Hevi Shot question

marshboy

Hevi Shot question

Post by marshboy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:45 am

Question here for any HeviShot users out there...I've heard lots of good things about HeviShot, and I use it for turkey and I also shoot the Classic Doubles load through my 28 ga.
I'm considering buying a case for duck shooting. I shoot #4 steel shot now...would you keep the same size shot or would you change to #6? I think I remember reading somewhere to drop back a couple of shot sizes for HeviShot.
Thanks in advance,
marshboy

Gordon Guy

Re: Hevi Shot question

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:14 pm

I thought Heavi-Shot was more dense than lead. ? I have used it on geese and ducks over stubble fields in ND and really do like it. 5's or 6's would be my choice for ducks over decoys and BB's or 1's for geese. I remember shooting lead a long time ago and we shot 5's and 6's quite a bit.
Tom

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:51 pm

If your shooting #4 steel for ducks currently, you must be keeping your shots relatively close (Under 35 yards) or you should be with 4's.... If that's the case I would opt for #6 in hevi-shot as the increased pellet count will sweeten the pattern. I think you'll find the #6 to your liking and it should more than handle anything you've been doing with #4 steel.

P.S. I think you may have been referring to the old lead vs steel comparison which always stated roughly 2 sizes larger when going from lead to steel to get comparable downrange ballistics.

marshboy

Post by marshboy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:13 am

Chaingang,
You are correct, my waterfowl shots are close...35 yards would be a long shot.
I remember the old steel vs lead comparison (drop two sizes down for steel), but I thought I had read something similar for HeviShot...maybe I remember incorrectly.
marshboy

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:55 am

Gordon Guy wrote:I thought Heavi-Shot was more dense than lead. ?
It is.. So when marshboy asked whether he could drop down a couple sizes when going to Hevi, he can. Technically you may be able to go 3 sizes since the old 2 size rule of thumb was for steel/lead comparison. Either way #6 hevi-shot is more than enough for most duck shooting.

Marshboy,

Steel has come a long way in the last several years. Have you seen or used the new premium "Black Cloud" steel from Federal?

Check it out if you haven't, may be a good alternative and certainly less expensive than Hevi-shot.

marshboy

Post by marshboy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:48 am

Chaingang,
For ducks and pheasants I shoot the same load, 3 inch Kent Fasteel 1 and 1/4 once of #4s, at 1425 fps. I only shoot ducks over the dekes, and pheasants flushed before my dog.
I've shot this load for years out of both my Benelli SBEs and my Benelli Ultralight, through an IC choke.
Here's some photographic evidence of my success :D
All pictures were taken near The Pas, Manitoba, during Septembers of 2006 and 2007.
marshboy

Boxa

Post by Boxa » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:42 am

On some of the public ground we hunt in IA and SD there were requirements to use no-tox. We bought hevishot #6, 3", 20 ga and had good luck on pointed pheasants. The next year we were only able to find #4, 2 3/4", 12ga. I couldn't tell that much difference and the birds kept hitting the ground.
Caleb F. Bryson
Bryson's Boxa Kennel

FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Briarpatch Baby SH
FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Lucky St. Lindy SH
DC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Wendell W. Woodbriar

12guns

Post by 12guns » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:21 pm

Just looked around the site a little after making my first post, good info here! I'll throw in my .02.
Some has already been covered, but yes, hevi shot is heavier than lead, harder too. I've duck hunted here in Arkansas with #6 hevi shot and LOVE it! Depending on how good of a year we're having, sometimes we are forced to take longer shots, I was shooting 1's and 2's steel and jumped all the way to 6's w/ hevi shot. Down side is recoil and cost. Last year I tried "Hevi Steel" made my hevi shot. It was hevier than steel, but lighter than hevi shot. Was good stuff, I actually shot 4's and 6's in that and had more than one person ask what I was shooting after retreiving my duck. Did a great job and you get 25 shells for same price as 10 shells of hevi shot. Not sure, but I think they replaced it w/ "hevi metal" this year, but I can't find anywhere that confirms it's denser/hevier than regular steel. Either way, I'll be duck hunting this year w/ "hevisteel" or an equivilant. Hope that helps.

Madra Rua

Post by Madra Rua » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:55 pm

Iv been using Heavy Metal, with pattern master choke, excellent stuff.
when patterning at 40 yards over 90% every time with in a 30 inch circle with a very even pattern.
I like it a lot.

Madra Rua
Fetch it up

12guns

Post by 12guns » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:00 pm

Do you know if it's heavier than steel? I would assume so, but he box only talks about the pattern density, couldn't find out anywhere!

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:49 pm

12guns wrote:Do you know if it's heavier than steel? I would assume so, but he box only talks about the pattern density, couldn't find out anywhere!
Yes it is slightly heavier than steel. But it is discontinued and is being replaced by Hevi-Metal: http://www.hevishot.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=15

12guns

Post by 12guns » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:57 am

So is Hevi metal heavier than steel just like hevi steel was? The add you linked to says "pattern density" and 30% more pellet's on target, etc. Doesn't mention shot density or weight.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:15 am

12guns wrote:So is Hevi metal heavier than steel just like hevi steel was?
No, actually it's lighter. Hevi steel and Hevi Metal are completely different. The way I understand it the load was designed to be more lethal than regular steel within normal shooting ranges by putting more pellets on the target. The pellets while denser than regular steel are also lighter allowing you to use a smaller shot size, thus many more pellets on target with equal or greater downrange energy.

Basically a cheaper alternative for normal shooting ranges than Hevi shot. Their stating about $5/box cheaper than even Hevi Steel when it was available.

if you click on the link and scroll down a bit you can read what some of the differences are. http://www.hevishot.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=11

12guns

Post by 12guns » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:38 pm

Makes sense, but I sure did like Hevi Steel! I like to energy being carried further down range w/ the hevier stuff, but if I'm shooting up close and personal, sounds like hevimetal would be great. My dad has several boxes of Hevi shot, I may mooch off him some this year! Good ole steel isn't so bad either. I've been known to shoot BB's in order to keep from chasing cripples LOL

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:54 pm

Not sure if you have a Cabela's near you or not, but after looking on their site I see you can still buy Hevi-Steel. It's on sale, but looking at the price of Hevi-Metal, which they are also selling, it looks to be about $5-6 less per box than Hevi-Steel.