Non-toxic shot

Nebraska

Non-toxic shot

Post by Nebraska » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:47 pm

I'm planning on hunting some public areas for pheasants and they pretty much all require non-toxic shot. I'll be hunting with my GSP and will only be taking shots at pointed birds. I normally use #7 1/2 or #6 shot and use a O/U with IC and Mod chokes.

What recommendations do you have for a good quality non-toxic shot?

Also, what shot size(s) and chokes would you recommend??

Chaingang

Re: Non-toxic shot

Post by Chaingang » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:46 am

The least expensive option is steel shot which will work quite well for Phez. You should be able to find a good variety of brands. With steel I always abide by the 2 shot sizes larger rule of thumb when comparing to lead shot. If you normally would be using #6 lead go to steel #4 , #5 lead then try #3 steel etc... A load size of 1- 1/8 oz or 1- 1/4 oz should work well. IC choke will work great or you could go modified if longer shots are needed.

7.5 lead shot is pretty light for wild phez, a crippler in my mind. IMO only really useful for very close shooting and we all know that is not always possible with wild phez.

Other than steel there are some alternative options that use Tungsten and Bismuth. One such brand is Hevi-shot. These loads offer greater performance than steel, but for closer shooting not really necessary. They also come at a much higher cost, often at $1.75 to $2 a round. I may use these at times if I find a clearance sale somewhere, otherwise I have never had issues with using steel.

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:40 pm

Thanks Chaingang.

I have some #4 steel shot buried in the basement somewhere so I'll start there.

Maybe I'll pick up a box of Heavy-shot to use for follow-up/doubles as well. Using #4 steel w/ the IC for my 1st shot and #6 Heavy-shot w/ the Mod for a follow-up or on a double might just be a good combo and sounds a lot cheaper too!!

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:21 pm

pattern what you figure to use- don't just asume it will kill cleanly at the range you intend to shoot-

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:27 pm

Hevi-Shot is a stone cold killer. It'll stone birds like no other shot I've tried, but it's lethal on the wallet too at $2.00 a shot. It is the most cost effective shot out there... as long as you don't miss :lol: .

I picked some up on clearance a couple years ago and use it when I go to the in-laws in NW North Dakota.

thunderhead

Post by thunderhead » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:51 pm

I know it is more expensive to shoot, but I would highly recommend using the heavy shot type loads that are available. I like Kent Tungsten Matrix. Any of the higher density loads are going to be more effective than steel. I am sure that there will be plenty of folks who are satisfied shooting steel at pheasants, but you will also find many people who have shot more effective loads and have expierienced the results.
Take the field by storm. http://www.thunderheadgsps.com

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:48 pm

Last weekend I picked up some Federal "Black Cloud" FS Steel in a 2 3/4" 1oz #3's. ($16.99/box of 25). These are supposed to be the real deal on ducks, so we'll see how they do on late season Phez.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:31 pm

I hate steel shot , have to shoot geese 2-3 times to kill them. That heavy shot is a little different as mention stone dead killer

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:34 am

Nebraska wrote:Thanks Chaingang.

I have some #4 steel shot buried in the basement somewhere so I'll start there.

Maybe I'll pick up a box of Heavy-shot to use for follow-up/doubles as well. Using #4 steel w/ the IC for my 1st shot and #6 Heavy-shot w/ the Mod for a follow-up or on a double might just be a good combo and sounds a lot cheaper too!!

This is a good plan. It'll make that heavy shot last longer. You'll find that the steel shot does work well on pheasant at reasonable ranges but it's nice to have that hammer for the second shot.

DrahthaaRunner

Post by DrahthaaRunner » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:12 pm

If you know someone that loads their own you can have them make you some special shot... Put a straw down the middle of your shell fill the middle with lead and just use steel on the out side. That way if you get checked you will pass the maginet test and still have awesome knock down power. Lead is hands down the best shot for all bird types and the most cost effective.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:51 am

DrahthaaRunner wrote:If you know someone that loads their own you can have them make you some special shot... Put a straw down the middle of your shell fill the middle with lead and just use steel on the out side. That way if you get checked you will pass the maginet test and still have awesome knock down power. Lead is hands down the best shot for all bird types and the most cost effective.
you're joking right

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:26 am

DrahthaaRunner wrote:If you know someone that loads their own you can have them make you some special shot... Put a straw down the middle of your shell fill the middle with lead and just use steel on the out side. That way if you get checked you will pass the maginet test and still have awesome knock down power. Lead is hands down the best shot for all bird types and the most cost effective.
I certainly hope you aren't serious. I think the lead shot is restricted in an effort to improve our hunting by letting more birds live to hunt. If it isn't needed then make an effort to change the law instead of figuring a way to break it without getting caught. There is a reason they call us "sportsmen" and we need to live up to it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:51 pm

This has to be the #1 bonehead post of the year for at least 5 boards I frequent.For starters if you knew anything about reloading and ballistics/patterning or for that matter the amount of lead shot that would fit in a straw.You'd know that the outcome of all that screwing around would not be the least bit different than pulling the trigger on a factory loaded non tox shell.All your going to get with the scenario you've described is a stringing shot pattern because of the differences in the weight and density in the shot.The other thing is that to screw around and try to load shells the way you describe you'd pay twice as much as a box of hevi shot for the persons time.I load my own rice blanks for dog training with my homers on a non tox area.It take 4 times as long to load them than if I was chinking them out of the progressive with shot.My advice is learn to shoot, not cheat.