.17 hmr

Mike Clutter

.17 hmr

Post by Mike Clutter » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:17 am

I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience with these. Thinking about getting one for varmints. I have shot a couple of them and like the round. Just wanted to hear of anybody shooting more than paper. I ruined a set of 22 targets @ 100 yards. I was impressed anyhow. A lot more fun than my 22's.
The hornady rounds i shot said 2550 fps @the muzzle and 1900 @ 100 yds that is screamin'.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: .17 hmr

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:20 am

I is a great 100 yard varmit gun does well even on coyotes

Ruger has a good one
savage not sure why but as soon as there is any build up bullets will tumble from them...ws pretty trippy we were shootig at the glo targets and the tumbling was very evident when you had the bullet profile hitting the paper

Sounds like an awesome chritmas present :lol:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:25 pm

Awesome varmit round, great for squirrel hunting, the only problem is shooting em longer than 100yds. and in real windy conditions, need some good ole kentucky windage use then.

JMO,
Chip

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:46 pm

How is the price of the ammo? I'd heard it got very expensive at one point.

I used to have a .22 K-Hornet that I really liked and, later, a .222. I might build one again for my son. Then, he'd have to load his own shells to have anything to shoot. That's what my dad did with me, and I learned a lot from it.

Mike Clutter

Post by Mike Clutter » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:52 pm

Spent the afternoon sighting in and I'll try to get pics of groups @100 yards. This thing is a blast. got some hollow points today too. We scared a rabbit out of the grove while I was sighting he didn't know what hit em. K9, yotes really? Getting some snow right now. Maybe I'll try it in the morning. I'm thinkin' prairie rats in SD this next fall.
Here's a link this is the one I got, put a 3x9 on it for now. we'll see.http://www.savagearms.com/93r17BTVS.htm

Benny

Post by Benny » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:55 pm

.17 hmr is one of my favorite rounds...period. It is a bit more expensive than the old .22, but worth every penny!

My Marlin .17 has been a danger to many ground squirrels. Got my first shot through the eye this last summer, and I still have no idea how. A normal head shot usually results in much more gruesome results...

Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

brotherbill3

Post by brotherbill3 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:49 pm

I haven't shot one myself ... (yet) ... I'd say the .17HMR is probably closer to the .22 mag (WMR) than the .22 LR ...

Personally, I'll stick w/ the .22 LR, its just too cheap to shoot A LOT of ammo through. And when I get to go shoot ... its usually half a brick (minimum) through it at one time ... but all of these 3 rounds - plus the .17Mach 2 (or M2) ... are good rounds ...

A good place for a fairly objective comparison is:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2l_rimfire.htm
Chuck Hawks has a bunch of useful info on the whole website. This is from the 'free' area - there maybe more info in the other area which is for 'members' via subscribtion ... I haven't joined yet but I want to at some point ...

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:31 pm

I bought one a couple years ago and really like it. I went with the CZ 453 varmint model with the set trigger. Great for varmints and small game but coyotes is pushing it, even with the 20 grain ammo. I would much rather shoot a 22 mag with 34-40 grain ammo, or better yet my 223. Here is the best forum for rim fires.http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

Mike Clutter

Post by Mike Clutter » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:18 pm

Got it sighted in this morning and 5 shot groups the size of a quarter, 100yds. Not too shabby. Put a bipod on it and look out prairie dogs. I'll stick with 22-250 for the yotes though. Put almost 100 rounds and no tumble issues,yet.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:39 pm

One of the guys that works for us has a 17 and with in a 100 yards that 17 has dropped quite a few yotes
i wouldn't use it for any further though :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Benelliwaterfowler

Post by Benelliwaterfowler » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:53 pm

I also shoot a cz 17 hmr,does a number on squirells close up.Furthest shot on a ground hog was 125 yards.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:23 pm

I have a Savage .17 hmr, it is an awesome gun.
Great fun to shoot and accurate as heck.
I have been shooting the CCI V-Max rounds out of mine with great results.
Personally I don't think it is enough for coyottes, but for ground hogs and other varmits it is a great round.

Mav.....

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/game/default.htm
practice your varmit hunting :)
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

Benny

Post by Benny » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:47 pm

Also a big fan of the V-max. Squirrel heaven must be overflowing since its invention.
I would also offer that the .17 is not a very humane way of dealing with coyotes...although I can imagine that some folks could care less (a good coyote's a dead coyote and all that). It shoots flat at a 100 yards but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will provide the shock power or knock down power needed to plant a coyote on the ground. I was in NE Oregon working this summer and I watched a co-worker plant one in a coyotes shoulder. It ran off and we found it about a 1/2 mile over the bluff squirming and flopping and making the worst noise I've ever heard. Everyone will laugh but until you've seen it you just can't imagine how crappy of a deal that was. Besides, a .223 or a .22-250 is a great gun to have in the quiver.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:49 pm

The ones our guys get which again they are less then 100 yards all have gone down in less then 30 feet but then heart and head shots make it quick ....we don't want them having a chance to survive..they are a serious PITA where we are at

Mike Clutter

Post by Mike Clutter » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:45 pm

We got some good snow today and the wind was nil, so I watched for some rabbits this afternoon. No photos but one eye shot and two base of the ear shots. Instant end, 100 yards or less and you can put this round anywhere you want. Dead nuts on. The heavy barrel is a huge asset no doubt. I see a bi-pod and a gross of ammo in the near future.

baby backstraps w/butter and garlic in a cast iron skillet, make a little gravy and rice. lookout!!

Scott

Post by Scott » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:53 am

I have a savage .17 hmr. It shoots awesome. The furthest I have shot a coyote is 76 yards but like Knine mentioned earlier the either fall in their tracks or go less than 30'. I have never taken a head shot mine have all been heart/lung shots. As for shooting squirrels make sure its a head shot or you won't have much to eat. They are lots of fun. The last case of 500 I got cost about $10 for 50 rounds. I am not sure I would attempt taking a coyote any further than a 100yds.

Mike Clutter

Post by Mike Clutter » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:49 pm

We were just in SD and asked a few guys if they are using .17 on coyotes and they said heck yes!! 100yds or less=dead yote. the weather this week is supposed to be conducive to yote hunting spose I'll have to give it a try.
Last edited by pear on Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fowl Language