Russian Baikal O/U's

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Russian Baikal O/U's

Post by mcbosco » Sun May 08, 2011 10:13 am

These guns are back through EAA. I saw one a few years back and the metal work is really well done for a $500 gun. The wood is just average and functional.

Supposedly very reliable and durable.

kylemac

Re: Russian Baikal O/U's

Post by kylemac » Sun May 08, 2011 12:47 pm

I have considered several Baikal O/Us and will likely pick one up in the near term.
I believe some of the woodwork is very nice – especially the darker walnuts. You do need to compare a few as some have much nicer woods and finishes than others. The mechanics may not be as fine as it’s $2-5K peers, but for the price, they seem hard to beat.

Regards,
Kyle

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:54 pm

The only one i've ever handled in couldnt get shut, literally it wouldnt close until i flipped it over and used my leg for leverage.

I'll pass.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Tue May 10, 2011 9:06 pm

I picked up one of their 20 gauge side-by-sides for my wife and daughters to use, and it has much nicer wood than most of the more expensive guns in my cabinet. The action was very stiff initially, but loosened up with a little use and is fine now. I paid $400 for it new, and so far it's proven to be a surprisingly good value.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed May 11, 2011 5:35 am

My father bought a 12 ga O/U and loves it. Durable, inexpensive and reliable. Like ckirsch mentioned the action was a little stiff at first but did loosen up and the wood on my fathers is actually pretty darn nice for the money. I believe my fathers also has ejectors, don't think you normally see that with cheaper guns. I was told by a local/respected gun guy that its the best O/U you can buy for the money. My 2 cents.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed May 11, 2011 6:30 am

I shoot an o/u baikal in a 20ga and love it. the wood is a little light for my personal preference, but I may take the time to refinish it. Mine also has ejectors. I bought it used and choke tubes were a little hard to locate, but i got them through carlsons. I will say that from time to time I have had to break it over my knee but that has been the exception rather than the rule.

I have a hard time finding O/Us that point well for me, but my Baikal points like a dream.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Bama

Post by Bama » Sat May 21, 2011 7:42 am

I have a Baikal O/U 20 ga for about 10 years. Like other's have said, it was a little stiff at first but after use it's fine now. It is not as light as my Franchi 20 ga. Wood is not as fine as a more expensive gun. Never a problem and always reliable. Great value. I think I paid around $500.00.
On the other hand I bought a Franchi 20 ga O/U about the same time. It would not fire from time to time and leave a dimple on the shell. It got worse with more use. Finally brought to gunsmith and he said spring was not hitting fireing pin hard enough and he adjusted. Have not had opportunity to use that gun much but time will tell if that fixed it. I think I paid $1500.oo to $1700.00 for the franchi. It's very light and shoots great, when working. Just wanted to pass this along.

ccavacini

Post by ccavacini » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:56 pm

I bought a IZH 43 about five years ago...a 28 gauge sxs. Thinned down the wrist...made the pistol grip into a straight grip...sanded it all, and applied Watco's Danish finnish oil...ended up with this.Image