Shell of choice? Please read first before replying!

millerms06

Shell of choice? Please read first before replying!

Post by millerms06 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:38 pm

Now I know I am opening an enormous can of worms but I will try to narrow it down as much as possible. I recently purchased a Benelli M1 super 90 and was looking for shells to experiment with. I am a bit of an alchemist by nature, so I wanted to look around for something different than a Winchester or Federal load to use. I was just wondering what shell people use for their semi auto on grouse and pheasant? What are people's thoughts about Rio shells? I found some reviews about them that seemed promising but was curious to get more feedback.

My backup gun (aka game farm bird gun) is a discontinued Remington 870 LW Special Field 20 gauge and I use Kent 2 3/4" 1oz. shells with #5 shot.

I am expecting someone say, "Why go away from Kent shells for the 12 gauge?" From what I have experienced, Kent makes a great shell. However I know I am going to love the Benelli more than the Remington and I will probably need something a little less in price.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Shell of choice? Please read first before replying!

Post by BigShooter » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:45 am

Besides the shells you've mentioned, I really like the Fiocchi shells. However for less money I've have also used several cases of Estate Cartridge shells & they have worked well on pheasants and sharptailed grouse. The gun's action seems to get dirty more quickly with residue from the Estate shells but that's easily cleaned out.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

JKP

Post by JKP » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:15 pm

Can't help you, big shooter...I shoot 2 1/2" shells out of a S x S...always figured if you can't kill 'em with two shots, then the birds deserved to win :wink:

I like B and P shells....real quality shell....wait til they're on sale and they offer free shipping...they make 2 3/4" shells too for guys that need 3 shots :lol:

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:35 pm

Ruffed Grouse...1 1/8 of 7 1/2s Light Trap load(1145 fps)..I prefer the look of the green Remingtons.

Pheasant...depends...1 1/2 of 4s Kent or XX, 1 3/8-5s any make, 1 1/4-5s any make.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:37 pm

BigShooter wrote:Besides the shells you've mentioned, I really like the Fiocchi shells. However for less money I've have also used several cases of Estate Cartridge shells & they have worked well on pheasants and sharptailed grouse. The gun's action seems to get dirty more quickly with residue from the Estate shells but that's easily cleaned out.
JKP wrote:Can't help you, big shooter

*********** ?????? ************
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:53 pm

I shoot Federal ammo in all my shotguns. Fine quality ammo, many choices, and plus its made about 10 miles from me. I like keeping my money close if I can.

For 12 gauge pheasant I use the Pheasant Forever loads. http://www.federalpremium.com/products/ ... spx?id=408 early season 2 3/4" #5, later in the year 3" #4. I am curious to learn more about the new Prairie Storm line.

Using my 20 gauge for early season pheasant I will use the Pheasant Forever loads http://www.federalpremium.com/products/ ... spx?id=409 2 3/4" #6.

For shooting grouse and targets in my 20 gauge I will use the Top Gun http://www.federalpremium.com/products/shotshell.aspx in a #7.5

Doughboy

Post by Doughboy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:38 am

+1 on the Fiocchi for me, I have had good luck with the nickle plated golden pheasant 12 gauge, 2 3/4inch shells, #5 shot. They are a little spendy, but sure seem to knock the roosters down from the season opener to the last day of the season.

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:05 pm

The Federal Premium upland loads are really good stuff. Our local Wally world carries them. I use them in my 20 and they knock the crap out of wild phez. I also have used the Kent fast-lead's in my 20, prefer the Federal's. Late season roosters are a far tougher bird to drop than early season. Use the premium ammo late in the season, if not all year.

On sharptails, they aren't nearly as tough as pheasant. It isn't very critical.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:49 pm

Good posts but just to steer this a bit back on topic, the OP said:
millerms06 wrote:I am a bit of an alchemist by nature, so I wanted to look around for something different than a Winchester or Federal load to use. I was just wondering what shell people use for their semi auto on grouse and pheasant? What are people's thoughts about Rio shells?
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

JMc

Post by JMc » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:39 am

Fiocchi Golden Pheasants 6's and when I can find them Winchester AA SuperHandicap 7.5's. The AA's hit like a hammer and cost 1/2 as much. I realize you are looking for something different than Winchester but I figure a trap load is different.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:28 pm

Buy a used MEC 600 JR (or equivalent) and reload whatever you want for $4/box. OTOH, if you don't shoot enough to warrant buying a used reloader, it might not matter what kind of factory shells you shoot.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:37 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:Buy a used MEC 600 JR (or equivalent) and reload whatever you want for $4/box. OTOH, if you don't shoot enough to warrant buying a used reloader, it might not matter what kind of factory shells you shoot.
What's wrong with using a Ponsness Warren reloader? :mrgreen:
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:36 pm

I have found the Rio shotshells to be a little bit dirty in an autoloader.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:59 pm

Thanks for the comments fellas! The reason for the Benelli M1 was my brother in law wants me to visit him and the rest of the family in Stuttgart AR this coming January. We are hunting mallards in the timbers and geese hunting on some fields. My dad makes the trip every year and is pretty excited I am tagging along for a week long hunt. So if I guaranteed to come down, he would sell the gun, that was orignally my dad's, to me. I got an extremely smooth sought after inertia driven semi automatic in pristine condition for 475.00 so I am not complaining.

I shot it over the weekend and this morning with some Rio Heavy Game Load #5's. I checked the barrel after and it was clean as a whistle. Some more birds were added to the freezer collection as well. The most I ever shot at a bird has been two shells. I already have a pump and just wanted a step up in my "pup" collection.

Knowing how things have progressed, I might get a reloader down the road.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 am

BigShooter wrote:What's wrong with using a Ponsness Warren reloader? :mrgreen:
Oh, man. Nothing is wrong with them. They're awesome! Just as soon as I get the kids' college and the house paid for, I plan to trade in my 4 MEC 2000Gs on one. :lol:

scout_on_38s

Post by scout_on_38s » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 am

I've shot the estate shells with good results and also sellier and bellot shells (something not metioned yet) have been good also, they seem to be fairly "hot", louder and a little more kick than some other loads. By the way I shoot the same gun m1 with 28" barrel.
Murphy- RIP
Cali- 3yo Black/White Ticked Patched GSP.... http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1052
Daisy- 3mo Black/White Patched GSP