28 Gauge Ammo

gspmo1

28 Gauge Ammo

Post by gspmo1 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:45 pm

I have a 28 gauge Browning BPS shotgun. I'm looking for non toxic shot for the 28. I was wondering if anyone out there has hunted waterfowl with the 28, or has any experience with non toxic shot with it. I realize the 28 is a small caliber for waterfowl, but I'm wanting anyone's opinion on this. Thanks

Gordon Guy

Re: 28 Gauge Ammo

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:18 am

There are a few companies that make non-toxic shot for 28's. RST to name one, available online only. I saw some 28 gauge Bismuth Shot in Cabela's the other day manufactured by another company, can't remember the name right now. Polywad is advertising a non-toxic shell for 28's as well. The Polywad shell is only recommended for small birds out to 35 yards. I shoot a 28 almost exclusively now and wouldn't hesitate using it for close-in duck shooting (i.e. over decoys)
Tom

OHIO VIZSLA

Post by OHIO VIZSLA » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:50 am

I've shot mallards & even a few geese with my 28 ga.. All my shots were close, under 30 yards, & most around 20 yds.
The geese were under 15 yds. I reloaded my Win. AA hulls with bismuth shot that I bought from Precision Reloading about 8 years ago. All my waterfowl shooting was done with #6's, & I try to head shoot them. I also load 7 1/2's in bismuth for South Dakota no-tox pheasant hunting. Again, all shots were close, non over 30 yds, & most around 20 yds.

marshboy

Post by marshboy » Sun May 31, 2009 8:31 pm

I like the HeviShot Classic Doubles load. It is 5/8 of an once....I shoot #6 shot.
I killed a few roosters with it last fall out of my Beretta Silver Pigeon O/U...wish I would have used it more.
Out of a modified choke, this load at 25 yards throws as dense a pattern as that of either of my 12 gauges.
marshboy