Walmart

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Walmart

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:49 am

can you believe Walmart doesn't sell guns in NJ?

natetnc

Re: Walmart

Post by natetnc » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:55 am

seems they have been phasing them out with time. as a kid i remember wal-mart having a decent selection, now they have about 10 guns here in NC.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:03 pm

after Columbine the department stores dont want the exposure

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:20 pm

Welcome to NJ! They also don't sell ammo! :roll:

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:04 am

I have heard they only sell guns in their stores that rate in the top 24% in overall sales. They stopped selling around where I live in Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas as well.

setterbud

Post by setterbud » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:46 am

still selling them here in MO,

KALEBSDAD

Post by KALEBSDAD » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:20 am

There are a few here in Indiana, that still sell them, was told that even if a store no longer sold guns, they can still order a gun for you

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:48 am

Yeah, WM stopped carrying guns in a lot of their stores some years ago, and have been phasing them back in other stores ever since. If you want a gun from a store that doesn't stock them, ask to see their catalog to order one. You can't "throw it up" before you buy it that way, and I'm sure that will hurt WM gun sales, but there are still folks out there that will buy sight-unseen.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

JasonW77

Post by JasonW77 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:26 am

Still selling them in WA

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:57 pm

Wal mart sells guns and ammunition is Kansas. They don't sell any guns I'd want, but they sell long guns.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:06 am

Maybe half of the Walmarts down here sell guns. All of them sell ammunition, though. Still the cheapest place to get shells.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:46 am

Still have a pretty good selection in this part of North Carolina and they still sell Ammo also.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:06 pm

phermes1 wrote:Maybe half of the Walmarts down here sell guns. All of them sell ammunition, though. Still the cheapest place to get shells.
That's why man made reloaders! I used to think it was too much a hassle. Now I shoot about 500 rounds a month, and it has saved me a bundle. Not to mention fun and a great way to spend quality time in the garage!
And, yes, If you can beat everyone to Wal marts sale on 100 pk boxes of Federals for like $23 when they have them, its a great bang for your buck. Then, save the hulls and reload them 3 times, and throw away.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

uglyleaper

Post by uglyleaper » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:59 am

Shop your local dealers the little extra is worth it to support small local business owners. If you want a good one that even ships some ammo for free call Rogers in Liberty,MO rogerssportinggoods.com If you haven't tried them you don't know what your missing!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:07 am

i make a point to support local dealers even if it costs more..i was just surprised that Walmart and even "bleep"'s dont have guns

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:24 pm

there are alot of walmarts that dnt sell guns anymore and thats fine by me since most of the idiots behind the counter dont know a thing about guns other than they go bang. its worth going to a real gun shop.
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:54 pm

they don't sell guns in wal-mart here i Illinois any more can't even get a BB gun unless your 18 and have your Id here any more

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:47 pm

You cant buy a BB gun in NJ without Firearms ID Card. Getting the ID card entails filling out an application, getting fingerprinted ($60) with FBI clearance, getting two letters of reference, employment verification, a release of any mental health records, signing a statement that you have no history of domestic violence and waiting months when the state law is 30 day issuance. Many people take their local police chief to court in order to get the card. In fact, at a few dealers I have seen attorney business cards on the counter. The irony of all this is that they don't even register the firearm.

Every gun except a hand gun is covered.

If you want a handgun, you get an individual permit plus the above to buy one and the permit is good for only 90 days. So if you don't buy it within 90 days you have to start all over.

In PA and NY all you have to have is drivers license but they are required to abide by your state's law.

It's totally outrageous.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:43 pm

Sounds like there is one state marked off my list of places to live. :lol:

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:56 pm

plus when you get there they tell you that a certified check is required for both the township fees and FBI clearance fees, so after you come home from work early on the one day a week the chief is there after 4 pm, they make you run to the bank and get certified checks.

even Giants tickets didn't help

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:15 pm

CT Wal-Marts (Supercenters) still carry guns, the smaller Wal-Marts phased them out. They sell ammo, and plenty of shotshell hulls, but the pistol/rifle ammo has been sparse ever since Obama got sworn-in. Not to get politcal or anything, just an observation.
A good bird dog is always the right color

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:43 pm

The explanation I heard back when they discontinued guns in some of their stores was the stores with few sales were being phased out. I think that must be true because the larger stores in our area still have guns and the smaller ones don't. They saud it wasn't worth the hassle which is probably true but needs to be corrected. Thats just another way to stop the sales of guns is make it too much of a hassle for the retailers to even handle them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:54 pm

claybuster_aa wrote:CT Wal-Marts (Supercenters) still carry guns, the smaller Wal-Marts phased them out. They sell ammo, and plenty of shotshell hulls, but the pistol/rifle ammo has been sparse ever since Obama got sworn-in. Not to get politcal or anything, just an observation.
It's not just Wal-Mart. It's everywhere. Reloading components as well. The bottom line is that it's hoarding. People are buying up ammo and components in the fear that prices are going to go up and availability go down due to new laws and policies. I'm not giving an opinion as to them being right or wrong, just pointing to the cause.

I've had to get on a waiting list for Federal small rifle benchrest primers. I've been on and am *still* on the waiting list for VV N120 rifle powder. I ended up going to my third choice to get powder.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:55 pm

McBosco, dude, you need to get out of Jersey!

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:20 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:
claybuster_aa wrote:CT Wal-Marts (Supercenters) still carry guns, the smaller Wal-Marts phased them out. They sell ammo, and plenty of shotshell hulls, but the pistol/rifle ammo has been sparse ever since Obama got sworn-in. Not to get politcal or anything, just an observation.
It's not just Wal-Mart. It's everywhere. Reloading components as well. The bottom line is that it's hoarding. People are buying up ammo and components in the fear that prices are going to go up and availability go down due to new laws and policies. I'm not giving an opinion as to them being right or wrong, just pointing to the cause.

I've had to get on a waiting list for Federal small rifle benchrest primers. I've been on and am *still* on the waiting list for VV N120 rifle powder. I ended up going to my third choice to get powder.
I just use shot shell primers and so far I have been ok finding them. Most all 209s will work in my 1oz recipe. Win 209s one guy was low on. At another place, he's pretty good with the Federals. I have never bought the European ones, but a friend just picked up 1000 for $25 I think he said, the Cheddites. He had a few mis-fires as well with those Cheddites with a new gun, a Browning XS Skeet w/ adj comb. He thinks maybe the Cheddites set a little to deep a needs to readjust. Powder seems ok as well here in Conn.

Now I have a friend in NJ who obviously can't get anything in regards to ammo. I don't know about reloading supplies, but I do know you can still mail order over the Net and have it shipped to your residence in NJ. That's pistol ammo, and that assuming you can find any on the Net. Last time I looked at cheaper-than-dirt, they had a ton of SOLD OUTS for a lot of ammo.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:26 am

I've been shooting a little bit of benchrest the past year. The benchrest cases (.220 Russian for 6PPC and the 22-100 PPC and the 6BR for the 6 and 30 BR), primers and powders are as scarce as hen's teeth. The custom bullets that basically all BR-ers shoot are almost always a waiting-list kind of thing, and that's been about the same. I searched the whole blasted planet for the VV 120 and couldn't find any and couldn't find my second choice H4831 either. Ended up with Reloader 7.

Around here, "bleep" (evading the obscenity scanner there), WalMart, etc. are all *out* of pistol ammo and have placed limits on how much they'll let a given customer buy at a time.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:47 am

i was going to move to Steamboat Springs but the wife said no about 3 years ago. If I had done that I could have been out of the office by 2pm and have the rest of the day to play.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:59 pm

She must have had a heck of a reason. Steamboat is a beautiful place. After the kids get out of high school, I'm thinking about heading to Colorado Springs to get out that way.

But Jersey? I was TDY to Valley Forge/King of Prussia for about a year. I thought I was going to die from citification if the traffic on the SureKill Expressway didn't get me first.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:19 pm

About 7 or 8 years ago I worked for a construction company out of Steamboat called Great Western Earthworks. Spent quite a few weekends up in Steamboat with the bosses and local fellow employees. Super nice, down to earth people. Not at all the left wing, hippy, greenpeace types you would have expected to live there. Most mountain towns I have been too have a lot of these types there. Even the company owners and bosses were very down to earth. You would have been very happy there I am sure. Man I have been drunker in Steamboat than I have anywhere else in my entire life. They say that altitude effects alcohol tolerance and I was warned but did not listen. Brings back fond memories. :)

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:50 pm

Tell me about being smothered, I work in Manhattan, luckily a few blocks from the Beretta gallery. I do live in a farmy area near the beach which provides some relief.

Its a drag being here, luckily I have a place in Naples, Fla and Vermont is not far away.

Great looking women in Steamboat, but Manhattan wins that prize, hands down.

Take a look at Durango & Silverton, Colorado, my favs out there.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:38 pm

If I head out there, my work will be either right in Co. Springs or in the southern part of the Denver-to-Co. Springs corridor. Post-work, I'm going to follow the seasons between the Mortlach area and Georgia.

You must have something serious going on to afford a place in FL now. The hurricane insurance is terrible and I know folks in the Malabar-to-Cocoa area whose property taxes have gone up 15% this year alone....

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:09 pm

My brother lives in Ft. Meyers and I have heard it is horrible to own property down there. My brother owned and sold his house and his rent house and moved into an apartment with his girlfriend because of the taxes.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:55 pm

Greg Jennings wrote: But Jersey? I was TDY to Valley Forge/King of Prussia for about a year. I thought I was going to die from citification if the traffic on the SureKill Expressway didn't get me first.
My old neck of the woods, born and raised. West Norriton Township.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:21 am

Ammo and guns at local WalMart here. $20 for a box of 100 6,7 1/2,8 shot.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:55 pm

NJ is a nanny state, plain and simple

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:19 pm

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:39 pm

its not just walmart that is nuts, i was in "bleep" this weekend and you cant even look at a gun unless you have youe NJ Firearms Card, the guys wont even unlock them unless you give it to them and they keep it until the gun is locked up again

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:31 pm

That is what happens when criminals have more rights than ordinary, law abiding citizens. Some day maybe the naive politicians will realize that their laws and constitutional amendments and their idiotic rules only affect those participating in society in a legal manner and that criminals purchase their firearms on the black market or through other criminals therefore the only thing they are accomplishing is leaving those that choose to follow their laws defenseless. Heck what do the politicians care they have dozens of armed bodyguards to look after them.