Kent shot-shells any good?

labman21

Kent shot-shells any good?

Post by labman21 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:00 pm

I recently bought some Kent steel loads ( 3inch #2's) for late season waterfowl. I have only shot one shell so far and I liked the sound of it.

Anybody have any good or bad experiences with Kent loads?
A dog is only as good as his trainer.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Kent shot-shells any good?

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:17 pm

They are good shells.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:19 pm

I used them for pheasant in South Dakota last year. They did a good job. Pretty dirty, though - my gun needed a good cleaning after shooting those shells for a few days. Not a huge concern to me, and I'd buy them again.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

jbogacki76

Post by jbogacki76 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:36 pm

I use the High Brass #6 for pheasant. They work well for me and pattern well on my silver mallard. Plus, the price is right too.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:48 pm

I bought a case of 3-1/2" 12 ga BBB shot for geese, it's half the price of other brands and patterns just as well - at least for me. Kills 'em too.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:58 am

I can't speak to the steel loads but I did shoot the Kent Fast Lead in 6's for a couple years. I liked them. They patterned well for me. I just wish I could find them in 7 1/2s. They were dirtier but I think that was directly related to they had a bit more powder in them than other shells.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:28 am

Kents are very good shell, that is what we sell at the preseve I work for . The kent #4 2/34 ,1 1/4 gram are "Rhino Rollers" they are awesome for chickens.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

marshboy

Post by marshboy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:46 pm

All I've used for years for all my duck and pheasant hunting are Kent Fasteel 3 inch, 1 1/4 ounces of #4s, at 1425 fps. Great load, great shells. I've been through many cases of them.
Inexpensive, too, compared to other non-toxic loads.
marshboy

jimmyp

Post by jimmyp » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:38 pm

guess ill be the odd man out. I have patterned the Kent faststeel in 3.5 #2s and BBs out of my SX3 and out of my nova with pattern masters and factory improved cylinders in both, and havn't been able to get consistent patterns out of either. seems to me like the kent stuff is very gun sensitive.
jim

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:38 am

Steel isn't going to be great out of anything... Really high velocity, which you have to have with steel, isn't known for good patterns either.

marshboy

Post by marshboy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:14 pm

I don't understand that last comment...I've got great patterns with four different 12 ga's with the Kent Fasteel loads.
For $120 or so a case, I'll keep buying and effectively using them.
marshboy

jimmyp

Post by jimmyp » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:31 pm

marshboy wrote:I don't understand that last comment...I've got great patterns with four different 12 ga's with the Kent Fasteel loads.
For $120 or so a case, I'll keep buying and effectively using them.
marshboy
not to start anything , but of about 8 of us that hunt together only one of us has a gun that will pattern the kent stuff well enough to get consistent kills with it (spent about 2 weeks this summer at the patterning board). as I am sure every one knows no two guns even if they came off the line back to back will pattern the same. fortunately there are enough options out there to keep us all happy.
jim

marshboy

Post by marshboy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:59 am

Jim,
That's truly too bad they don't pattern well for you. I am very happy with the pattern through several different guns, especially with the IC choke.
You have a good point, though, that the original poster of this topic should consider...these shells could pattern beautifully through his gun, or they might not. Borrow a few shells from a friend, try them out on the patterning board, and go from there.
What I like most, since I use these shells exclusively for both duck and pheasant hunting, is I know my leads with any shot...I'm not switching back and forth between two different shell types.
marshboy

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:57 am

Been using Kent 3" for dux and 3 1/2" for geese for about 10 yrs-- at price you can't beat them- i shoot a fair amount(hit some times also) and have never thought they didn't do the job.