Stoeger Coach 20 gauge????

inthebox30lbs

Stoeger Coach 20 gauge????

Post by inthebox30lbs » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:37 pm

Anybody ever use one for upland hunting? Im thinking of getting a 20 gauge with fixed IC and Mod. chokes. ITs got the standard 20" barrels, just looking to get a 20 bore to hunt close quarter quail. Thanks
scott

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Re: Stoeger Coach 20 gauge????

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:48 pm

Should be good for up close shots. I saw a Browning A5 at one of our pawn shops here a while back that someone had cut the barrel down to 24" to make a quail gun out of. Bet it puts out a heck of a loose pattern with short barrels but for quail hunting bobs you probably don't have to shoot over 25 yards anyway. I hunt blues here and some of the shots are a bit longer and the birds are screaming off the ground so I like my 28" barreled O/U with the IC and Mod chokes and occasionally early in the season I will use Skeet and IC chokes. Good luck sounds like it should work.

I just got to thinking though, that the reason I bought my O/U's with 28" barrels rather than the 26" barrels I usually get on a pump or autoloader is because of the sight plain down the gun. I have a little Baikal SxS that has 26" barrels on it and I am dead on accurate with it but I feel funny shooting it because of the way I feel like I am hunched over the gun when shooting it. You would probably want to go and at least mount the gun to yourself before buying it and you may have to do some modifications to improve your sight plain depending on how tall you are and what your measurements are I would think anyway. I am 6'3" almost 6'4" and have problems with guns with shorter barrels and even have problems sometimes with scopes that are mounted with low rings.