretta 390 or 391. They can be found with the spacer for the buttstock often. I had a franchi al48. Twenty guage trimmed.down for.my 12 year old. He loves it. I just bought him a beretta extrema2 12 guage and removed the spacer and hes doing well with that also. I tested it out last weekend for.pheasant and the short stock worked well since i had my thick jacket on. Don't be afraid to cut a stock the markets good for lightweight short semi autos If you ever need to get rid of it.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:05 am

gotpointers wrote:I think the browning 2000 is bottom eject semi auto. The lefty gun is gonna be tough. The righthand gun i reccomend a beretta 390 or 391. They can be found with the spacer for the buttstock often. I had a franchi al48. Twenty guage trimmed.down for.my 12 year old. He loves it. I just bought him a beretta extrema2 12 guage and removed the spacer and hes doing well with that also. I tested it out last weekend for.pheasant and the short stock worked well since i had my thick jacket on. Don't be afraid to cut a stock the markets good for lightweight short semi autos If you ever need to get rid of it.
The browning 2000 has a side ejection, you also needed to different barrels if you wanted to shoot both 2 3/4 and 3" shell (different gas ports).