Ideal 3" 20 g. Steel load?

mandrakeduck

Ideal 3" 20 g. Steel load?

Post by mandrakeduck » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:14 am

In certain areas I am required to use non-toxic.

When using steel in my 20 g., what 3" load do you feel is ideal for pheasant. I'm currently using 3" #4 Kent Fast Steel with a modified choke. I'm considering bumping up to #2 because I hit a few birds (could see the impact and feathers fly) and did not bring them down this season.

Will

Re: Ideal 3" 20 g. Steel load?

Post by Will » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:03 am

My son used the same load you're using with good luck. Wouldn't hurt to try #2's but you're really starting to limit the amount of shot you're putting out there. Please let us know what you liked best.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:23 am

Try Federal Black Cloud if you insist on steel.

If there weren't that many places that require it, I'd just bite the bullet and get Hevi Shot or similar.

mandrakeduck

Post by mandrakeduck » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:39 pm

My son used the same load you're using with good luck. Wouldn't hurt to try #2's but you're really starting to limit the amount of shot you're putting out there. Please let us know what you liked best.
One day last Dec. I used the #2 to jump shooting Ducks and quickly brought down a Mallard Drake and a crested duck. Both were passing shots.

We are going out in a couple weeks for four days of wild pheasant and ducks. I'll shoot lead on the pheasants and #2 on the ducks. I'll let you all know how the #2 performed on the Ducks (assuming I get any shots).

Will

Post by Will » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:01 am

Oh I thought you needed to use steel on pheasants. My mistake. I use 2's on ducks (what little I have gone) with good luck. I'm sure it would be perfectly fine for pheasants also if you can make the shot....and if you can make the shot on passing ducks...well I'd say no problems then!!
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie