What type of shotgun are you using for your bird hunts?

Thinblueline

Re: What type of shotgun are you using for your bird hunts?

Post by Thinblueline » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:10 am

I’m relatively new to the site but I will tell you what I have chosen for all my bird hunting. I’ve always shot real cheap guns but in the last few years I cashed in some saved comp. time at work for a few nicer but reasonable options I hope my grown sons will someday use. My primary game is grouse and woodcock, and for that I have chosen a 20 gauge Browning Citori White Lightning with 26 inch barrels. As a backup to that gun, and for those days I might want to hunt doves, take a trip for chukars, shoot over a wood duck hole, or go after state released pheasants on our public areas, I have a 20 gauge Benelli Montefeltro with 26 inch barrel. Anytime I’m after big ducks and geese, or if I take a trip out west for pheasants, I’ve got a 12 gauge Benelli Montefeltro with 26 inch barrel. Any trip where I’m traveling for waterfowl or pheasants, I’ll back up my 12 gauge Benelli with a 12 gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster with a 26 inch barrel. Moral of the story, I like Wood stocks and 26 inch barrels.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:17 am

I've never had a lot of shotguns around. Talk about a gun as a tool, that's about the way it is. If I was to hunt ducks again, probably never will, I'd take my mod 37 16ga. But my hunting for chukars days are about over, to many hills! Few years ago I started using my 28ga AyA Matador. Love it. Have three of them, the 28, a 410 and a 16. had a 12 years ago but it got stolen, loved that 12 ga. I've thought about a 20 now and then but have got to used to my 28!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

CZfan107

Post by CZfan107 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:17 pm

I use a Fabarm ELOS Deluxe 20 ga.
Last edited by CZfan107 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sask hunter

Post by Sask hunter » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:42 am

Just a plain old 870 12 gauge. Use it from waterfowl or upland

marc

Post by marc » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:58 pm

Been having pheasant preserve fun with a Bernadelli SxS 20ga. I picked up. Light and fast!
Bern 20 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wingseeker

Post by wingseeker » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:19 pm

Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus with HeviX 3" 2's and 4's for waterfowl

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:42 pm

fishvik wrote:Remington 870 12 gauge is my go to gun for most everything. On occasion I use my 20 gauge Mossberg for quail and ruff grouse. I've got to agree with Ruffshooter that if you want to get some law breaking pukes undivided attention, a round chambered through a pump shotgun is a show stopper.
My hunting partner ( passed on) shot a field grade 870, 12 ga. He shot 99 out of 100 at 27yd line at one trap meet. He had a modified cheek rest he taped on for trap shooting. Not even a upgraded trigger. I made him buy a cylinder barrel for quail over dogs. He squeezed every penny but was a great guy. RIP

ChiefO

Post by ChiefO » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:31 pm

Franchi AL-48 in 28 gauge. She’s got a 28” barrel and a Carlson extended skeet tube. This gun fits me better than anything I’ve ever owned. I’ve had some great hunts with it.

birds

Post by birds » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:51 pm

Carried one of two .20 gauge Ithaca SKB Model 100s for 45 years. Just recently bought a Beretta .20 gauge 486 Parallelo. We'll see...didn't sell the SKBs!

Bowguy

Post by Bowguy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:19 pm

28 ga 525 Browning o/u.

DneprM750

Post by DneprM750 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:02 am

It depends on where I am; if I'm in the US, I use a 12ga Rem 870 with birdshot (I don't spend that much time there, so I got my hands on the most versatile weapon I could get) and in Russia, I use a .410 Saiga.

ON Honker Hunter

Post by ON Honker Hunter » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:50 pm

For geese here I use a 1976 Browning (Miroku) Magnum Twelve A-5 I bought used four years ago. Foul weather days I'll dust off my old 1968 Rem 870 magnum. For uplands it's a modified fixed choke Light Twelve A-5 bought in 1972 during my tour in Korea. The big A-5 also doubles as my trap/clays/skeet gun. It's now dressed in synthetic to lighten the load and for durability/ease of care.

All game taken on publicly accessible land.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:02 am

Pretty plain Jane here.

Used a magnum Browning humpback in 20 ga. with a 26' IC barrel for a lot of years on upland game. Never once fired a 3" shell through it, but thought I should have the option. Never felt I needed more than a 20 for upland since I did my thing behind pointing dogs.

About 25 years ago I decided to try something just a little different and bought a Citori, again in 20 ga. and again 26".

I will occasionally take out a CZ 28 ga. O/U that I bought for my grandson, when he is old enough to use it. Has to be nice weather since it ain't mine. That one has 28" barrels because the 26" seemed to whippy to me. Nice light little gun. Hits pretty hard too(when I do my part).

RayG

ON Honker Hunter

Post by ON Honker Hunter » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:27 pm

birddogger2 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:02 am
Pretty plain Jane here.

Used a magnum Browning humpback in 20 ga. with a 26' IC barrel for a lot of years on upland game. Never once fired a 3" shell through it, but thought I should have the option. Never felt I needed more than a 20 for upland since I did my thing behind pointing dogs.

About 25 years ago I decided to try something just a little different and bought a Citori, again in 20 ga. and again 26".

I will occasionally take out a CZ 28 ga. O/U that I bought for my grandson, when he is old enough to use it. Has to be nice weather since it ain't mine. That one has 28" barrels because the 26" seemed to whippy to me. Nice light little gun. Hits pretty hard too(when I do my part).

RayG
I recently (three weeks ago) bought a like new 28" twelve gauge 1999 Citori with chokes ($700). I will probably be using it mostly on the skeet/clays range. It's been tough hunting in Montana the last couple of years and lucky to find anything that will hold long enough to get very close. It's been pretty much flushing dog work. But mostly a helluva lot of work! Nothing like putting seven or eight miles before even getting a shot. Then too pooped to do it justice.

Adowyn

Post by Adowyn » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:00 am

Hello. I am a beginner hunter and I am very interested to find out what types of shotgun are used for bird hunting. Photo mining is very cool it captures. I would like to know what kind of binoculars you use for bird hunting my hunting recommend me buy bino Meopta MeoPro HD 10 × 42. What advice?