How to get barrel off of Old Ithaca Model 37 ?

sgc

How to get barrel off of Old Ithaca Model 37 ?

Post by sgc » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:16 pm

I have an old Ithaca model 37, serial number about 11900, which I believe was around 1949? I had a replacement barrel put on it this year because the old barrel had a bulge in the end. The gunsmith cut the end off of the old barrel & sent that back, too. The gunsmith told me that I could change the barrels myself any time I wanted, but I can't figure how to get the barrel off. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks,

gittrdonebritts

Re: How to get barrel off of Old Ithaca Model 37 ?

Post by gittrdonebritts » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:09 pm

did you google search for a owners manual ? thats were i would start.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:47 am

sgc wrote:I have an old Ithaca model 37, serial number about 11900, which I believe was around 1949? I had a replacement barrel put on it this year because the old barrel had a bulge in the end. The gunsmith cut the end off of the old barrel & sent that back, too. The gunsmith told me that I could change the barrels myself any time I wanted, but I can't figure how to get the barrel off. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks,
There's a Knurrled knob at the end of the sldie. Turn it clockwise to loosen turn and just open the slide. Now turn the barrel counter clockwise a bit and slide it out.

Mine is a 16ga without a serial number. Great gun!
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

sgc

Post by sgc » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Don, thanks. That sure is the opposite of an 870. So - do you tighten up the barrel for shooting by turning the knob, at the end of the slide, all the way counterclockwise, until it is tight, and do you use the bar that slides in & out of the knob as a lever to tighten it good? Also, how do you know when the barrel is on straight enough? I hand twisted the barrel back on clockwise, but I'm not sure it couldn't be twisted just a fraction more??? thanks,

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:18 pm

sgc wrote:Don, thanks. That sure is the opposite of an 870. So - do you tighten up the barrel for shooting by turning the knob, at the end of the slide, all the way counterclockwise, until it is tight, and do you use the bar that slides in & out of the knob as a lever to tighten it good? Also, how do you know when the barrel is on straight enough? I hand twisted the barrel back on clockwise, but I'm not sure it couldn't be twisted just a fraction more??? thanks,
I'm not sure what that little bar does. I just turn the nut counter clockwise till it's tight. That makes the barrel tight.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!