What Kind of Choke for the REM. 1100?

Mollyontherun

What Kind of Choke for the REM. 1100?

Post by Mollyontherun » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:04 pm

I hope no one minds if I start a new thread on my Rem. 3" Magnum 1100 12 g. I just ordered a steel shot barrel with a rem choke system. Unfortunately, the barrel comes with a screw in flush full choke- Dooh!!! I already have a fixed full barrel on it now.

Any opinions on the what kind choke I should use to shoot steel while Duck hunting? What are the advantages to a Patternmaster type choke, or just buying an under $20 Skeet Rem. choke?

Also, appreciate any opinions on what type of choke for turkey hunting (the gun has a scope). We'll pattern the new full choke in the steel barrel against the existing fixed barrel to see which gives the best pattern.

Appreciate your opinions.

jimbo&rooster

Re: What Kind of Choke for the REM. 1100?

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:16 pm

My experience with steel shot is that generally speaking the more open choke the better it tends to pattern. I do use a Pattern Master for snow geese, and for shooting ducks and geese on the river. The PM chokes tend to work better with slower loads in my experience. You will very rarely see me waterfowl hunt with anything other than a factory IC this tends to give me a good pattern for clean kills on Decoyed ducks. I will say because it makes a difference, Ive found that my Gun/choke combo really likes FIocchi 1 9/16oz #1s and #2s at like 1400fps.

Most people will tell you that steel will pattern one choke tube tighter than with lead. ie, IC=Modish, Mod= Fullish

Good luck
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: What Kind of Choke for the REM. 1100?

Post by ACooper » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:54 pm

Poly choke 2 ... Then you can change it at will.

Mollyontherun

Choke and optic site for the REM. 1100 Steel Barrel

Post by Mollyontherun » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:44 pm

I was able to take the new "26" Remington Steel Shot barrel out duck hunting last weekend. It's much lighter than the old "28" fixed full barrel. Absolutely loved the way it handled.

The barrel came with a full choke. I'm not sure why Remington would include a FULL CHOKE on a barrel designed for steel. I'm cynical, so my best guess is that Remington wants us to go and buy a new choke for the barrel- which is what I did. I bought a Remington IC flush choke. Does anyone know why Remington would sell the Steel Barrel with a Full?

I also used a new magnetic Truglo site on the gun. I like the site... however, I need to shoot the gun more to determine whether this is something that will enhance my shooting.

At the end of the day I was able to bag a Drake Widgeon and a Drake Green WingTeal. BTW- I shot Kent Fast Steel #1 3" shells.