Shotgun dilemma

Ranger351

Re: Shotgun dilemma

Post by Ranger351 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:53 pm

I'm sold on em they give the most (bang) for the buck, sorry that pun was too easy

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:34 pm

DogNewbie wrote:
Where are you finding $150 wingmasters in MN? How old are they? Personally, I would never buy a new 870 express and would prefer an older wingmaster over a new one (not willing to say I'd never buy a new one, but I am suspicious of the quality of the guns inner components...no proof to back that up but I just feel that way about tools these days...it pays to make a product that eventually breaks! :? ) IMO the older guns are simply made better and will last your lifetime while the new ones wont. I have a 20ga wingmaster that was made in the late 50's early 60's and it works like a charm. I dropped $400 on it but considering the condition I would still consider that a steal. The cheapest older wingmaster I've seen in MN was $330 and it wasn't in great condition. If my memory serves me right the new expresses are more expensive than that ($500?), and IMO the quality of components and material just don't stand a chance next to the old guns. But if you are finding older wingmasters in MN for $150 let me know where because I know plenty of people that would be very interested in that!
I was in Fargo today at Scheels, the cheapest 870 Wingmaster I saw was listed at $179, salesman walked up and I asked if he'd knock $15 off and he said yes without blinking. Quite honestly it had a lot better days so it was not worth $164, they did have one in decent shape for $210. They also had a bunch listed for around $300 that were really nice. The new ones where listed at $650 I had know idea they sold for that high.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am

nikegundog wrote:I was in Fargo today at Scheels, the cheapest 870 Wingmaster I saw was listed at $179, salesman walked up and I asked if he'd knock $15 off and he said yes without blinking. Quite honestly it had a lot better days so it was not worth $164, they did have one in decent shape for $210. They also had a bunch listed for around $300 that were really nice. The new ones where listed at $650 I had know idea they sold for that high.
Yeah I was at the Owatonna Cabelas this weekend and found two 12ga wingmasters, one for about $230 the other for about $300. Similar condition, higher price for vented barrel I believe. I think I also failed to mention earlier that my wingmaster is a 20ga (also vented barrel,) which will bump the price up about $100. I think they just didn't make as many of the 20ga models so there is a higher demand. Did you check out the new ones? What did you think of them? The stock and metal looks high quality but for some reason I just feel like they aren't as well built as the older ones. Did you get that same feeling?

Tim

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:16 am

I never even looked the new ones over, they had three all priced at $650, so I just put them down (sticker stock). I will have to check them over next time.

Deets

Post by Deets » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:47 pm

I think you are on the right track looking at the wingmaster. If you have picked up an 870 express lately, they look like crap. I would go with a used wingmaster with some decent walnut and blued steel.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:53 am

I would look for an Ithaca 37 pre 1970's or even pre 1940, they are a steal. $150 - $500, generally about $250.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:21 am

MC,
I agree the 37 is a good gun for the money, he might want to look at the old Win Model 12 also, a little more money but a proven life time weapon for hunting.
Would much rather have an old 37 or a model 12 than any Wingmaster that was ever built.
RGD/Dave

kygrousehunter74

Post by kygrousehunter74 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:27 am

Go with the old silver tounge wingmaster by far smoother gun than the express.At them prices the guns are at a steal unless there beat all to pieces,have the barrel cut and thin wall briley chokes installed.You will be way ahead of the lower class firearms everyone in bringing up.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:06 pm

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:MC,
I agree the 37 is a good gun for the money, he might want to look at the old Win Model 12 also, a little more money but a proven life time weapon for hunting.
Would much rather have an old 37 or a model 12 than any Wingmaster that was ever built.
RGD/Dave

Those model 12 are great!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:08 pm

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 221084#PIC

16 gauge I 37 from the 1940's, couple hundred bucks.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:17 pm

mcbosco wrote:http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 221084#PIC

http://www.gunsamerica.com/988608439/Gu ... AR_NIC.htm#

this one is a little nicer no polychoke.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:28 pm

mcbosco wrote:
mcbosco wrote:http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 221084#PIC

http://www.gunsamerica.com/988608439/Gu ... AR_NIC.htm#

this one is a little nicer no polychoke.
Can't hardly get 16 guage shells here in the mid-west. And they are expensive if you find them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:58 pm

I agree on 16 gauge, just an example because 16 gauge guns are pretty collectible and these are pretty reasonably priced. The Ithaca 37 though just as good as a Model 12 just doesn't command a high price but you get quite a nice gun for the money.

There is hardly a gun shop or pawn shop on the east coast without a decent one for sale for $200 or less. Some need work but that shouldn't be an issue.

I am always looking for pre-war 37's with a modified choke.

MTR

Post by MTR » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:43 pm

love, love, love my 16gauge :) . I find shells a couple times a year at "bleep"'s sporting goods and Walmart of all places. Remington game loads 6's and 7.5's for $5 a box - buy whatever they have on the shelf and that's usually 2 unopened cases. I have disdain for Remington shells, but at that price it is downright affordable to shoot at hunt tests and training days as well as rough and woodcock season if I am not shooting my 28ga. I usually buy a few boxes of Golden Pheasant #5's for pheasant season. Finding Non-tox for WPA's is another story :cry:
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:54 am

EZZY,
16 Gauge shells are available all over the world on the internet, Lion Country & Rogers and many other businesses like them, will deliever the shells right to your door, no matter where in the world you live.
The shells might not be on the shelf in your area, but in 3 days you can have them.
I order 16 gauge shells from Lion Country all the time, high quality Fiocchi shells for reasonable money always available.
The 16 gauge 37 is a great little gun, especially the pre war guns, for probably the lowest price you will ever see a quality weapon, the old M12 Winchester is another quality weapon, now finding a 16 guage in real good shape is not as easy as it use to be, however they are around.
Both these older life time quality weapons are fantastic for the beginning hunter, and neither weapon will break the bank.
RGD/Dave

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:37 am

Well the gun show is tomorrow so hopefully I will find something good there. Seems all I can find lately is used express's for almost retail prices. You know the story well its been used for 6 yrs its beat to heck and woods splitting..... hmmm how bout 25$ bucks off what it was new........ WOW what a deal. Hahahahaha. Oh well Im sure Ill find something good sooner or later.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:45 am

Well have fun keep a sharp eye out for one of those vintage pumps, even the Sears Ranger guns. Those are very cool. Last one I saw was $125 in near perfect condition, from the 1950's could have been a Browning??

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:47 pm

mcbosco wrote:Well have fun keep a sharp eye out for one of those vintage pumps, even the Sears Ranger guns. Those are very cool. Last one I saw was $125 in near perfect condition, from the 1950's could have been a Browning??
Or a JC Higgins.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:31 pm

Did you make it to the gunshow today?

We have a booth there ...I saw quite a few wingmasters one was 125 bucks I didn't get a chance to talk to the guy selling as most the others I saw were about 350-500 bucks pending gauge and condition
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:06 am

Sorry K9 I never made it. The plan was to go but when we woke up with 2 kids running high temps plans changed. I am still keeping an eye out and hoping to meet someone this week on one. A nice looking wingmaster magnum with vr barrel fixed choke for 250.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:24 am

PS there are Plenty more shows coming up look under the web site http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/calendar.php

Tucson, AZ
Sept 17th - 18th Pima County Fairgrounds

Mesa, AZ
Sept 24th - 25th Centennial Hall

Glendale, AZ
Oct 29th - 30th University of Phoenix Stadium

Tucson, AZ
Nov 5th - 6th Pima County Fairgrounds

Mesa, AZ
Nov 12th - 13th Centennial Hall

Phoenix, AZ (Three Day Event!!)
Dec 2nd, 3rd, 4th Arizona State Fairgrounds

JAN

Tucson, AZ
7th - 8th Pima County Fairgrounds

Mesa, AZ
14th - 15th Centennial Hall

Phoenix, AZ
21st - 22nd Arizona State Fairgrounds
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

PZulu

Post by PZulu » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:34 pm

If you are looking for a good wingmaster call the pawn shops in Chandler. Someone will have one. Just go down the list. I went gun shopping at pawn shops in Chandler, found one store that had two wingmasters (this was a year ago), one of them my buddy bought.

Definitely do not buy a remington express. If you are set on a remington, winmasters are "ok" but I don't see why they are so great you could get a brand new shotguns for just a little more money that would probably be better. my express rusted so "bleep" fast , and would jam on the wally world shells. piece of crap. remington has gone down hill. I am planning on getting a Winchester SXP (pump) in a couple months.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:01 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Well I also want it to be known that I have never had anyone else purchase a firearm for me either but it really upsets me that a business to step on my constitutional right as a legal U.S. citizen with no criminal background whatsoever to purchase a firearm. I hate the fact that we are not allowed to purchase handguns out of state and now some businesses are extending that to encompass long guns as well. There is no good reason why someone who is legally permissible to buy a firearm in Alabama should not be able to come to Oklahoma and buy one. Stupid bureaucratic bs is what it is.
Lot of things bug me too, but, the business has the right to run their business any way they want. I just wouldn't buy anything from a business that does that. They have the right to run their business as they see fit and I have a right to buy from other places as I see fit. All works out in the end.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!