Advice Welcome- Shotgun for Woman

LivinPartOfLife

Advice Welcome- Shotgun for Woman

Post by LivinPartOfLife » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:04 pm

After much procrastination and debate, I have finally decided to put away my pride and look into a new shotgun. I currently own and love a Benelli Nova. However, as a 5'7" 118lb female, I can now acknowledge that the gun is just too heavy and long for me. After shooting 50 shells this afternoon, I couldn't hold the gun up long enough to wait for a pigeon to exit the barn.

I am requesting any and all input that you all would have regarding a lighter gun. All of the youth models that I have tried are a tad too short, leaving me in an awkward shooting position. However, the Nova is quite a stretch to reload while I still have the gun up. I'd like to stick with a 12 gauge. In a perfect world I would also like to at least have the option of 3 1/2" Bonus points for a semi auto.

My research keeps bringing me back to the Browning Maxus and the Winchester SX3 (possibly compact?). Any thoughts on these in particular? I am totally open to thoughts on ANY gun though.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Advice Welcome- Shotgun for Woman

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:24 pm

http://www.limbsaver.com/firearms/38-39-40.php

one of their recoil pads could help extend the stock end on a youth model
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:29 pm

You're my wife's size, maybe a hair taller...

Standard youth models fit her quite well, and she likes shooting them much more. Not sure who makes a youth model 12 gauge though...
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:23 am

12 BUL with a 24" barrel....6 1/4#...tough...great balance for so light a 12 gauge.
If you only shoot waterfowl, then perhaps other 12s at around 7# would be better.
Generally, it is hard to beat the BUL for many jobs.

Forget the 3 1/2"...lousy shell...great marketing idea.

Limbsaver makes a slip-on for high oomph shells...I use one on my BUL for turkeys with 3" cartouches.
Otherwise, not really needed.

At 5'7"....it is unlikely that you need, or will ever need, a youth model scattergun.
Buy a full size and adjust as necessary.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:01 am

Franchi 48 AL 20 gauge only?
Benelli Montefeltro

Both of these are very female-friendly. The Benelli is nice and slender for smaller hands.

The Monte, especially for the money, has to be one of the best semis ever sold. Will also hold its value really well.

If you go with a Browning or Winchester you better love them because they wont be worth much after a year or two.

The NOVA while very well made is just not the gun for a person your size.

Shoot the Monte if you can. Heirloom piece.

terrym

Post by terrym » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:47 am

The most important thing in a shotgun is how it "fits" you. If it doesn't fit well it will never shoot well for you. You seem to insist on the 3.5" shell so my guess is you are a waterfowler and hunt geese alot? If that's the case then you really shoul stick to a semi and I would agree with the last poster, the Benelli line is the place I would start. Also be prepared to shorten the stock a bit if needed , it could change things alot.
Last edited by terrym on Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:52 am

LivenPartoflife,
I do believe part of your problem is the 3.5 you have sometimes been shooting, we have an old Win Model 12, 16 Gauge pump gun that fit the ladies just right and
its more than adequate for shooting Pigeons. Nice light gun the does not kick the ladies around and drops live birds on the wing just fine. Unless you are a Goose hunter,
I recommend getting rid of the the heavy gun with the 3.5 chamber. Very little need for a Pigeon or Grouse shooter to carry a gun that needs wheels,
RGD/Dave

LivinPartOfLife

Post by LivinPartOfLife » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:55 am

Thanks for all the input so far. I do goose hunt more than anything else. Thus, the reason why I like the option of 3 1/2" Hopefully it would never come to this, but I just don't want to be out of ammo with geese still flying in and not be able to borrow shells from the guys. We are planning to stick with just 3" shells this year so perhaps I shouldn't even dwell on having the option.

terrym

Post by terrym » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:29 am

LivinPartOfLife wrote:Thanks for all the input so far. I do goose hunt more than anything else. Thus, the reason why I like the option of 3 1/2" Hopefully it would never come to this, but I just don't want to be out of ammo with geese still flying in and not be able to borrow shells from the guys. We are planning to stick with just 3" shells this year so perhaps I shouldn't even dwell on having the option.
A well fitting 3" semi that you shoot well will dump far more geese than an ill fitting one who's only benefit is shooting a heavier harder recoiling load. You really need to handle them all to get the "feel". And when you do go to the gunshop, bring your favourite hunting coat. Snapping a gun to your shoulder wearing thin summer clothing isn't a good way to evaluate fit of a gun.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:35 am

Bring gloves too.

acobra

Post by acobra » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:35 am

Benelli makes a lightweight 12 ga semi auto gun that is as light as a 20 ga. I have one and use it in South Dakota a lot because I take off cross country in the field a lot and carry the gun for miles and miles. Arm fatigue is a factor on proper swing speed on hitting birds or targets, so I go as light as I can. This is a full size gun and they also make a 20 ga version.....

Check one out at a gun dealer and you'll be shocked at the weight! I hope this helps...

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:05 am

See if you can find a used beretta 303 around and try it out for fit.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:45 am

I think your only option is the Benelli Super Black Eagle. Try to get the 26 inch barrell It will swing and carry nicer for you. The Franchi Al 48 20 guage Is a great gun But you said you wanted 12 ga and 3 1/2. Might look into buying both. The benelli cycles anything I feed it dove loads to goose 3 1-2. but when out walking I like to carry the little toothpick al-48. Never found a gun that is perfect for everything. I dont golf but i would think It would be like playing golf with only one club in the bag (which would be okay too as long as i had a cooler full of cold ones)

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:54 am

I just saw the other post, they do make and Al 48 in 12 guage but it doesent chamber 3 1/2. Its light but not as light as the Benelli super black eagle in 26" I have seen some of the used super black eagles go for 800 on guns america.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:08 am

There is a new Super Black Eagle line called "America Series", not sure what how it differs.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:23 am

I have been hunting waterfowl since i was knee high to a grasshopper. I have never in my life shot a 3 1/2 inch shell, and
I live in a very goose rich state.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno