Hevi-Shot for Vintage Guns

k2k

Hevi-Shot for Vintage Guns

Post by k2k » Tue May 03, 2011 9:30 am

My dad gave me a 20 ga. Fox Sterlingworth for Christmas (thanks, Dad! :D ).

Of course, now Fish and Wildlife has changed the rules regarding toxic shot in areas they release phez in, which comprises about 50% of my hunting and I have to use non-tox shot.

Is the Hevi-Shot non-tox for vintage guns going to harm the barrels? I'd really like to use the gun as much as I can, but doing no harm to it is the first consideration.

Thanks!

Karen

ymepointer

Re: Hevi-Shot for Vintage Guns

Post by ymepointer » Tue May 03, 2011 6:44 pm

Man you have a GREAT dad!!! Fox Sterlingworth....an american classic, I am so envious. Good luck with it. I usually use bithmus shells in my Lefever Nitro special, but I know hevi makes a flavor for vintage guns. Does your sterlingworth have fluid steel barrels, like I think it does? If so it should be ok with this

http://www.hevishot.com/catalog/index.p ... uct_id=228

JKP

Post by JKP » Tue May 03, 2011 8:26 pm

Have used the Hevi shot classic in a pre-war Sauer 16 gauge....you don't want to do it too often...gets expensive quick. It seemed to pattern very tight....I'd be interested to know what kind of wad they are using...but in a SK1 barrel, it was patterning LM at 35 yards. Strange looking shot....

k2k

Post by k2k » Wed May 04, 2011 9:19 am

ymepointer wrote:Man you have a GREAT dad!!! Fox Sterlingworth....an american classic, I am so envious. Good luck with it. I usually use bithmus shells in my Lefever Nitro special, but I know hevi makes a flavor for vintage guns. Does your sterlingworth have fluid steel barrels, like I think it does? If so it should be ok with this

http://www.hevishot.com/catalog/index.p ... uct_id=228
I had seen an ad for it and wondered about using it. Seems like it would be fine but just want to be sure! Don't really care about the expense, I don't get a whole lot of shots :oops:

I don't know abut the barrels, I'll ask Pa. or just bring it down to a dealer I guess.

Thanks, Yme and JKP!

Karen

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:12 pm

The Hevi-Shot Classic Doubles should be fine, besides the softer shot, they are typically lower pressures and a little less violent than most modern loads.

Doodle

Post by Doodle » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:05 am

You may want to look at RST shot shells.