Prairie Storm

cerfur

Prairie Storm

Post by cerfur » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:56 am

Prairie Storm is the new fedral premium supposed to be just like black cloud for ducks only lead and 1500fps I guess it came out this month anyone try it yet????? I am huge fan of black cloud and I dont hunt enough duck to make it to much money. I shoot about 10 - 12 pheasent a year and maybe go through a box of shells so again price is not a big deal. (Edit: my mistake they come out this summer I am still super excited)

Chaingang

Re: Prairie Storm

Post by Chaingang » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:17 am

It might be nice to have a box of these things when the wind is howling late in the season and the birds are jumping out at distance. The theory sounds nice, but If they can't keep the price down, I think most shooters will stick to the stuff already out there and albeit cheaper for Pheasants.

Here is a promo vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFd8O6Zv ... r_embedded#

Pheasant Fest with a Federal Rep.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajX4_ZLI ... re=channel

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:19 pm

cerfur wrote:Prairie Storm is the new fedral premium supposed to be just like black cloud for ducks only lead and 1500fps I guess it came out this month anyone try it yet????? I am huge fan of black cloud and I dont hunt enough duck to make it to much money. I shoot about 10 - 12 pheasent a year and maybe go through a box of shells so again price is not a big deal. (Edit: my mistake they come out this summer I am still super excited)
cerfur i just bought 2 boxes one in 20 and one in 12 I'm looking forward to trying it out i used black cloud in both my 20 for ducks and 12 for geese and was very pleased with it, hope prairie storm is just as good I'll let you know how it works for me

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:27 am

Tried it out on Pen raised Pheasants and Chukar it works great I wasn't even leading them like i should lol it hits hard and has some stopping power in the 12 i used 6 shot and the 20 5 shot hope others give it a try and I'm excited to try it on wild birds !

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:26 pm

Prairie Storms:
Too fast...too much recoil...too expensive.
Considering all that, they should sell like hotcakes to folks who think they need that edge.

1 1/4-5s or 1 3/8-5s or 1 1/2-4s...all standard velocity 12s...all you need is to match to the field conditions.
Actually, in the right situation there are not many loads that won't kill a pheasant with a good shot.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:04 am

Mountaineer wrote:Prairie Storms:
Too fast...too much recoil...too expensive.
Considering all that, they should sell like hotcakes to folks who think they need that edge.

1 1/4-5s or 1 3/8-5s or 1 1/2-4s...all standard velocity 12s...all you need is to match to the field conditions.
Actually, in the right situation there are not many loads that won't kill a pheasant with a good shot.
True it might be a little overkill for some situations, but you can always open up your choke as this stuff will perform like you are tightening up your choke. e.g (If using a Mod go down to IC etc..). Recoil shouldn't be too bad if you use an autoloader. If I try this stuff It will most likely be my late season load when birds are skittish and jumping out at distance.

Second..... remember for every box you purchase you are donating a portion of the price to Pheasants Forever for habitat aquisitions. All in all I think it's worth a few extra bucks for a good cause. Heck even the standard lead hunting loads are running $15/box plus now a days.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:53 am

I think the name is kinda cool, the donations to pheasants forever is always cool. But ballistically the difference between 1200fps and 1500fps is fairly pretty small once you start to get out to the 40yd line and past. And its dang expensive.

Jester

Post by Jester » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:30 pm

any more feed back on this. trying to decide what i want to shot this year Ks opener is in a few weeks and theses are not much more a box then the Remingtons i have been shooting for years. less the $2 a box more for singles haven't look ed case price yet.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:41 pm

There was a little bit of chatter over here about Prairie Storm: http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/ ... php?t=5159

From the few who have used it there seems to be some mixed reviews. Some say they are "over kill' and destroying a lot of meat from birds directly hit. I personally have not shot them.... Yet. As with any new load though, some experimentation at the patterning board might be time well spent to find out what choke setup may work best.

To be honest though, I have really become fond of the Kent Ultimate Fast Lead shotshells: http://www.kentgamebore.com/ultimate_fast_lead.asp.

They are a few bucks cheaper and use very hard lead shot (Diamond shot as they call it). They pattern beautifully out of my gun and aren't too hard to find. I know Cabela's has them and i think Gander Mountain as well.

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:09 pm

What did those poor pheasants ever do to us to deserve this?

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:39 pm

tdhusker wrote:What did those poor pheasants ever do to us to deserve this?
Because of all the ones that laugh at us as we miss and they fly away unscathed. Haven't you heard? that cackling a rooster makes is actually him laughing out loud..... :mrgreen:

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:43 am

Chaingang wrote:
tdhusker wrote:What did those poor pheasants ever do to us to deserve this?
Because of all the ones that laugh at us as we miss and they fly away unscathed. Haven't you heard? that cackling a rooster makes is actually him laughing out loud..... :mrgreen:
A miss with the 12 guage Prairie Storm rays of death will kill just as many birds as a miss with a little girl's .410 Stevens single shot.

Actually, something that hammers 'em late in the season when they are wearing their winter coats is not a bad idea. Not sure you need specially designed pellets with razors on them but if that does the trick, fine. You need to be careful about pulverizing birds at close range though.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:40 pm

tdhusker wrote:
tdhusker wrote: A miss with the 12 guage Prairie Storm rays of death will kill just as many birds as a miss with a little girl's .410 Stevens single shot.
Yeah, but it's when we do connect with the Prairie storm, more times than not they are going down and aren't going anywhere. With the little girls Steven's .410, I don't think you can always count on that...
Not sure you need specially designed pellets with razors on them but if that does the trick, fine. You need to be careful about pulverizing birds at close range though.
Regardless of Prairie storm or your run of the mill field load, you pop one at point blank range, you are going to destroy meat period. One must study the art of "self control" and let the bird gain some distance before "nuking" it.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:49 pm

tdhusker wrote:Regardless of Prairie storm or your run of the mill field load, you pop one at point blank range, you are going to destroy meat period. One must study the art of "self control" and let the bird gain some distance before "nuking" it.
Also most bird hunters need to learn how to lead properly 98% of my kills are head shots Not trying to brag but i do practice and make an efforrt to shoot all my birds in the head quick kill and no chance or ruining the meat. a lot of hunters put there gun away after the season and never pick it up again until the next one and expect to shoot good or even better, yeah there are some freaks out there my dad included that can do that but most of us can't, so don't blame a shell for destroying the bird, when the shell isn't the one aiming.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:50 pm

I buy whatever is on sale or shoot reloads, i've had no problems killing birds, with standard loads from 1 1/4 up to 1 1/2.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:15 am

gittrdonebritts wrote:
Also most bird hunters need to learn how to lead properly 98% of my kills are head shots Not trying to brag but i do practice and make an efforrt to shoot all my birds in the head quick kill and no chance or ruining the meat. a lot of hunters put there gun away after the season and never pick it up again until the next one and expect to shoot good or even better, yeah there are some freaks out there my dad included that can do that but most of us can't, so don't blame a shell for destroying the bird, when the shell isn't the one aiming.
I agree wholeheartedly about practicing before the season starts and shooting birds in the head when possible. But what about the dead going away bird? How do you head shoot those? :mrgreen:
Last edited by Chaingang on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:04 am

I used to do the same but i like buying federal cause every box you buy they give money to conservation.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:00 am

gittrdonebritts wrote:I used to do the same but i like buying federal cause every box you buy they give money to conservation.
Come on now gittrdone, your avoiding my previous question. :x

I want to know how you shoot dead going away birds in the head?

just kiddin ya. :mrgreen:

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:09 pm

what do you mean by dead going away bird ? do you mean all he is showing me is his tail feathers ? if that's the case i let him go for another day. give him and the dogs another chance to play around together i really try to avoid wounding a bird even if it means going home empty handed.
sorry wasn't trying to avoid your question i only saw coopers post at first lol :D

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:18 pm

I just came back from a weekend of pheasant hunting in SoDak.

Hunting partner and I both used Prairie Storm for the first time. His load, 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz #4 12 gauge at 1500 fps. I was using a 3" 1 1/4oz #5 20 gauge at 1300 fps. The results were nothing but extraordinary. We were both shooting O/U choked IC/M and were dropping birds at 40+ yards that just hit and were dead, no chasing cripples all over the place and these birds weren't shot up anymore than would occur using a "normal" pheasant load.

Maybe it was a pricing error, but we found these at $16.49 for 12 gauge and $17.99 for 20 gauge. Pretty good deal as at Cabelas and Gander Mountain stores around here they go for about $24 per box.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:10 pm

congrats ! i think with results like that a lot more people are going to try it. I haven't had any opportunity's to shoot any wild birds with it yet our season just opened and its still too warm to pin them down good was almost 70 today i had to run one dog at an hour each to keep them cool enough.