Charles Daly Shotguns

Onk

Charles Daly Shotguns

Post by Onk » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:13 am

Do any of you have any first hand knowledge of the Charles Daly line of shotguns? I hunted with a group of men in KS. and all but 1 shot a Charles Daly 20 ga. and swore by them. They all said for the price you can't go wrong with one. I have always been a pump gunner but after a few years away from the field I am thinking of going the semi-auto route. I have always been a 20ga. guy except for turkey hunting.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

mtclip

Re: Charles Daly Shotguns

Post by mtclip » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:00 am

I have one and it shoots very well.Lightweight and fast enough!!

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:02 am

Charles Daly does not make shotguns, they import guns made for them with their name on them. I had one, a SxS in 12 ga. I used it for a training gun for years and it was a super gun. Ben dropped in the field and lost countless times when young dogs needed caught!

My son has that gun now and brought it by last weekend. I fooled with it and opened and shut it a bunch and other than the wear I put on it, it's still solid as can be. Is the auto built the same? No clue but after my experience with that one if I wanted an auto I'd sure try one. I don't know who makes them any more but my SxS was made by Mirouku of Japan.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:14 am

I have a 20 gauge auto loader that my daughter uses to hunt with. The gun cycles flawlessly and it is light weight so she doesn't have a hard time carrying it all day and the recoil is more than manageable for her. The gun we have is made in Turkey. Hope this helps.
Last edited by NC Quailhunter on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

Oldfarmer

Post by Oldfarmer » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:36 pm

Charles Daly and the company that owned them is out of business. Over the last several years they did import some pretty good guns. However if you buy one now and ever need any parts for it, you may just need to make a floor lamp out of it. It might make a darn good looking floor lamp though. If the price was right I'd shoot one for a while.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:50 pm

Thanks for the info, did not know they went belly up. Looking for a semi auto 20 ga. for not alot of money and I thought a Charles Daly might be the one. Guess its my ole Savage pump and the ole model 12 for now, the search goes on!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:01 pm

Onk wrote:Thanks for the info, did not know they went belly up. Looking for a semi auto 20 ga. for not alot of money and I thought a Charles Daly might be the one. Guess its my ole Savage pump and the ole model 12 for now, the search goes on!
Look for a used but well cared for Beretta or Benelli. A used Benelli Montefeltro is a very sweet gun.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:41 pm

mcbosco wrote:
Onk wrote:Thanks for the info, did not know they went belly up. Looking for a semi auto 20 ga. for not alot of money and I thought a Charles Daly might be the one. Guess its my ole Savage pump and the ole model 12 for now, the search goes on!
Look for a used but well cared for Beretta or Benelli. A used Benelli Montefeltro is a very sweet gun.
Except you have to remember not to bump the bolt handle and better yet a number of owners developed the habit of periodically pressing forward on the handle to ensure the bolt head is fully engaged and will fire when you pull the trigger. It sucks when you can't get off a shot.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:30 pm

My oldest brother has one and its still works alright after several years of his abuse. Not field abuse, just general idiotic behavior and misuse. If it will hold up for him, that a testament in itself. :roll: :lol:

They are not about aesthetics, obviously, and for the price they can't be. But If you're looking for a cheap shotgun they're a dandy for the money.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:56 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:My oldest brother has one and its still works alright after several years of his abuse. Not field abuse, just general idiotic behavior and misuse. If it will hold up for him, that a testament in itself. :roll: :lol:

They are not about aesthetics, obviously, and for the price they can't be. But If you're looking for a cheap shotgun they're a dandy for the money.
One what, a Benelli Monte or a Charles Daly? I can read a lot of minds but I get nothing when I try to read yours! :P :mrgreen:
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:19 pm

BigShooter wrote:
prairiefirepointers wrote:My oldest brother has one and its still works alright after several years of his abuse. Not field abuse, just general idiotic behavior and misuse. If it will hold up for him, that a testament in itself. :roll: :lol:

One what, a Benelli Monte or a Charles Daly? I can read a lot of minds but I get nothing when I try to read yours! :P :mrgreen:
Charles Daly.. Sorry, I should've been more specific. But I figured the lack of aesthetics and cheap would've weeded out Benelli. :lol:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:25 pm

I shoot a charles daly field a bunch, its light and I shoot it really well. I like the way it feels and handles. I paid $200 for it 6 years ago, put one new bolt handle in it. Other than has been good to go.

rolawson

Post by rolawson » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:38 pm

I had one and my wife had one. Both of them had issues. Mine started to double feed and my wifes started to shot twice when the trigger was pulled. Traded them off to a gunsmith. Just keep in mind, they are a $300 shotgun. You get what you pay for.

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:45 pm

I have 20 gauge semi auto. I love this gun, it's light weight for all day carry and I have not had malfunction yet! I went to buy a 12 gauge this year and found the company had gone out of business. That's a shame because for the money, around 300 I could not be happier with it.

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:37 pm

Charles Dalys can span the gamut, the really old ones are pretty nice and some are collectable. I have a friend who collects the old Side by Sides and O/U's.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:45 am

Some older models were made in Japan by Miruko, same company making Browning Citori's. I think they were better made shotgun than what you would find today. I think newer C. Daly guns (possibly made in Italy) are not as well built as the older Japanese models. For hunting the newer ones I'm sure will get the job done, but for a regular shooter, all year round target gun, I would stay away unless you can find a Japanese model.
A good bird dog is always the right color

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:51 pm

The Mirokus, whether Dalys or of their own name, were fine guns and top value in a scattergun, if found today.