Poor Cycling - Auto Loader

laxhcky4

Poor Cycling - Auto Loader

Post by laxhcky4 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:55 am

I have a Browning Gold Fusion. It doesn't like to cycle cheap target loads or even game loads when its cold outside. I try and clean it a few times throughout the hunting season and feel that should be enough but maybe it isn't. I wipe down all oil/cleaner when done cleaning so that won't gum up on me when its cold.

Is there a product/lube I can use that will work in cold conditions?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

MTR

Re: Poor Cycling - Auto Loader

Post by MTR » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:06 am

recoil spring in the stock may be rusted/gummed up. I had the issue with my browning gold. Bought one of these to take care of the problem:

http://surecycle.com/store/pc/viewCateg ... Category=2
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:17 am

I had a SX3 which is the same gun as the gold for sll practical purposes, you may have some rust in your return spring.

What I found to be the issue with mine was that I was using too much of the wrong kind of oil. gun oil is good stuff but it tends to be fairly thick. I found that just a drop of fishing reel oil on moving parts really cleaned up how my gun gun cycled as the outside temps got lower.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:53 am

Don't use a mess of oil or lube in the gun, use a thin coat . Lots of oil in an action can slow it down.

Also i would use a higher Dram EQ load closer to a high brass shell......They make alot of these auto loaders with the ability
to shoot heavy waterfowl loads and sometimes that is at the expense of light target/game load performance.

Checking that cycle spring in the stock would be a good idea but if your not getting the gun wet all the time waterfowl hunting I doubt its rusted up too bad. That said can't go wrong with the sure cycle as suggested.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:09 am

Its the recoil spring in the stock that got gummed up, and needs to get cleaned out. I wouldn't buy the fancy recoil spring, if you clean it out good once then use a Teflon oil very lightly in the action you should get through a whole season without having to do it again. I do it yearly.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:19 am

I've known guy's that used teflon oil exclusitivly and that claim it really smooths things up. But with Browning auto's years ago, may be prehistoric, to shoot high base light target loads, you had to turn over something inside the fore end. I don't know what it is, I don't shoot autos. But I suspect that low base shells will probably work better.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:31 am

DonF wrote:I've known guy's that used teflon oil exclusitivly and that claim it really smooths things up. But with Browning auto's years ago, may be prehistoric, to shoot high base light target loads, you had to turn over something inside the fore end. I don't know what it is, I don't shoot autos. But I suspect that low base shells will probably work better.
You are talking about the friction ring is the A500s, you flip that around for light loads. The Browning Gold doesn't have one.

Follow this article and your problems should be solved.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Deep-cle ... ld+article

laxhcky4

Post by laxhcky4 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:41 am

Thanks for the info. I'll try the suggestions.

I don't put any oil in the action after I clean it. The slide rails do get gummed up a little. Not sure if its just part of the gas chamber gunk that gets thrown back there or what.

I will check out that spring though. What is the best way to get to it? do you have to take the stock off?

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:47 am

You have to remove the butt stock to get to the spring. The article I posted should walk you through the steps.

quackaddict

Post by quackaddict » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:05 pm

I use FP-10 gun oil. That stuff is "da bomb" for gun lube. Use sparingly, and clean regularly.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:46 pm

wet a patch with good gun oil and wipe the parts after they are cleaned and before you put together....you should be using a small amount of oil in and on the action parts.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:25 am

Maybe the ring in the mechanism when you took it apart was put in backwards, it happened to me and i had to shoot heavy loads in order to get it to cylcle..i put it in the other way and now can shoot the lightest target loads..good luck..ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:02 pm

I just had a thought as I saw this thread again. Of course you are having trouble with your auto loader. It's not a sxs or an o/u! :mrgreen: Reminds me of a story I either heard or read somewhere years ago. Guy and his son coming out of the hardware store after buying a new pump shotgun to go hunting. Coming in is a guy with a fine Purdy. The boy looks at his dad and say's,"I sure feel sorry for that guy having to use an old double barrel"! Ignorance is bliss! :D
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

laxhcky4

Post by laxhcky4 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:46 pm

Nike - thanks for that link, it look like I will be tearing it down next week and give that a shot. Hopefully it helps!

I hear ya on the Autoloader Don. I would really like to buy an O/U but just can't justify it right now. Can go on a couple bird hunts for the price of a decent O/U. Its in my long-term budget though!

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:21 pm

DonF wrote:I just had a thought as I saw this thread again. Of course you are having trouble with your auto loader. It's not a sxs or an o/u! :mrgreen: Reminds me of a story I either heard or read somewhere years ago. Guy and his son coming out of the hardware store after buying a new pump shotgun to go hunting. Coming in is a guy with a fine Purdy. The boy looks at his dad and say's,"I sure feel sorry for that guy having to use an old double barrel"! Ignorance is bliss! :D
Ignorance is bliss. I just bought an old Spanish double barrel and part of me wished I was ignorant of these guns. It is like a fast growing disorder and the only cure is more Spanish steal.