What type of shotgun are you using for your bird hunts?

jkoehler

Re: What type of shotgun are you using for your bird hunts?

Post by jkoehler » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:17 pm

Berreta Pintail 12 gauge auto. bought it used about 6 years ago and probably the deal of a lifetime. I also carry a 12 o/u charles daily that my 7 year old daughter won at a pheasant forever banquet, just a nice simple spare cheap gun just in case. My daughter wasn't too thrilled I was using it, but I told her it needed breaking in. Only use it unless I have too though, last year walked into a slough of phesants shot twice with no bird down, reloaded as they kept coming out and didn't get another shot off and of course the birds that were close to me got up after I shot about a 40-50 yds birds....

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:53 pm

I've been using a AH Fox 16 ga SxS, it weighs in at about 5-1/2 pounds so it's a great carry gun. The other is a Browning Citori 525 Field 16 ga o/u. For training and nasty weather I've been using a Spartan 20 ga o/u sporting model, although it's a mite heavy at 7-1/4 lbs. I use a Mossy 835 12 ga for ducks and geese.

I can miss equally well with all of them.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:13 am

I stick with grandpa's model 12, 16g

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:43 pm

I have two SKB 200E's in 20 gauge for quail. Both have 25" bbls, one is choked CYL and SK1, the other is choked IC and modified. I use a Benelli Ultralite 12 gauge for pheasant hunts once or twice each year. For shooting preserve quail I enjoy using my SKB 600 410 bore skeet gun. It only has 2 1/2" chambers and shoots 1/2 oz loads. It's also an ideal gun for starting young dogs because of it's very low noise level.

Beecher

Post by Beecher » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:43 pm

Savage 440 O/U in 12 gauge, circa 1968, found this past summer in local gun shop for $325. love it.

fase3

Post by fase3 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:14 pm

Beretta SP II in 28ga for upland (quail&woodcock) and a Benelli SS for Dove. As far as ducks are concerned here in south La. I burned out on them about 15 yrs ago.

GWPHUNTER

Post by GWPHUNTER » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:06 pm

For years i've used my great grandfathers model 11 remington 12 gauge but after missing too many birds the first couple of weeks of pheasant, i decided it had to be the gun making me miss and had nothing to do with my shooting skills. lol... I bought a new browning silver hunter lightning semi auto 12 gauge. The lightning model has a gloss finish on the wood and a rounded pistol grip, similar to the POW grip), where as the the basic silver hunter has a satin finish on the wood and a boxy pistol grip. Let me go on to say that i've always wanted an A.H. Fox sterlingworth or grade A to have restored and hunt with, but since that is way down the road, i put money down on a used weatherby Orion side by side 12 gauge that was made in spain by Zabala Hermanos that is in excellent condition. The new weatherby side by sides are made by fausti stefano and I don't have the cash at the moment to drop a couple grand on a shotgun. I'll be picking up the side by side later this month.
Black and White GWP

BigBoyTank

Post by BigBoyTank » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:41 pm

Currently aFranchi 20g SxS...Improved and Modified, Single trigger with ejectors. I have always shot SxS and don't think I'll ever shoot anything else.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:31 pm

Browning Silver 12 ga, i love it almost as much as my grandpas A5 that I learned to shoot with, I just hate to drag the old gun through the brush.

Capt Gary

Post by Capt Gary » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:06 pm

A pair of LC Smith Field Grades on 30" gun bored IC/LtMOD and a 28" gun that is SK/Sk. On occasion I will also use an Ithaca NID 2E that has been opened to SK/SK.
Three very nice pieces of American history still delivering great pleasure in the field.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:34 pm

CZ Mallard 20 ga. really starting to like those double triggers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:03 pm

Lot of folks using semi-autos!!!.....how often do you pull the trigger 3 times and how often are birds falling on the third shot?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:06 pm

JKP wrote:Lot of folks using semi-autos!!!.....how often do you pull the trigger 3 times and how often are birds falling on the third shot?
I have killed a triple on a covey rise twice in my life with my 20 guage Wingmaster pump. I would say that needing a third shot is fairly rare.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

tn red

Post by tn red » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:13 pm

I finally got a old school Frinchi AL/48 made in the 60s.I know its not fancy but i really like shooting this gun it just fits :D

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:24 pm

tn red wrote:I finally got a old school Frinchi AL/48 made in the 60s.I know its not fancy but i really like shooting this gun it just fits :D

As you know fancy doesn't make a gun shoot or fit better! The gun I shoot more than any other is a cheapo Charles Daily Field. I have been through the bolt handle breaking and all, the gun fits me well and I shoot it well, good enough for me!

Doesn't mean I still dont like the Super X 3 though :roll:

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:05 pm

I currently shoot a Browning Gold 12ga but have been interested in getting a sxs next spring. What would be a good intro 20 ga sxs? I really like the straight stocks. Don't want to spend a ton of money. Maybe $500 range. Then If I like the sxs I would upgrade to something better. Why two triggers compared to one? Can you shoot steel through a sxs?

How about something like this? Baikal Field 20 ga sxs
http://www.gunsamerica.com/943768421/Gu ... ga_SXS.htm

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:21 pm

Steel should only be shot thru approved barrels....I have seen this one tested by a friend and the end result was a 2500.00 gun reduced to worthless....and he was probably lucky near the end of its existence.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:15 am

JKP wrote:Lot of folks using semi-autos!!!.....how often do you pull the trigger 3 times and how often are birds falling on the third shot?
You seem to be implying that people that shoot semi-auto's can't shoot. So, here is the deal. I shoot a semi-auto. You have a standing challenge to shoot skeet against me and the autoloader, 100 targets, regular skeet, $20 per target difference in score.

Or, maybe you have an elitist attitude about slushimatics. Maybe people shoot them because they *prefer* them or because they are less expensive.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:39 am

rkappes wrote:I currently shoot a Browning Gold 12ga but have been interested in getting a sxs next spring. What would be a good intro 20 ga sxs? I really like the straight stocks. Don't want to spend a ton of money. Maybe $500 range. Then If I like the sxs I would upgrade to something better. Why two triggers compared to one? Can you shoot steel through a sxs?

The issue with Baikal is the steel or the treatment of the steel.
It often wears easily and problems develop...triggers, etc....or the triggers start out bad.
Avoid the Baikal....even as a test as it is not representative of a good scattergun.
Any SXS @ $500 is not worth it , IMHO.
The CZs are at the lower edge of what I would consider.
Your much better off with a used SXS...from $1000-$1500....maybe less on some later LCs, etc....these may not be perfect, stocks may have off dimensions but you can wind up with a shotgun thta will be handed down.
Just an idea.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:03 am

Greg Jennings wrote:
You seem to be implying that people that shoot semi-auto's can't shoot. So, here is the deal. I shoot a semi-auto. You have a standing challenge to shoot skeet against me and the autoloader, 100 targets, regular skeet, $20 per target difference in score.

Or, maybe you have an elitist attitude about slushimatics. Maybe people shoot them because they *prefer* them or because they are less expensive.

Autloaders have long been skeet smashers....not representative of guaranteed tranfer of effectiveness to gamebirds but the old 1100, in some configurations, may be the best birdgun ever made....all points considered.
Others have worked fine on SCs and even trap.
Knew a fella who took two 390s when he shot trap...if he had a problem he switched.
I would be careful of who challenges who in skeet...as a grooved game, any configuration of scattergun in skeet will dust 'em up and misses fall to mistakes of focus.
I think Missildine(?) shoot a semi-auto...many top shooters did and do.
While skeet started as a game for hunters, it is not so today for the majority.

Here is an unasked for opinion on semi-autos.
They have an unbelemished rep as bird killers but, in rough country especially, they are far more difficult to make safe as quickly as a break-open around dogs...or people.
Triggers are, on average, worse on a semi-auto....and triggers are right up there with balance as far as success at hitting flying.
Sometimes we adapt to bad triggers and never realize what we are missing.
Sometimes semi-autos are awkward as to balance...sometimes not.
I shoot a 24" BUL now and have seen no better gun to move to a bird....a magic wand, it is.
Other makes and models are not so lucky....often the shooter tho has no idea of what he is hampered with in shooting because he has never found the right semi-auto or sxs or o/u....or pump.
Actually, often it is the sxs shooter who does not recognize a bad sxs balance or one with poor dimensions, either.
I had a Beretta sxs that was far too light in the barrels....I got rid of it quickly.

As far as "eliteism"....some may feel that way and others see a different view, one based on tradition.
Some upland birds shout sxs...just the way it is.
That is not being an eliteist...it is honoring a perceived tradition that has a basis in practacality.
I have seen eliteist carrying pump actions.

No scattergun is best for all.
Most, if not all, misses are unrelated to the gun but rather fall to the decisions or distractions of the shooter.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:03 pm

I have a 20 gauge Baikal sxs that I shoot very well. The stock is bent for a left handed shooter which I am, it has 26" barrels which with that particular receiver makes for a very short sight plain for my 6'3" body, it's a bit heavy and clubby for it's relative size but I have never had it fail and I shoot lights out with it. I like it as a backup gun during quail season for my Yildiz 20 gauge o/u and I plan to pass it down to one of my sons should either one of them turn out to be a left handed shooter like me. I think my next purchase is going to be a Yildiz 20 gauge sxs but for now the Baikal shoots where I aim it and knocks down birds dead. With the Russian guns you get an inexpensive, tough, reliable, no frills, no nonsense firearm that does the job it was designed to do which is what the Russians are famous for i.e. the AK 47 and 74 rifles.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:44 am

I don't believe that you can't get a good SxS for under $500. Savage has marketed the Fox and the Stevens 311. Both are pretty heavy but solid as can be. I carried a 311 for a long time. There's also the AyA Matador series. I have three, 16, 28 and 410. They are very well made and got each for right at $500. Them I was told that Sear's used to sell a SxS and it was the AyA with Sears written on it! Haven't seen one but would not write it off if I found one. I also used a charles Daly SxS for years as a training gun and a field gun. Inexpensive and a well made gun. It was made by Marouka in Japan. I think Ithica also imported SKB's with their name on them. Thee Japaneese make some very nice guns.

At this point in my life, I don't believe I'll ever get another shotgun, I've got five and one I never use. I love my AyA's and they are all I carry anymore. Although there is an ad in classified's for an AyA in So Carolina that makes me rethink that position. I havd one in 12ga and lost it, this one is another 12ga with side locks. Never had a sidelock.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:12 pm

Sometimes, budget does dictate. When I was newly married, I wanted a new shotgun very badly. I had to mesh my wants and needs with a convincing argument to sell the idea to my new wife! I ended up buying a Browning 12g A 500=G. My stance was that it would be the everything gun. It could handle light target loads for dove all the way up to 3" shells for geese or turkey. It also had the same look as the old Belgium made Brownings that I had learned to shoot with when I was younger. I am right handed, but left eye dominant. I naturally picked up long guns and shot them left handed. I would LOVE to have a left handed shotgun!
Every year, I browse online at the shiny over and under shotguns. I am worse than a kid looking at the Christmas catalog!!! Every year, I decide to keep shooting what I have and spend that $2000 on another area. Beretta has a side by side on their website that lists for $130,000!!!!
I am sure that I will get a "nice" gun someday. Right now, I am just content to watch my new puppy point them birds.

bently

Post by bently » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:13 pm

I used to use a remington spr 453 but won a stoeger 2000 at a shriners raffle and used my first trip to a couple of weeks ago and loved it. mainly due to it was about half the weight of the remington (or at least it seemed like it) :D

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:53 pm

You seem to be implying that people that shoot semi-auto's can't shoot.
Well, I can see like it may have sounded that way...but that wasn't my point. I meant that seldom is there an opportunity for a quality third shot on any rise...except for the very occasional "hold back". The one thing I don't like about autos is that too often I have seen folks just keep pulling the trigger...instead of taking the shot....one pheasant...3 guns...nine shots...and the last three were well out of range. Don't imagine that is the case here too often...but I fill in at the local preserve when they need someone....and it would appear its being taught as a school of shooting :roll:

redsetter18

Post by redsetter18 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:58 pm

i shoot a Winchester model 1897 12 gauge 30 inch full for all upland birds i just try to let them get out there a ways if i'm correct i think the production date is 1954 but that might be my model 12 not really sure on that i have my 870 for the dreary rainy days

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:45 am

I shoot a Tri-Star model 411D 28ga SxS at all upland birds. It's not too light and it's not too heavy. They don't make the 411D's anymore, The 411D's have an english stock, single trigger, fixed chokes: IC and Mod, in a 26" barrel, and were slimmer from top to bottom of the box lock action then their current models which in my opinion have poor lines. Yes I have to pass up a few longer shots at pheasants when I hunt them, which is not often, but my averages on close in birds is far better with this gun, then any I've owned. And if you hunt over Gordon Setters most of your shots are close anyway:)
Tom

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:58 am

Mountaineer wrote:
rkappes wrote:I currently shoot a Browning Gold 12ga but have been interested in getting a sxs next spring. What would be a good intro 20 ga sxs? I really like the straight stocks. Don't want to spend a ton of money. Maybe $500 range. Then If I like the sxs I would upgrade to something better. Why two triggers compared to one? Can you shoot steel through a sxs?

The issue with Baikal is the steel or the treatment of the steel.
It often wears easily and problems develop...triggers, etc....or the triggers start out bad.
Avoid the Baikal....even as a test as it is not representative of a good scattergun.
Any SXS @ $500 is not worth it , IMHO.
The CZs are at the lower edge of what I would consider.
Your much better off with a used SXS...from $1000-$1500....maybe less on some later LCs, etc....these may not be perfect, stocks may have off dimensions but you can wind up with a shotgun thta will be handed down.
Just an idea.
Mountaineer, thanks for the info! What kind of used SXS would you recommend? What's a "LC"? Thanks again!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:00 am

tommyboy72 wrote:I have a 20 gauge Baikal sxs that I shoot very well. The stock is bent for a left handed shooter which I am, it has 26" barrels which with that particular receiver makes for a very short sight plain for my 6'3" body, it's a bit heavy and clubby for it's relative size but I have never had it fail and I shoot lights out with it. I like it as a backup gun during quail season for my Yildiz 20 gauge o/u and I plan to pass it down to one of my sons should either one of them turn out to be a left handed shooter like me. I think my next purchase is going to be a Yildiz 20 gauge sxs but for now the Baikal shoots where I aim it and knocks down birds dead. With the Russian guns you get an inexpensive, tough, reliable, no frills, no nonsense firearm that does the job it was designed to do which is what the Russians are famous for i.e. the AK 47 and 74 rifles.
What does a Yildiz 20 gauge sxs go for?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:24 am

LC Smith

I would look and save for a Fox Sterlingworth or a low letter grade Fox and slowly work to make it my own as expenses allow rather than buy the Russian or Turkish stuff which is maxxed out when you buy it...but each to their own.

Or there is nothing wrong with the Browning BSS or the older SKB SXSs...I always wanted an SKB 280.
Best buy would be an Miroku shotgun...not sure if they made a SXS tho....maybe.

Look on the various better gun sites...ex.: www.jaquas.com

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:06 am

This is looking more and more like a HOF thread. 80 posts is a lot!

I'll be using my good ol' Rem 870 Express .12 gauge! Because I have to pump I also have to re-aim every shot. Makes me a lot more honest when I miss the first time. I may miss once... dont count on it again.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:18 am

Mountaineer wrote:LC Smith

I would look and save for a Fox Sterlingworth or a low letter grade Fox and slowly work to make it my own as expenses allow rather than buy the Russian or Turkish stuff which is maxxed out when you buy it...but each to their own.

Or there is nothing wrong with the Browning BSS or the older SKB SXSs...I always wanted an SKB 280.
Best buy would be an Miroku shotgun...not sure if they made a SXS tho....maybe.

Look on the various better gun sites...ex.: http://www.jaquas.com

Miroku made the Charles Daly SxS's. Really nice guns. Mine is now with my son.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:06 pm

Don wrote:...Miroku made the Charles Daly SxS's. Really nice guns....

Thought so....the O/Us are Browning clones or near-clones...fit, finish and handling was very good.
I have seen Miroku O/Us priced from $400-$600 used.
The receive the bad Japanese rap from some but there is no better deal out there.
I would hope the SXSs are the same.
Mirokus are deserve a look.

Deets

Post by Deets » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:54 pm

As of this year I am using a Browning BPS upland special 16GA. I think this is the best pump gun I have ever shot and this is why.
- Tang Saftey; which is were every saftey should be, and it is ambidextrous
- Magazine release; makes unloading easy and safe
- Bottom eject; also an ambidextrous feature, (my son is left handed and I plan on handing the gun down to him)
- Solid steel reciver; the only thing on this gun that is not steel or walnut is the plastic butt plate.
- Blued reciver and barrel. I like classic looking guns, the barrel and reciver are blued not painted (ie. black crome) like so many guns these days. If you put this gun on the shelf of a gun store 40 years ago the only thing that would stand out would be the choke tubes.
- English style walnut stock; I don't know why other gun manufactures stoped making the "upland" style repeaters with the straight stock and short barrels because they shoulder great.
- 16ga; on a true 16ga frame. Like I mentioned before I like classic guns and I am a bit nostalgic the 16 ga is pretty cool and it has no problem taking down wild phesants

Deets

Post by Deets » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:01 pm

I shoot a pump and have shot alot of birds on the third shot, but they are never the same bird I shot at with the first two shots. Usually when this happens I will flush a phesant and miss with the first two shots and then another rooster will flush and I will hit him with the third. Usually happens on those late season cold windy days when the birds are all bunched up

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:37 pm

I usually use a Browning gold fusion but once in awhile I'll take my citori.

mik

Post by mik » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:52 pm

Usually taking the Franchi 48-AL 20g. and have on occasion with the pheasants been takin the Stoeger M2000 12G for a few extra pellets :lol:

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:44 pm

I usually shoot a baikal 20ga o/u and really like to shoot it. this year I traded in my SX3 for an original SBE, I got tired of carrying a plastic gun.
once a year i carry my great grandfathers old crecent sxs with some light hand loads and shoot a couple quail, just because.
JIm
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Oldfarmer

Post by Oldfarmer » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:25 pm

I shoot a Remington 1100 in 28 gauge most of the time throwing 1 oz. of little round pellets, but once in a while I will feel the need for an extra 3/16 oz. and I'll switch to a Browning B80 12 gauge. I don't like to carry any more weight than I have too.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:01 am

I still use and probably will always use a Model 12 16 gauge. Perfect all around gun.

wills1235

Post by wills1235 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:38 pm

Old 870 Express (do they make them in anything but 12?) was my first shotgun and still my go to gun. I'm looking at picking up a baikal o/u 20 though. Nice for quail and I'm finding a lot of shot in my Pheasants at the dinner table. Guess I'm shooting that 870 to well.... lol.
The best place to hunt is where the birds are. Next best is where they ain't. Anywhere else works too.

russnhunter

Post by russnhunter » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:39 pm

I use a Stoeger 20 ga over/under for dove #7's, same gun with 4's for chukar
I use either a Mossberg 12 ga semi-auto (my lucky gun), a Mossberg 835 ulta-mag or my spanish made side by side for grouse and pheasant with 4's and 6's.
I also use the 835 for duck with 3-1/2's for duck.
I hunt in Colorado, not sure if birds or terrain are different in other states.
Thanks,
RussnHunter
Have fun,
Russ"N"Hunter

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:51 pm

wills1235 wrote:Old 870 Express (do they make them in anything but 12?) was my first shotgun and still my go to gun. I'm looking at picking up a baikal o/u 20 though. Nice for quail and I'm finding a lot of shot in my Pheasants at the dinner table. Guess I'm shooting that 870 to well.... lol.
Just increase the lead a little bit so you put the pellets in the head and neck. :P :wink:
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

kybirdguy

Post by kybirdguy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:44 pm

Remington Peerless O/U. Gun is a little heavy, but has performed flawlessly shot after shot.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:40 am

Mostly Beretta 390, when the wind chills out for a bit i will grab my Browning A5 Sweet 16, love that little gun.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:43 am

GSP4Me,
I have a collection of L.C. Smith double guns that I use for bird hunting, most of these guns have been handed down to me thru generations of our family.
They get uses every year and are kept in perfect shape. Always bring a back up when I hunt or shoot clays, never had a peoblem but always plan to eliminate one.
RGD/Dave

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:36 pm

I've only had the privledge of hunting Doves (plan to change that this year!) but so far...

878 automaster 12ga (handed down)
870 express 12ga
870 wingmaster .410 (handed down)

And my newest edition a CZ bobwhite in 12ga. Hopefully i'll get some bobwhites and pheasants in '11.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:54 am

Shoot a red label on pheasants, unless I'm hunting in a group then I go the a Browning Gold because I often have the need for the third,fourth, and on some occasions the fifth shell. Hunted for 10 years with an 870 and it was a great gun, switched to a Browning BPS and short stroked it to often (it would eject the shell and not feed the other) so I traded it in on the Gold. I talked with 2 other people who had the same problem with the bps.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:21 pm

Ruger O/U Stainless 12 ga. You can't break it. Choked depending on species.
1946 Model 12 16 ga. that was my grandpaws.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

OhioVizsla

Post by OhioVizsla » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:01 am

28 ga. Browning Citori Superlite with fixed i.c. & mod in 26" barrels. I shoot #9's for dove, woodcock, & quail, and 7-1/2's for ruffed grouse, sharptail grouse & S.D. roosters. Everyone shakes their head when I tell them, but heck, I'm shooting over a pointer! A long shot for me is 25 yards.