picking a shotgun

maverick351

picking a shotgun

Post by maverick351 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:49 pm

I am trying to decide what to get for a new shotgun. I have about 600 to spend and have been thinking about the new Remington 887 since I am not interested in the 870's of new (too many bad experiences with that model) but I am also seriously looking at an O/U but I have not seen any that shoot 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2 shells for ther versatility. Where in Az is a good place to look for used shotguns at the price I'm looking for.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: picking a shotgun

Post by BigShooter » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:00 pm

Do you mind if I ask why you want to be able to shoot 3 1/2 inch shells? I'm not aware of any O/Us that handle 3 1/2 inch shells. If you shoot magnum loads of 3 1/2 inch, the recoil of a semi-auto will feel a lot better on your shoulder than a pump gun.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

maverick351

Post by maverick351 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:19 pm

honestly the main reason is it has been what i use when i go turkey hunting, javelina or even waterfowl. it is not a requirement just a preference. if i could find a good deal on an o/u id be happy if it shot the other two. i just really like having the versatility

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:25 pm

I doubt you would want to shoot very many 3 1/2 inch shells out of an o/u. OUCH!

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:09 pm

American Arms use to make a O/U that was designed as a waterfowl gun. It shot 3.5" shells. It was a utilitarian, no frills gun, mat finished and oiled stock, sling studs equiped, one that you could use as a paddle if the need came up. I wouldn't want to carry it on a quail hunt. When you buy something that is that versatile you lose on many fronts. But if you can't afford more than one....
Tom

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:40 pm

There is a camo Browning Cenergy or Citori ?? advertised on http://www.KSL.com that says shoots 2 3/4 3 & 3 1/2 inch shells.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:11 pm

To me this is a simple answer: (although EXTREMELY biased)

if you are okay with having a pump gun, then buy a Benelli Nova. Shoots all shells 2 3/4----3 1/2" and has the comfortech and criochokes. The first model of the Nova's were excellent also. I had one and my lil brother had one and updated to the new Super Nova. They are "Simply Perfect" :lol:

IMO there is not a better pump gun ever made than the Nova.

Good luck and happy hunting! (for a gun)
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:59 am

After 45 years of hunting, it is my personal belief that you will take more game with a semi-auto of some sort. It just makes sense that with 60% less recoil and having to do nothing but pull the trigger and swing, you will be more successful. Most of my shooting/hunting was done with an 870, what I started with. 20 years ago I changed to a Benelli semi auto and have not looked back, have a 20 gauge that I really love. I personally have 3 of them and a Beretta o/u that I like a lot. For hunting though, I love the ability to have a 3rd shot. :D

Rarely do I not connect with it.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

Benny

Post by Benny » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:51 pm

Sorry, not to dilute your question Maverick, but you could easily get by with 3" shells for turkey. If you're thinking 12ga you can get by with 2 3/4 shells. I think you mentioned its a preference, and its nice to have a ton of shot and powder for taking the neck off a big tom...but the 3" federal loads among others in 20ga are becoming remarkably potent and tight. A 20ga O/U is what I'll be taking my turkey with this season.

Remember, we used to take geese with 2 3/4 shells in the good ol' days.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:01 am

Benny wrote: Remember, we used to take geese with 2 3/4 shells in the good ol' days.
In the good old days we were able to use lead in our 2 3/4 inch shells which is why so many folks shoot 3" steel shells for ducks and geese now-a-days. The only time I have used 3 1/2 inch steel in a 12 ga. was when I was pass shooting geese coming off a lake in the morning. I always used 3" steel over decoys in a field.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:22 pm

More to the point, though, O/U's come in 3" and 3" will do pretty much any job a shotgun is ever needed for.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Fri May 08, 2009 9:50 am

i'll second the Benelli comment...i have a super nova and i love it...i've probly put 6000 rounds throught that gun in under a year just shooting clays...well worth the money

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Sun May 10, 2009 9:01 pm

I agree with the sentiment that 3 1/2 shell are overkill. If you are really looking for extended range use some of the high density non-tox out there like Hevi-shot. Yes it's hard to swallow the price for a box, but I found my kill percentage went up so I used fewer shells. I only use these for goose hunting and absolutely love them. My favorite load is a 3 inch #4 Heavi-Shot, but the 2 3/4 works just as well (I can use the extra pellets). Are these shells necessary to shoot a goose, heck no, but I like being able to use one shell on a hunt to kill ducks, geese, or a rooster on the walk out without changing shells. Try that with the larger steel.

Another anectodal issue I have seen is the 3 1/2 shells seem to jam a more frequently for some. I have a buddy that has a tendency to short stroke his pump and use to have jamming issues frequently. He now shoots 3 inch without issue out of the same gun,

just my 2 cents, but I think worth a look.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Mon May 11, 2009 3:28 pm

I know a guy that loves his Stoeger 2000 and he can afford to hunt with anything. It will fall in your price range and takes 3 1/2 and it's a semi auto. I personally prefer a nice sxs but good luck with your search.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

adam.WI

Post by adam.WI » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:34 pm

pending on where you are from, academy sports in the south sells the yildiz o/u which from what I've heard and read they are great guns for the price. ($400 I believe) I plan to visit my uncle down in GA this fall and will take a look at them. Keep in mind that I don't have any personnel experience with these guns but have done some research. I would check them out.

I too agree with the 3 1/2 being overkill, but what ever trips your trigger.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:46 pm

3 1/2 are my preference for hunting turkeys, can you do it with less? Sure. Can you do it at 60 yds with less? I am not going to risk it. Over Kill? Maybe all depends on what you are doing with it. 3 1/2 with some 00 or 000 for Javelina? That would be AWESOME! You can get some pretty mean 3 1/2 for coyote hunting also, call'em blast'em with the scatter gun.

bmacinok

Post by bmacinok » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:35 am

I also use 3 1/2" for Turkey, and agree it might be a bit overkill, but when you get on the edge of the range it is nice to know you have that bit extra. However, if I ever have to take a second shot I always wonder how much I am flinching... :lol:

bm

maverick351

Post by maverick351 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:45 pm

Well thanks to all of those who have commented. I think I have made a choice. I am looking at the Bennelli Super Nova in the wetlands camo 12 ga. 28" since it will cover all aspects and takes all loads. It has come highly reccomended by many people I have spoken with. Please feel free to leave any comments should you have any. Thanks