Browning Maxus

Pryor Creek Okie

Browning Maxus

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:04 pm

Anyone handled one of these? I looked at one over the weekend and I really liked the feel of it. I'm asking Santa for a new shotgun and this might be the one.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Browning Maxus

Post by mcbosco » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:49 am

Yes I have at the club, it feels very nice and watched a guy shoot it and he did really well with it. Has a quality feel to it like all Brownings. It seemed to cycle well and appeared to be a very soft shooter.

Kyle Wintersteen

Post by Kyle Wintersteen » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:38 pm

Great shotgun. No other 3 1/2-inch gun is rated for 1-ounce target loads and it's light enough for upland hunting. Here are a few of my thoughts on it if you're interested: http://www.americanhunter.org/ArticlePa ... 2026&cid=0

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:52 pm

It will be compared to the Vinci for sure, be interesting to see what people think of the two guns back-to-back. I haven't seen any comparison tests.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:59 pm

My first question is what do you do with a 3 1/2 shell? I can't think of a single application I would need or want one for. Sounds like a case of over kill.

JMO

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:07 pm

I think the Benelli Vinci is more in tune with the market, it takes 2 3/4 - 3 inch shells.

The 3 1/2 inch shell seems to be a way to keep NJ duck hunters happy, :roll:

Kyle Wintersteen

Post by Kyle Wintersteen » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:27 pm

Ezzy: A valid point. Especially now that steel shotshells have improved as much as they have, you simply don't need 3 1/2" shells to kill decoying ducks or even geese. I think it's more important to choose an appropriate shot size and find a load that patterns well out of your gun. 3" and 2 3/4" shells are also easier on the bank account, not to mention your shoulder. However, the market dictates what manufacturers produce and it's clear a lot of people want 3 1/2" guns.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:35 pm

I am asking a guy here that we call "quack"......says he uses 3 1/2 shells when its windy...Jersey Shore duck hunter

windswept

Post by windswept » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:23 am

Interesting topic as I just bought one about 3 weeks ago.
I read about it, held it in the stores, talked to sales people etc and finally bought one. After putting about three boxes of shells through it I finally came to the decision that I really liked my old Benelli M1 better. Can't really put it into words but the Maxus just didn't feel as good for me as my Benelli. I even contemplated taking a beating and trading it in on a new M2. When I went back to the retailer and asked how much he would offer me if I was willing to trade the gun in he offered a complete full value trade toward the M2. Wow! I was impressed and so I did it.
I know I am not adding much to the conversation here as I can't really tell you exactly what it was about the Maxus that I didn't like. I guess different strokes for different folks.
I will say that the "turn key" plug system is VERY slick and the entire time I owned the gun it never jammed and cycled very well. Just not my cup of tea.
Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:25 pm

Well, I went ahead and bought one. I'll be shooting some clay pigeons and hopefully some ducks this weekend and then I'll post a review.

Stilly Bay

Post by Stilly Bay » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:49 pm

I love this gun! got mine 3 weeks ago and it spits those cheap nasty RIO shot shells like they were premiums. the shim system that comes with the maxus has made this gun fit better than any other I have shot.
plus if you take the plug out load it up and pull the trigger as fast as you can it sounds like you only shot 3 rounds when you shot 5.

only down side is that on mine the choke tubes work loose after several shots.