Mossberg Accu-steel choke?

Mollyontherun

Mossberg Accu-steel choke?

Post by Mollyontherun » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:03 pm

I just picked up a Mossberg extended Accu-steel choke for my 20 gauge. I emailed the factory and they sent me a note that said both the "Accu-choke" and the "Accu-steel" are .602

Since there the same diameter, does anyone know the difference between the two?

I also noticed on the Mossberg website that the Accu-Steel choke is discontinued. they still sell the Accu-Choke but advertise it for lead and steel.

Appreciate any insights.

I plan to pattern this choke in a couple weeks.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: Mossberg Accu-steel choke?

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:26 pm

A guess:
Accu-choke is their standard choke system.
Accu-steel is simply the extended choke tube of the accu-choke system lengthened to reduce possible negative affects of the steel in certain constrictions to a spot outside the barrel walls....and for marketing purposes.
I believe Mossberg has another niche or marketing point as well....don't recall it's name tho.

Mollyontherun

Choke is not what I expected

Post by Mollyontherun » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:44 am

I just picked up a Mossberg extended Accu-steel choke for my 20 gauge. I emailed the factory and they sent me a note that said both the "Accu-choke" and the "Accu-steel" are .602
I received the choke in the mail a few days ago. The imprint on the Mod. Accu-Steel choke says .611 :oops: so much for emailing the factory and them telling me it was .602

I think this choke is an IC constricted choke that is supposed to throw a modified pattern, and the extended choke is suppose to protect the end of the barrel and keep the pattern tighter. Anyway... I'll pattern this choke with #2 1550 Kent Fasteel and see what the pattern looks like. If all goes right... I'll use this choke for duck season and see how it performs.

I also picked up a Briley IC choke ( I lost my Briley Mod choke). If all goes well on the pattering board... I'm going to use this choke for Phez shooting 3" Fiochi #5 and 2 3/4" #4 Remington Pheasant loads. This will be a change because I've been shooting Mod. on Phez and quail for 9 years. I thought I would give an IC a try and see if I hit more birds and have less cripples. Seems like most of my shots are almost always under 40 yards.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Mossberg Accu-steel choke?

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:21 am

Steel naturally patterns tighter, the slightly more open choke on the accu steel model makes perfect sense.

I use a mod for almost everything, except close in shooting like timber hole woodies or quail over pointers......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Mollyontherun

Re: Mossberg Accu-steel choke? Big Hole!

Post by Mollyontherun » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:07 pm

Patterned the Accu- Steel using Kent fasteel #2 3" 7/8 oz. 1550 fps. A consistent big hole in the middle of my pattern. Glad I only paid $17 for this choke.

Next patterned the new IC Briley choke using the same round. Excellent pattern at 30 and 40 yds.

Next took the Briley IC out Phez hunting on a preserve. Used #4 Remington 2 3/4 Phez Loads. Did not miss a shot and put down 5 Phez at various ranges under 40 yds. I had been using an older Mod. choke I'm sticking with the Briley IC choke this phez & duck season :)

Oh, yeah, Molly also got a phez on her own :)