Benelli Super Nova

Pavel

Benelli Super Nova

Post by Pavel » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:28 pm

Looking to get my first shotgun, that I will be using for many different applications. Any positive and negatives with a choice such as the Benelli Supernova? Also, I am 6'6" and am curious in regards to the length of pull on various shotguns. Is this one of the bigger things that I should be looking at?

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Re: Benelli Super Nova

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:17 pm

I am 6'3' close to 6'4" and can tell you that I sometimes have a problem with this and have found that with getting a gun with 28"rather than 26" barrels as well as adding a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad over top of the existing pad helps. The longer barrel changes the sight plain and the slip on recoil pad helps to extend length of pull as well as soak up any recoil. Trust me you will notice the difference and also notice that you are shooting better.

Tom

Vizsla Vince

Post by Vizsla Vince » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:42 pm

I can't speak to your height issues (I'm 5'9''), but I will speak to the Supernova. I own one, & it will probably be the last shotgun I buy for quite a while. I love it! I've taken it out for 150 + rounds @ the sporting clays course & been able to walk away with very little discomfort to show for it. Very fast & smooth action. Besides, it just looks cool! C'mon, now. Who here grew up on Star Wars & DOESN'T want to carry a stormtrooper rifle into the field?

gspkimber

Post by gspkimber » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:01 pm

I have a 12 gauge and like it a lot. I took my first turkey with it in October. It is easy to clean and maintain. I am very pleased with the shotgun. You will not go wrong for the price!

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:44 pm

i'm 6'4" and have a 28" supernova... i love it almost as much as i love my SBE 2..... my wife who is 5'6" shoots it as well and she doesn't have a problem with it... honestly in my opinion for the price you can't beat the supernova

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:07 am

I remember looking at one last year not having any idea what it cost and thinking it was expensive for a pump. Then the guy said it was $450 in black....yikes.

And people wonder why some American industries are overwhelmed.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:24 pm

if you look hard i think you can one around 350-400 in camo, i love mine the most reliable shot gun i have does not freeze up in the cold temps vary durable

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:02 pm

Wow MC must be one of those east coast things cause you can find them out here all day for around $350 and will catch them on sale for around $300. $450 sounds overpriced to me.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:34 pm

I have seen the black ones under 300 at shows as for recoil benelli makes a tube that goes in the stock an is suppose to dampen alot of the recoil i here they work well

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:06 am

You can also purchase those tubes aftermarket from Brownells or Midway or you can make your own from a bolt cut to the right length with a bunch of flat washers and a nut on the end to keep the flat washers in place. It just adds weight in a lot of cases.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:08 am

I wasn't shopping for one but since I haven't seen one for less than $450 around here. The Nova is about $100 less.

Its a different process buying a gun in certain states on the east coast, you walk in darkness like a vampire or worse a leper, prices are generally higher and handling guns at stores is a time-consuming pain usually.

Soccer moms frown at you with an evil-eye and huddle their children in tight formation at "bleep" when you have ammo in your hands at the check-out.

My point was that even at $450 you get a certain sense of value and exclusivity, I suppose because its so cool looking and the company maintains quality even at the low-end.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:26 am

Try going to a gunshow good deals on new an used. I would not hesitate to buy a used one if its not the model you want,buy the choke tubes you need for the kind huntin you do. Mine was the water fowl model, i also hunt turkey so i had to buy a turkey tube(jellyhead) now its one of the best pattern guns i`ve have ever pattern for turkey

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:01 pm

I've shot a Super Nova. Mechanically, it was great, but it rattled in my hands and pointed like a fence post. From a point-ability standpoint, nothing, *NOTHING* comes close to a Winchester Model 12. I have a WS-1 that is the best pointing shotgun I've ever had in my hands...and I've shot a LOT.

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:57 pm

From a point-ability standpoint, nothing, *NOTHING* comes close to a Winchester Model 12.
My old man couldn't agree with you more. He has a decent collection of them, maybe 10 or so. He thinks the Model 12 is nearly as close to perfection man has ever come (almost as close as 90 ft between bases).

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:24 pm

I purchased one of the 3 1/2" Novas a few years back for duck hinting. I used it one time and traded it at the first opportunity. I wasn't crazy about the way it pointed but the main reason for getting rid of it
was recoil. I was just not macho enough to handle the recoil with the 3 1/2" loads. My first shot with the gun crippled a big greenhead. By the time I got my glasses pushed back on my nose he was out of range for a follow up shot.

The gun would be fine for regular field loads and manageable with 3" magnums but those 3 1/2" magnums are wicked from a light pup gun.