Al Biesen

DonF
GDF Junkie

Al Biesen

Post by DonF » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:00 pm

I went to their site yesterday to look around, those folks are artists! I looked at their guns for sale and they only had one at the time. $20,000. Lot of money but that thins is fabioulis! If I had the money I'd own it.

http://www.biesen.com/Biesens.html
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Brooks Carmichael

Re: Al Biesen

Post by Brooks Carmichael » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:58 pm

Don,

I used to live in Spokane where both Al and son Roger live and build their rifles. I am lucky enough to consider them good friends. Al is now 93 years old now and had a stroke about 10 years ago and quit building rifles. His son Roger still does and builds some of the finest rifles to be found anywhere. While there I had Al build me four rifles. A .270, 300 H&H, a 35 whelen and .375 H&H. Roger is now building me a .308 on a mauser action and his daughter will engrave it for me. The only reason I got these rifles built by Al and Roger is because I visited them in their shop a couple times a week and drooled over the rifles they were building. I listed constantly to all the stories about rifles Al had built for Jack O'Conner and outdoor writers plus the many hunts he went on. And one day Al says to me you need one of my rifles. I told him as game warden, I just could not afford one his rifles. He told me, yes you can and over time he build me four rifles. I had two of them engraved by Terry Wallace out of Calif. who is no longer with us. I traded a 28 gauge Beretta, I could not hit the broad side of bar with for the engraving.

To say the least Biesen's rifles are truely a work of art.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:22 am

I am with you Brooks. The custom rifles I see being made today I don't care for. But if their owners like them, good for them. But the Bisens are in a league of their own!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:32 pm

I love these custom gun guys, Angelo Bee is another talented guy. He had a stroke a while back.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:46 am

Boy you are not kidding abour Angelo Bee! An old world master gun engraver!

http://angelobeeguns.com/

Brooks Carmichael

Post by Brooks Carmichael » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:53 pm

I just talked with Paula Biesen, Al Biesen grandaughter. Al just turned 93, but is in bad shape as result of a stroke a few years ago, and he is in now what they call stage 6 Alzheimers. The family is having a tough go of it right now because of this and Al is having to be watched 24 hrs a day. Let us hope for the best.

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:19 pm

DonF wrote:I am with you Brooks. The custom rifles I see being made today I don't care for. But if their owners like them, good for them. But the Bisens are in a league of their own!
You might get an argument on this statement... nothing wrong with rifles by Jerry Fisher, Gary Goudy or a dozen other modern gun makers.
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.

My Blog: Living with Bird Dogs