looking into a new shotgun

jimbo&rooster

looking into a new shotgun

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:43 pm

As a benefit of my part time job, i am in a unique position to be able to purchase one firearm a year apiece from Select companies for roughly half price. I am in the market for a new bird gun. I have not yet decided whether i am going to go with a 12ga or a 20ga. the gun in question will be used as a bird gun as I have a good waterfowl gun and a good back up waterfowl gun, I am interested in light and mobile. I have a few guns in mind and would like some in put on them, and would be interested in some sugestions in the $1000 and less range if you can think of somthing not on my list. my Choices are as follows in order of interest.

Browning Cynergy Featherlight, 12ga or 20ga, 26in bbls
CZ redhead delux, 20ga 26in bbls
Benelli M2 12ga or 20ga, 26in bbl
Benneli Montefeltro, 12ga or 20ga, 26in bbl
Winchester SX3 20ga 26in bbl
*** If I can lcate a decently priced Red Lable in 12 or 20ga, that would probly be at the top of my list

Most of my hunting will consist of wild quail/dove hunting and some game preserve birds, but once I get my pup going I would love to be able to travel and hit the prarie, as well as head up into the grouse woods. If any of you have any in put on the guns listed or some other recomendations that would be awsome, also I am torn between 20, and 12ga, but curently use a Baikal 20ga O/U and really like it so im leaning that way on all of the guns above, I have several 12ga guns so Its not like that will be a huge concern.
thanks
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: looking into a new shotgun

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:28 am

If it was me, I'd buy a super high-dollar shotgun and sell it for a profit.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:33 am

If you are considering a CZ you should look at the Yildiz guns. They are a fantastic value, just as good a fit and finish as the CZ but with better wood, and a better value at about $200 cheaper than the equivalent CZ, super light and a joy to shoot thanks to a nice recoil pad. Just a suggestion.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:05 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:If you are considering a CZ you should look at the Yildiz guns. They are a fantastic value, just as good a fit and finish as the CZ but with better wood, and a better value at about $200 cheaper than the equivalent CZ, super light and a joy to shoot thanks to a nice recoil pad. Just a suggestion.
yeah unfortunately the company that I work for doesnt deal with Yildiz, and has no availability for them.
as far as buying high end guns and selling them at a profit that really isnt the way i do things....... but I am interested in taking advantage of the deal now that I have a real job and am able to take advantage of the deals at my part time job..
JIm
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:43 pm

I'd suggest giving some serious thought to how light you want to go. I own a 20 ga Monte and it is a little feather. It can be a bit of a challenge for some guys to shoot that light of a gun. The Cynergy UL is going to be a little more muzzle-heavy with 28's and easier to shoot. If you can only get it with 26" barrels, I think I'd pass. O/U's are shorter than repeaters anyway and I really don't care for O/U's with 26" barrels. You see quite a few of them used in good condition at the gun store because most guys just don't shoot short O/U's well.

Of your choices, I'd lean toward a 28" Cynergy 20 ga (probably not the UL), then the M2 and Monte 20ga (with 26's) in that order. I'm sure the SX3 is a good gun but I don't care for gas guns in the uplands. No real need for recoil reduction and they tend to be clunky feeling compared to the Benelli's. You can take a Benelli out in windy, dusty conditions and neglect it and it will still work fine.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:52 pm

My personal preference on the choices you stated above would be 20ga Benelli M2 and Benelli 20ga Montefeltro. They're both excellent guns IMO.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:16 pm

I would also go with the Benelli, I love my M1 super 90. Have had it for years and never had a problem, shoots great.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:16 pm

At the price point the Red Label in an O/U or the Benelli Monte should do you well. I was surprised on your comment on the Red Label because lightly used RL's are plentiful and they depreciate way more than a Browning or Beretta. Should be easy to get a nearly new one. The used gun market is very soft now.

Southwind

Post by Southwind » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:40 pm

If you have the opportunity, check out the Franchi Veloce 20 ga. 26". I have owned/currently own a silver pigeon, 391 Urika, and two citori's all 4 of which have been 20 ga., and none of them are as comfortable to shoot/carry as my Veloce. These, as well as the ones you have listed are all great guns, but I don't think the Franchi gets much consideration. Good luck

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Buddy of mine has a super nice Franchi O/U for sale, 20/28 ga barrel sets ....its the nicer model above a field grade....think he's asking 1800. I would have to call him to get the exact model name.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:39 pm

I own and "shoot" both 12 and 20 gauge Browning Superposed Lightning Field Grades, a 28 gauge Caesar Guerini Magnus Light, and a 12 gauge Remington 1100.

I go hunting with a 20 gauge Benelli Montefeltro 26 in.