anyone ever reblued a shotgun

chukarguy

anyone ever reblued a shotgun

Post by chukarguy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:55 am

I just purchased a used double barrel shotgun and the gun as a whole is in good shape. However there are some nicks in the blueing. I saw a kit on Cabela's website for reblueing and it had good reviews. I have never attempted anything similar to this and I was just wondering if anyone had experiences with this. I guess my real question is . . . . Is this a project that an average joe can handle or should this be left to the professionals? Thanks in advance for any insight.
You live by the river, you die by the river

nj gsp

Re: anyone ever reblued a shotgun

Post by nj gsp » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:30 pm

I've done some re-bluing, and it was OK for touch up, but was easy to see on close inspection. I did a browned finish on a .36 caliber muzzleloader I built which came out well. If you're looking for professional results, use a professional. A good gunsmith can either touch up the bluing, or re-blue the barrels - but a complete re-blue could cost up to $450.

BDBUzi

Post by BDBUzi » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:20 pm

Be careful about using a Hot Blue kit if it's an older double.
I've read that it can cause problems in the joint between the barrels.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:10 pm

Two types of joints have been used to hold SxS barrels together. If the joint is made of soft metal you shouldn't attempt hot bluing yourself and ... it will cost more to have a gunsmith blue it as well. A gunsmith will typically test the hardness of the joint material by exposing the joint in the area covered by the forearm. In this hidden area he will attempt to scratch or cut the joint metal with a scratch awl, pocket knife or similar object, making as small a mark as possible.

The difference between cold bluing and hot bluing is normally quite easy to spot as is the difference between a typical amateur job vs. a professional job. If all you're trying to do is to protect the metal by just doing touch-up, attempt cold bluing yourself. If you'd like it to look really nice after refinishing ... it's JMO ... use a professional. Unfortunately because of the high cost often older SxSs aren't worth re-bluing.

Mark
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:19 pm

I have done some rebluing using the cold blue process on several inexpensive guns and the other guys are right. It is ok for a touch up but you can definitely tell a big difference. The cold blue is a lot lighter in color than the hot blue you are going to get from a professional and it does look like an amatuer job so much that now when I want to protect an inexpensive gun I started using a product from Brownells called Aluma Hyde II which is more like a really tough spray on paint and protectant. I would never use this on a treasured older gun or anything of value but for a plain jane hunting gun it will protect against all but the strongest cleaners such as copper remover and it looks good and comes in a bake on and non bake finish. I would recommend taking it to a pro and paying the 150 or 200 dollars to have it done right if it is of value.

Prairie dog

Post by Prairie dog » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:31 pm

A pro job shouldn't run more than $150-200 ..Also, a barrel smith worth his salt will rust blue your barrels ,not hot blue, because the barrels are soldered together in most cases . Although few makers braze theirs.....

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:44 pm

Prairie dog wrote:A pro job shouldn't run more than $150-200
Prairie dog,

I PM'd you to get the name of a reputable smith you know that will reblue my old SxS for $150-$200.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:30 am

Here's a tip that might save you more money than taking directly to a gunsmith. If you can find a metal finishing shop in your area most of them should be able to handle it. I took a barrel to such a place to have re-blued about 10 years ago and they charged me $40 or so I believe for a single barrel. Nice deep finish. Might be worth checking out.

Prairie dog

Post by Prairie dog » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:24 pm

BigShooter wrote:
Prairie dog wrote:A pro job shouldn't run more than $150-200
Prairie dog,

I PM'd you to get the name of a reputable smith you know that will reblue my old SxS for $150-$200.

PM sent with name and number...

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:43 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNrX9LFzjUU

This wonder blue looks good man.
Soouthland's Duke of Hearts
Little Lady Maple

ImageEdit This PedigreeGet Your Free Pedigree Today! WEST TEXAS

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:01 pm

westexasrepublic wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNrX9LFzjUU

This wonder blue looks good man.
Anyone use it & can comment?

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:45 pm

I guess no one has, but it looks legit. I was sold. I baught the cleaner for now, ill let you know how it compares to the old Hoppes#9 ive been using...untill I need to blue a gun I wont be buying the other products...
Soouthland's Duke of Hearts
Little Lady Maple

ImageEdit This PedigreeGet Your Free Pedigree Today! WEST TEXAS

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:23 pm

After you posted I went online and looked it up and even watched the video on Youtube about it. I think it was youtube, anyway the next time I need to reblue a gun I am going to use it. Matter of fact I think my old 20 gauge side by side could use some rebluing real soon. Sounds like an excellent product. I really like the fact you do not have to completely strip down the old blueing and also the fact that the more you add to it the darker it gets. In the video it gave fantastic results. I do some amatuer gunsmithing and refinishing of metal and wood for myself, friends, and family and will definitely be using the product. Thanks for posting and the heads up on what seems to be top quality product.