New or Used 1100 barrel?

Mollyontherun

New or Used 1100 barrel?

Post by Mollyontherun » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:01 am

I just received my "new" Remington 1100 barrel. Came in an official remington box. Remington info. on etched on barrel.
No scratches or dings on the barrel... but when I ran a patch through barrel- it came out dirty with powder residue.

Does Remington test these barrels or did the online company sell me a used barrel?

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: New or Used 1100 barrel?

Post by BigShooter » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:43 am

How do you know for certain it's powder residue? They generally would have little reason to test a non-rifled barrel except they could check the point of aim periodically to ensure the quality of the bore, especially if some other company manufactured barrels for them. You would expect that the barrel would be cleaned after a test firing, though. If the barrel is "like new" and performs well, you really haven't lost anything except that none of us like being mislead.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

claybuster_aa

Re: New or Used 1100 barrel?

Post by claybuster_aa » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:10 pm

I've run patches through new barrels and they always come out dirty. Sometimes a reddish color. I think maybe companies coat with a light grease on a finished product. That could sit around for a while, years maybe, and when you clean it for the first time will come out looking dirty.
A good bird dog is always the right color