side by side...what brand/model do you shoot?

GhillieSuit22

side by side...what brand/model do you shoot?

Post by GhillieSuit22 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:29 am

I am sure this has been touched on many times but I will ask it again. Sometime in the future I would like to purchase a 20 gauge side by side. I want one that balances well and is lite to carry in the field/woods...I also want one that is going to last a lifetime but also one that I don't mind looking at.

What brand/model do you shoot, why do you like it, and about how much does it cost? Pictures would be great but not necessary!

Orangecrush

Re: side by side...what brand/model do you shoot?

Post by Orangecrush » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:23 am

I shoot an old Savage-Fox Model B-SE. I like it because it is light in the field, swings with ease and is easy to maintain. I think you can pick one up for $300-$500. It was a hand-me-down from my Dad and I've had it for 15 years or so. I'm not sure what year it was made, but I'm guessing in the 70s or 80s. It's not the Cadilliac of SxS guns, but it gets the job done and hasn't failed me yet. I just broke the rear stock on it in February, so I'll be fitting a new one this summer.
"You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly
enough I can have it. It's called perseverance."
~ Lee Iacocca ~

texscala

Post by texscala » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:07 am

I shoot a 20 Stevens 311 model H. Nice little gun that gets the job done. I would like to get a nice Fox one day but would be afraid to hunt chukars with it.

You can find these guns in the $300 to $400 range

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:58 am

I'll 2nd the Stevens 311. Bought one off gunbroker last year. Only thing I wish it had was ejectors.

cntryboy

Post by cntryboy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:56 pm

I have been shooting this 20 ga. since I was a kid, my dad bought it from my 1st grade teacher some 20 plus yrs. ago. This is a great gun but I don't know much about it, I was hoping someone on here may know some info. on it. It has Winston and Churchill by Kassnar stamped on the barrels. This gun shoots fantastic and I have never had an issue with it, it feels like it was made for me and has some beautiful engraving so it's nice to look at. I wouldn't go in the field w/o it. If anyone knows anything about this gun/manufacturer I would appreciate it.
3422516415_00dd046bfb_m[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:43 am

Ithaca SKB 20 gauge (SKT SKT-25" barrels)
A good bird dog is always the right color

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:06 am

cntryboy see if you can link some bigger pictures. It is really hard to see much detail as they didn't get any bigger for me than they show up in the post when I clicked on them.

Also do you have a picture of the barrel where it says the gauge, manufacturer etc. Good chance that is where the answer will be found.

Like with the Stevens SxS above they could be purchased under many diff names but all made by the same company.

cntryboy

Post by cntryboy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:58 am

Here is some more hopefully bigger pics. I am somewhat knowledgable about guns but have never come across these names as brands or anything so any info. is appreciated.http://www.flickr.com/photos/35345666@N ... 781439346/

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:09 am

I have Franchi Highlander sxs that is very nice and points quick. 26 inch barrels screw in chokes. Cost between $1200 to $1700 depending on engraving. I just picked up a Yildiz 410 sxs thats also a great shotgun for the money. They have a 20 and 12 screw in chokes for $500 new.
Don

ccavacini

Post by ccavacini » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:25 pm

I think if you find a Browning BSS 20, you would be satisfied.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Mon May 04, 2009 7:30 pm

I have a bunch of SxS guns, but the ones I use and like the most are an A.H. Fox A grade 16 gauge, and a Savage Fox 20 gauge.

If you can get your hands on an older gun that is in good shape, that would be a good way to go.