410 steel shot

skrasienko

410 steel shot

Post by skrasienko » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:33 am

Does anyone know where i can find steel or non-tox shot for a 410 that is not expensive I'm in Ohio

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: 410 steel shot

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:16 pm

I believe that WW has loaded steel, 6s maybe?, in a 410 in the past, not sure about now...tho why anyone would purchase it is beyond me.

Any other non-tox would be more expensive than factory steel.

Do the critters a favor and pass.

skrasienko

Post by skrasienko » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:26 pm

I'm planning on taking my son duck hunting this fall and he is only 8 so a 410 is about all he can handle right now. what is WW

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:36 pm

skrasienko wrote:I'm planning on taking my son duck hunting this fall and he is only 8 so a 410 is about all he can handle right now. what is WW
Do him a favor and let him grow up a little. I wouldn't send you out with a 410 plus steel shot and it isn't fair to give him a gun that an expert shot would have trouble with let alone a small boy that has no experience. There is no quicker way in my experience to turn a kid off of hunting than to have them spend all of that time and he can't hit a bird or to take a kid fishing and not put a hook on his line.

I found my boys were maybe ready at 11 or 12 when they could handle the gun safely though they still needed supervision to make sure they were mentally handling the responsibilities. But I am from a different generation. I've seen too many kids started too early and they were bored within a couple of years because they couldn't handle the tools to succeed.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:15 pm

skrasienko, Winchester xpert steel is about the cheapest you can find, comes in steel shot but runs I believe about $11 a box. I think its great that your starting him early. My 10 year old got his first buck this year. Although a 410 is a disadvantage it is all my son is using right now and it doesn't discourage him by any means.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:35 am

skrasienko wrote:I'm planning on taking my son duck hunting this fall and he is only 8 so a 410 is about all he can handle right now. what is WW
Glad you are taking the lad with you, swell idea...but 8 is a bit young to shoot with as little experience as you both appear to have....WW is basically Winchester.
At that age I would bet a good sized donut that he would find a great day just being with dad in a blind rather than fretting about killing stuff....plenty of time for that.
Burn out is possible....too much success too early, a bad thing.
Let him work and earn his way into tapping a trigger on a hunt....build desire and keenness over time....pass on the hurry.
Too many parents appear to want to brag at the barbershop that Joey killed ...something.
A 410 for all but very fragile flying stuff is a wounder or a platform to brag....as I say, give the critters a break! and let your son grow into a scattergun as he grows into the sport of hunting.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:04 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Glad you are taking the lad with you, swell idea...but 8 is a bit young to shoot with as little experience as you both appear to have....WW is basically Winchester.
At that age I would bet a good sized donut that he would find a great day just being with dad in a blind rather than fretting about killing stuff....plenty of time for that.
Burn out is possible....too much success too early, a bad thing.
Let him work and earn his way into tapping a trigger on a hunt....build desire and keenness over time....pass on the hurry.
Too many parents appear to want to brag at the barbershop that Joey killed ...something.
A 410 for all but very fragile flying stuff is a wounder or a platform to brag....as I say, give the critters a break! and let your son grow into a scattergun as he grows into the sport of hunting.
So very very true. You said it better than I. Kids need to earn their priviledge and not be given themsince human nature proves anything that isn't earner is not long respected. True for adults as well.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:06 am

Sorry for the brag it was a proud moment for my son as well as me, I put it out there as so many other people have done. After following me around in the field since age 5 he had earned his right to be carrying a gun. In my youth we all followed our dads on hunting and fishing trips, that how I grew to love the sport. I can think of nothing better than a day of ice fishing with my 4 year old, I don't think I'm ruining him. I think that parents that find it more convenient to leave the kids at home playing video games are doing more of a disservice to their children. I am lucky to live in a MN that has lowered it shooting age in order to get kids involve in hunting after urging of hunting clubs. I think in this generation if we wait to long the kids take no interest in hunting. I see it all the time from the guys who don't take their kids with because it would cramp their style or are to lazy, then when they are 12 they take them out video games in hand without any desire to try.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:42 am

Well, the "bragging" comment was not directed your way, N but rather indicative of a growing practice I increasingly see and hear all the time.... with TV and product marketing showing the way....by kids often unable to hold up a gun.
Rather than being defensive and mentioning "fishing" with a 4 year-old or "ruining him" you might want to note the "swell" mention of mine re taking a kid along...on any outdoor outing.
That practice is way different than some of the truely young children who kill stuff for their pop's credibility....as few, I know our own kids are always the exception, very young boys or girls really know what is represented by pressing that trigger or what is required to be put in that position.
They do know that parent or grandparent are pleased as punch....and that "they did good."
Developing interest in "hunting" is good, great and important....focusing on a payoff with stuff dead can lead to missing much and a value based on success rather than the process, IMHO.
I see not the rush.
Again, you fundamentally misjudge my thoughts if you fall to talking about lazy parents, style-cramping or convenience.
Desire need not carry a pistol grip.

As far as lowering a legal hunting age being a sound idea...we simply disagree.

The point re using a 410 falls first, to me, with respect for the game and not with either a parent's wish or a child's ability to wield a scattergun.
A large portion of any hunter's resposibility.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:50 pm

Mountaineer, the fishing comment was in reply to Ezzy, while he may feel the need to wait till a kid is older to hunt and FISH and he stated, I do not. The lowering the hunting age, I would like to expand on. Two years age SD started a hunter mentoring program (they probably weren't the first) then MN followed last year, in which a ten year old can go hunting with an unarmed adult who is within arms length away. I think it was a great way to start a child hunting where it requires an adult to follow and observe the safety of the child without the interference of having a gun themselves. I can't think of a better way to teach a child, and if the parent doesn't think their child is ready for hunting then they don't have to take them.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:07 pm

Some folks do get in a hurry, I agree....in many states.
While it would be hard to argue with a parent making any decision for their child, the trend seems to indicate that teaching today, with deer and turkey especially, is more often a cover for "my kid got his, yours scored yet?"
And if that rush to kill is coupled with a choice of a weapon based on immature muscles or recoil intolerance then that seems a poor measure to hold up against any critter.
I think that there should be practical minimums for the taking of any animal...from oomph to age.
Many disagree.
All depends upon where value and importance is placed.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:21 pm

Lots of hot air in here.... :lol:

I took my first ducks at 9 with a 410 and now i know my father and grandfather were just looking for bragging rights :roll: God Bless their souls.

You and only you know if your boy is ready....don't let some holier than thou's make your decision for you.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:32 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Lots of hot air in here.... :lol:
And in barbershops. :D

I agree tho....self is a trump card.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:51 pm

My buddy has his 8 yr old carry her Pink Red Ryder BB gun and she has all the fun in the world going hunting with Dad maybe get him a BB gun to carry ?