which one?

Ranger351

which one?

Post by Ranger351 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:36 pm

So I am considering a Stevens 512 as well as a Mossbery Silver Reserve. Have heard both good and bad revies but all are relatively older. Any one know anything on the guns currently that have been produced since the flaws? Also considering a Yildiz from Academy if I can figure out how to get one since its in another state.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: which one?

Post by nikegundog » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:38 pm

Don't trust magazine reviews. I purchased a new gun last year after reading Approximately 10 fantastic reviews in 10 different magazines. I got home and it I had problems with it jamming, I then checked the internet blogs and it was a REALLY common problem. I then contacted the manufacturer and they knew of the problem also. It amazing that a big gun company could produce a crappy product with known problems and still receive stunning reviews. If just one magazine would have given a honest review I would have made a better choice.

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:48 pm

I have only read the internet reviews.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:11 am

I have 2 Yildiz and a Mossberg Silver Reserve. I love the Yildiz and bought them new. I got a good deal on the Silver Reserve and so far have only put a couple of boxes of shells through it on clay pigeons but have had no problems with it. That being said, my Yildiz are both a lot lighter to carry and I have had absolutely not a single problem with them, they are fantastic. The wood on them is really nice, the blueing holds up very well, the wood to metal fit is great, comes with 5 chokes and a choke tube and the price on them is right as well. I live in Oklahoma but so far out in the middle of nowhere that I actually live closer to Amarillo, Tx. than I do anywhere of significance in Oklahoma. I bought my guns in Amarillo with an out of state license with no problem. If you are a bordering state you should not have any problems buying long guns at Academy but I do know they will not ship them. My Silver Reserve is a bit heavier and only came with Mod. and Imp. Mod. chokes so the judgement is still out on it till I get some more open chokes and shoot more clay pigeons with it and until I can take it pheasant hunting this winter. I actually bought it for my wife because it has 26" barrels which makes for a shorter sight plain for my 5'3" wife than her Winchester 1200 pump with a 28" barrel. It feels a little short and small to me but I am almost 6'4" tall and a bit over 300 lbs. so take that for what it is worth. So far my wife hasn't had a chance to shoot it. Good luck with whatever you get but the Yildiz are really nice for the money.

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:48 am

Problem is I'm in Az so no academy anywhere but might get a friend to pick one not sure yet.

jayhawkj

Post by jayhawkj » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:45 am

I'm sold on the Yildiz. My brother has a Mossberg Silver and it miss fires, my Yildiz has never had a problem of any kind.

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:37 am

Anyone in az with a yildiz? Also curious about a slightly older wingmaster

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:21 pm

Ranger351,
You are not going to like this, however I always advise people who are purchasing weapons to save their money and purchase a quality proven weapon. If you do not have the money right now, save a little at a time and purchase a quality weapon that will last many generations. If you need to start out purchasing a used quality weapon
like an old Model 12 Winchester, or a field grade L.C. Smith, or an old Remington 1100 if you like Semi Auto, invest in a proven weapon from a reputable gun shop. Your idea of looking at the older Wingmaster is not a bad idea at all.
My advise is to stay away from most of these new cheaper weapons, most are no where near the quality, and run almost as much in cost, as the older used quality weapons.
RGD/Dave

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:01 pm

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:Ranger351,
You are not going to like this, however I always advise people who are purchasing weapons to save their money and purchase a quality proven weapon. If you do not have the money right now, save a little at a time and purchase a quality weapon that will last many generations. If you need to start out purchasing a used quality weapon
like an old Model 12 Winchester, or a field grade L.C. Smith, or an old Remington 1100 if you like Semi Auto, invest in a proven weapon from a reputable gun shop. Your idea of looking at the older Wingmaster is not a bad idea at all.
My advise is to stay away from most of these new cheaper weapons, most are no where near the quality, and run almost as much in cost, as the older used quality weapons.
RGD/Dave
I would look for a nice Ithaca 37. Lovely pre-war guns can be found for $200 - $500. This one from the early 60's looks nice:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 384541#PIC

Modified Choke too

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:11 am

I have a Stevens 512 it has never given me any problems at all, I shoot it so well that I use it for everything from dove to upland waterfowl and a few times on turkey. I love it could ask for a better gun in the 5-6 hundred range.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:55 pm

mcbosco,
Yes sir that old Ithaca 37 is the kind of older quality weapon I am advising him to purchase, proven quality weapon at a very decent cost.
RGD/Dave

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:29 pm

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:mcbosco,
Yes sir that old Ithaca 37 is the kind of older quality weapon I am advising him to purchase, proven quality weapon at a very decent cost.
RGD/Dave
Darn that is a nice piece...shhhhh...I may bid on it. I haven't seen one like that with a modified choke in a long long time.

Dirtysailor

Post by Dirtysailor » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:01 am

Shameless plug but I am selling a Field Grade LC Smith on this site if you are interested.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:54 pm

Dirty Sailor,
OK you got my attention with the selling of the L.C. Smith, what guage and what is the SN? How much do you want for the gun, what shape is she in, post some pictures here please.
RGD/Dave