20 ga poppers

k2k

20 ga poppers

Post by k2k » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:44 pm

My dad and I were talking dogs the other day, and he mentioned he was loading up some 16 ga poppers for a guy. He was using less powder, of course, and white rice.

I've got a 20 ga. Anyone know if poppers are made for that gauge (my dad didn't know of anyone) and where to get them?

Alternately, anyone got a recipe for them or know where I could find one? I'm sure I can find someone to load them up for me (dad's too far away).

Thanks!

Karen

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: 20 ga poppers

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:53 pm

What do you do with them?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

k2k

Post by k2k » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:23 pm

They're just a less-noisy, less kick shell as opposed to a regular 20 ga shell.

I was thinking it might be a little better to use when gun-breaking the pup.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:41 pm

k2k wrote:They're just a less-noisy, less kick shell as opposed to a regular 20 ga shell.

Pups are not hard to breakto gunfire. Just let them get a little distance away no matter what you use and have them chasing or at least interested in something. I don't see how it would be worth the effort.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

k2k

Post by k2k » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:31 am

To each their own, I guess.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:48 am

I make them myself,the reason being is that the area I train in is a steel shot only area and,I only use live ammo when killing birds,for my homers I use the popper shells.I shoot alot of skeet and just use the recipe for my skeet loads with the rice charge.It makes a hair less noise as you suggest because of the weight of the payload in the wad and the pressure created.Find a 20 load in the charts and fiddle around with the powder charge,start middle of the road and go either down or up to MIN/MAX to find the noise level you want,obviously if the wad doesn't clear the barrell you'll want to pump it up some.

My load is Mec loader ......#22 bushing for the powder,powder is International clays,a claybuster wad and minute rice/birdseed/rye seed/winter wheat.I've used all of it for the shot filler.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:04 am

Ezzy

I've got one that's being really tough on the gunfire breaking,Won't chase wingclips,just takes 2 jumps then points the area they've landed in,Even with teasing him with the bird before it's thrown.I got him all stirred up,I got bit when he snapped at it,I let the bird go,he took 2-3 jumps after it,stopped and pointed the landing spot 20 feet away,My assistant fired just a primer from approximatley 20 yards away with the muzzle in the opposite direction of the dog and there was a slightly visible negative reaction.He's 6 months old,I've been at the loud noise thing since I got him,Hand clapping and such when he was younger.He'd much rather point than chase.It's going to be a great advantage when it comes time to break him out after overcoming the noise sensitivity issue thats presently showing.Or maybe he'll never overcome it.I'm about ready to get some banty chickens for him to run around the yard to get his "Drive" in the go mode.

I've broke or been involved with breaking about 100 or so dogs(20 of my own) to the gun and agree that it's fairly easy to do,however I've seen 3 now that are like the pup I've described above.So it's not always easy.

ezzy333 wrote:
k2k wrote:They're just a less-noisy, less kick shell as opposed to a regular 20 ga shell.

Pups are not hard to breakto gunfire. Just let them get a little distance away no matter what you use and have them chasing or at least interested in something. I don't see how it would be worth the effort.

Ezzy

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:17 am

My advice is to stop the gun training and get the pup out in the field and let him run and explore with little or no voice commands from you. The pup has to discover the fun of finding and chasing a bird or he will end up walking with you instead of hunting. 6 months is very young yet in a dogs life so don't get impatient. The pup just needs exposure I would guess. The pup is not too young for gun training but it sounds like it just isn't ready yet and needs a whole lot more exploring time without thinking about anything else.

The other thing is when I am breaking to gunfire I do not take and release birds. It is done when we are out exploring so the pups mind is not on me or listening for me but rather is completely wrapped up in whatever it is finding. I don't think loud noises has much to do with gunfire though I used to think so. But I have discovered that getting use to loud noices teaches it to accept loud noises but the way to get use to gunfire is to fire a gun. Dogs know the difference.

Ezzy

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:46 pm

The other thing is when I am breaking to gunfire I do not take and release birds. It is done when we are out exploring so the pups mind is not on me or listening for me but rather is completely wrapped up in whatever it is finding.
Sorry for the highjack...but EZZy are you saying you shoot with the pup just out wandering and NOT around birds?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:45 pm

postoakshorthairs wrote:
The other thing is when I am breaking to gunfire I do not take and release birds. It is done when we are out exploring so the pups mind is not on me or listening for me but rather is completely wrapped up in whatever it is finding.
Sorry for the highjack...but EZZy are you saying you shoot with the pup just out wandering and NOT around birds?
Yes I do but not just wandering. I would rather do it without birds so if it bothers in anyway the pup can not associate with a bird. Once it is established there is no real problem then I will introduce birds to the equation and start getting closer till I can shoot when a bird flushes and be able to knock it down for the pup(hopefully).

Chasing song sparrows , butterflies, or field mice all work well.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:51 pm

we live behind some county land that is leased usually for sweet corn and the farmer uses a propane cannon to keep deer away...my dog heard that noise 20 or 30 times a day for weeks and never flinched the first time a shot gun went off...

lucky me