Stoeger o/u thoughts?

LaReineBritt

Stoeger o/u thoughts?

Post by LaReineBritt » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:32 pm

I was thinking of buying an over and under shotgun to try out this season and need some input. I'm looking at a 20 or 16ga. Gun as I will be using it for some grouse hopefully. Do you see any benefit in getting a 3" 20 ga over the 2 3/4? All thoughts/ideas/perspectives welcom.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Stoeger o/u thoughts?

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:44 pm

The stogers are heavy....my brother had one , i didnt like it much. Think if i was going inexpensive OU i would look at baikal or even the mossburg silver reserve.

personally if they offer it in 3inch i want it in 3 inch....just in case i want to shoot ducks or need to use it on phez on a windy day.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:21 pm

I shoot a Stoeger 20ga with 3 inch chambers.

Reasonably ugly, weight doesn't bother me, but it's not light. Cheap, so I don't care about it, and goes bang every time I pull the trigger.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Siskiyou Blues

Post by Siskiyou Blues » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:29 pm

I've heard hit and miss on the stoegers. I you can spend a little more I have heard the cz shotguns have much better consistency.

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:41 am

Check gunbroker you can get a great 20 gauge CZ for under $400.00. Much better deal then a Stoeger!

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:04 am

I shot a Yildiz (Academy Sports) O/U 20g 3in for several years during training. It was cheap, reliable, and light. It kicked even with #8 is how light it was. After 4 years it started having issues with the trigger selector / saftey switch. If you seen how I treat a gun while training and trialing, then 4 years is a long time for one to not have a thing wrong with it.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:05 am

I recently handled a Baikal bought through EAA. The guy that bought it also has a Krieghoff and a Blazer. I looked it over pretty thoroughly and for around $500 plus the transfer cost, I don't think you can do any better. While the receiver wasn't finished to that smooth luster on a Beretta, it was quite clear that every part was milled and not stamped. It locked up at tight as any Italian or Japanese gun. Barrels looked great too. Was even ported and had selective ejectors.

They even look a bit better as well.

I have a CZ Redhead in 20 gauge that I do like, no complaints but a new one costs $800 compared to a Baikal at $550 let say, no contest what to get.

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:20 am

I can say with out one doubt they are rough around the edges, however when I was in college I worked at a "bleep" Sporting Goods and sold thousands of those guns and I can honestly say we never had one returned (Condor O/U). NOT ONE! DSG had a special make-up in the condor that they had ejectors at one time, when i graduated a couple of years ago they still had the SMU that came w/ejectors! It was like 399.99 most of the time sometimes it would go to 369.99. My fiancee started bird hunting with me and she bought one, and handles it very well. She has the youth model, and loves it.

terrym

Post by terrym » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:32 am

I have handled one in the store and have no doubt it would do the job no problem if used as a hunting gun. Now if you use it as a trap/skeet/clays gun and run hundreds of rounds a week out of it then it is not the right gun. Realistically how many times a week do you fire at grouse? A grouse gun gets carried more than shot.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:41 am

terrym wrote:I have handled one in the store and have no doubt it would do the job no problem if used as a hunting gun. Now if you use it as a trap/skeet/clays gun and run hundreds of rounds a week out of it then it is not the right gun. Realistically how many times a week do you fire at grouse? A grouse gun gets carried more than shot.
That is so true.

britspan

Post by britspan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:24 pm

Personally I think buying a Yildiz or TriStar would be a good choice for the money. I was about to buy either a Stoeger or a Yildiz and ended up getting a Browning during Academy Sports firearm sale.

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:40 pm

CZ is probably the better choice...but I think they are all potential throw away guns. Get 10 years out of them without costs and you've done well.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:51 am

LaR Britt,
The guns are way to heavy for me, might try a Savage Malino or go with the SXS Stoeger 20 Guage.
I always recommend saving your money and purchasing higher quality life time weapons that can be passed down thru generations, purchase a good L.C. Smith 20 guage, a Browning Citori, a Churchill, a Win M21, or M12. I really don't believe in purchasing throw away weapons.
RGD/Dave

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:22 am

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:The guns are way to heavy for me, might try a Savage Malino or go with the SXS Stoeger 20 Guage.
I've got a 20 ga. SXS (Uplander) with 26" barrels. It seems well balanced, quick, fits me and it seems to hit what I'm shooting at.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:14 pm

fishvik,
Glad you like it and have fun hunting with her!
Dave

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:54 am

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:fishvik,
Glad you like it and have fun hunting with her!
Dave, Someday I hope to have a real nice sxs and get to hunt some of the that classic "partridge" habitat with spotted long haired and tailed dogs like you have back there. It's on my bucket list.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:08 am

Fishkiv,
We don't call them Partridge here in Pa, we call them Grouse, let me know when you want to come out this way, you can take a walk thu the mountains with us and the dogs.
Pine Creek