IM
5%
Other
2%

Total votes: 41

JFS

What choke for pen raised birds

Post by JFS » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:37 am

I use 2.75 1 oz 12 guage loads in my AL391 (so only 1 choke). I usually use a modified choke when hunting, but I'm also doing some training with pen raised birds and looking to do some NSTRA events, which will also be pen raised birds. Most pen raised birds aren't great fliers. In fact some of them need a good drop kick to get moving, so most shots aren't that long. I was planning to switch to a IC, since there is no R in STR if I miss. Just wondering what everyone else does.

romeo212000

Re: What choke for pen raised birds

Post by romeo212000 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:13 pm

I hunt and trial with improved and shoot penraised birds in training with Skeet.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:15 pm

i would go with a Louisville Slugger, you could knock most of them down easily with that :)

seriously though i would open it up, you will be right on top of them when they get up and they are not fast.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:39 pm

cylinder bore, point and spray

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:10 pm

I generally keep an IC and a Mod in my O/U. IC is the first shot, Mod is the trailing shot. I don't really worry about chokes that much.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:13 am

I shoot Skeet in my BPS and use 1 1/8 oz fo 7 1/2s in a sporting clays shell. I keep some #6s in the truck for windy, poor shooting, or spooky bird days. In the sxs I shoot Skeet and Mod with the 7 1/2s in the first and 6s in the second. I know guys that use spreader chokes and Nitromag 6s. Their thinking is that Quail aren't that hard to kill usually so a couple big pellets will do the trick.

Most birds are safe from me past 40 yards so a thicker, wider pattern to ensure a hit inside that is my best bet. I could use 8s for quail, 7 1/2s for grouse and 6s for pheasants but prefer to just pick one shell for consistency and use it for everything and the medium load of 7 1/2s has worked for me.
Colin

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:26 pm

I just wrap by index finger and thumb around the neck, squeeze & spin 'em a little... :D

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I pretty much use Skeet/IC for everything wild or not, although with a fixed choke gun IC/Mod is fine. You can always use spreader loads if you need less choke.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:35 pm

I never have time to ask where they were raised so I just use IC most of the time for all of the birds.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:07 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I never have time to ask where they were raised so I just use IC most of the time for all of the birds.

Ezzy
Do wild quail fly when they are wet? Pen raised birds sure don't. Hunting pen raised quail in the rain is like hunting potatoes.

stonegripper

Post by stonegripper » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:20 pm

Living where I do, I don't have to hunt many pen raised birds. When we do (once or twice a year), I use an old O/U that is skeet over skeet with #9's. Perfect gun/shot for that kind of bird.

Bowbldr

Post by Bowbldr » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:37 pm

For pen raised birds use a 66" longbow with flu flu arrows. Any weight you can comfortably pull. Use a judo point if you want a little extra choke.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:09 pm

If you are hunting with a pointer what is the difference in distance when you kick them up? My leg and foot are the same length when I kick out any bird and I don't shoot the birds that are flushed so they all are the same distance away when you shoot.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:50 pm

I shot some bobs in Iowa a few years back in a torrential downpour and they got out of dodge FAST and furious,they put 30 yards between me and them in the blink of an eye.I'm 99% positive they were the real deal,public land hunt.
nj gsp wrote:
Do wild quail fly when they are wet? Pen raised birds sure don't. Hunting pen raised quail in the rain is like hunting potatoes.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:12 am

I shot pen raised chukars a couple weeks ago with a I/C and Mod,3 of five fell dead with the first shot of 1/2 oz 6's from a 2 1/2 inch .410.Longest shot was approximately 30 yards.I've gunned pen raised pheasants for a fellow with a clumber spaniel pup with my 20 and 7 1/2's through the I/C choke.When I played NSTRA a few times I used a 20 with I/C and Mod.