New at reloading

JasonW77

New at reloading

Post by JasonW77 » Sat May 07, 2011 10:42 am

My step father just gave me a sizemaster reader. I was wondering if any of you could tell me where I can find steel shot? where I live and hunt we can't use lead. Also is their a good book out there on reloading since I'm new at this. Any information or help would be great.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: New at reloading

Post by slistoe » Sat May 07, 2011 11:15 am

Hodgdon, DuPont, Winchester Western all used to have excellent resources on their web pages with load data. Also they all put out reloading manuals that will have all the information you need for cooking up some loads for whatever purpose you should choose.
Don't know where to get steel shot in your area.

JasonW77

Post by JasonW77 » Sat May 07, 2011 11:45 am

can you order it on line or is it better to buy local

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat May 07, 2011 12:33 pm

I would think that shipping costs on shot would be very high. You will need to go to your local store for gunpowder and primers, may as well pick up shot and wads at the same time.

PS - be very sure that you are following a recipe for steel shot. Never try and make shells with lead shot data and simply use steel (unless you don't like your gun, hands, face etc.)

MTR

Post by MTR » Sat May 07, 2011 8:49 pm

Precision Reloading will send steel shot in a USPS flat rate package. With the cost of lead and the reduction in the weight per shell due to the density difference, I have found the shot cost about equal per shell. The cost of the special wads and powder can up the cost above regular lead shells.

http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/m ... STEEL_SHOT

here are some loads with components from BPI:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/load11-16-102.htm
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon May 09, 2011 7:12 am

Jason, This place has good prices on wads and shot and ships pretty cheap.
http://www.bucksrunsports.com/

I've reloaded steel for a while and have found that a 1 1/8 oz load going1200-1300 fps gives a good pattern for ducks and pheasants shot out of my 870 with a IC choke. Good luck and make sure your reloader has the components to load steel. My MEC need some part replacements, shot/powder tub and charge bar.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Ballistic Products is where I buy my steel reloading items from, the Helarco steel shot wads they sell are less expensive than most others and I have had great luck with them. When hunting WMA areas in Montana you have to shoot steel, I reload 7/8 oz #4 at 1690 fps in a 2 3/4" Fiocchi hull, plenty good on pheasant to 45 yds, same load I use while duck hunting when there is not a chance of a goose. Cost is in the 7-8 dollar a box range I think, cant remember exactly. This load takes Hodgdon Longshot which meters well through a charge bar, and the #4 shot meters well also. BP's Status of Steel manual and Lowrys 5th ed. are both good reads to learn more about reloading.

JasonW77

Post by JasonW77 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:39 pm

I use shot size 7 for quail and chuckers and haven't found a charge bar that small for steel. Can only find up to 6. Am I just making a newbie mistake and not understanding what I'm looking at? I prefer using 7.5 but don't see steel shot that small or bar.

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Wed May 11, 2011 10:31 pm

I found the Lyman shotshell reloading handbook to be helpful. I usually buy my reloading supplies from my local trap and skeet club they've always been cheaper than anyone else so you may want to check with your local gun club.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:30 am

JasonW77 wrote:I use shot size 7 for quail and chuckers and haven't found a charge bar that small for steel. Can only find up to 6. Am I just making a newbie mistake and not understanding what I'm looking at? I prefer using 7.5 but don't see steel shot that small or bar.

My understanding is that as steel is much lighter than lead, you need to go two sizes larger to get the same foot-pounds of energy. That is, # 6 steel equals #8 lead . Thus #5 steel equals #7 lead.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Thu May 19, 2011 10:17 pm

Steve007 wrote:
JasonW77 wrote:I use shot size 7 for quail and chuckers and haven't found a charge bar that small for steel. Can only find up to 6. Am I just making a newbie mistake and not understanding what I'm looking at? I prefer using 7.5 but don't see steel shot that small or bar.

My understanding is that as steel is much lighter than lead, you need to go two sizes larger to get the same foot-pounds of energy. That is, # 6 steel equals #8 lead . Thus #5 steel equals #7 lead.
That is somewhat true, made more sense when steel first came out and they were loading in the 1200-1300 fps range, and translates better with bigger pellets. I would load some #6s for quail, 7/8 oz in the 1500-1600 fps range, this will give you 275 pellets or so, plenty enough for a good pattern and all components easily run through a reloader, I use a adjustable charge bar with a scale to set it up. For chukars I would load a 7/8 oz or 1 oz #4 around 1600 fps, 5s would work also, but would rather have 4s incase you encountered any phez or sharpies, I use the 7/8 oz 4s for phez and ducks with great success.