Shotgun Recommendations

Karen
GDF Junkie

Shotgun Recommendations

Post by Karen » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:57 am

I had a Beretta Ureka 20 gauge, 26" barrel shotgun, but when I broke my shoulder last year, the idea of the recoil into my shoulder was enough for me to sell it.

Now I need to replace it while I still can. Looking for suggestions for something fairly lightweight, not too expensive, and with minimal recoil, yet something my son, who is 16 yrs old, can learn to shoot also. Suggestions?
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Ditch__Parrot

Re: Shotgun Recommendations

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:09 am

I have a friend who shoots a Franchi 48. He swears it has the lightest recoil of any shotgun he has ever shot. It is definately one of the lightest (weight) out there. You might even think about the 28 GA. Price is subjective. It's pricey to me but at under a grand for most models it's cheaper than alot of shotguns.

http://www.franchiusa.com/firearms/48al.php#showhide

mik

Post by mik » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:23 pm

I'll second the vote on the FRANCHI....I've owned an AL 48, 20 gauge, 26"barrel for 6 years and couldn't be happier.....I've gone 3 for 5 on Turkeys with it (2 not dead were operator error:-) ), have gotten numerous pheasant, grouse, and woodcock....tried and true "Browning System" with spring operation rather than a gas operation....Absolutely no issues....I paid less than $600 for mine...love the lightweight when out in the field....recoil isn't an issue, not noticeable to me....Oh and it tips the bathroom scale at 6.5lbs :lol:

jbraun

Post by jbraun » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:21 pm

I got an 1100 sporting model in 28 ga this year and am very happy with it. It is the first 28 ga I have owned and if I had known they are such light recoiling guns and a joy to shoot I would have gotten one long ago. This model is probably a little heavier than most 28's but is still not bad. Downside is the shells are pricey.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:29 pm

I would have recommended a Franchi also, as I got my wife a 720 and it's a very nice gun. However, I've been having such a bad experience trying to get a replacement stock for it that at this point I wouldn't recommend Franchi at all.

It's been over two months since I placed an order for a replacement part for a model in current production. I've sent them e-mails, which have gone unanswered, and tried to call them but I can't get a live person on the phone. My dealer tells me they are back ordered with no expectation of a delivery date. :(

I was thinking of buying a Renaissance O/U, but there's no way I'd buy one now.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:22 am

Karen wrote:I had a Beretta Ureka 20 gauge, 26" barrel shotgun, but when I broke my shoulder last year, the idea of the recoil into my shoulder was enough for me to sell it.

Now I need to replace it while I still can. Looking for suggestions for something fairly lightweight, not too expensive, and with minimal recoil, yet something my son, who is 16 yrs old, can learn to shoot also. Suggestions?
Were you happy with the Urika when you had it? That would be my recommendation if you were. In most cases a 20 gauge will serve you the best. I say this as you'll have more choices of ammo and it will be easier to find than with the 28 or 410. If you can handle a 12 using light loads that will work too.

As far as felt recoil, 2 things (Actually a third but..). Weight of the gun and the load you are using will determine much of the recoil you feel. Use a lighter load if recoil bothers you. Then there is gun fit, get one that is not too long in the stock.

When you find your gun get yourself a quality aftermarket recoil pad. They can make a big difference. A few of the better ones are Kick-eez, HiViz XCOIL and Limbsaver just to name a few. Some of these have pre-fit models with no grinding needed to fit. Others may need to be installed by a gunsmith.

I can attest to the fact they work very well as I have a couple of them myself.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:21 am

I'm recoil sensitive, I can shoot 12's and 20's but prefer less recoil, therefore my "go too" gun is a 28ga SXS stuffed with low recoil, low velocity shells from RST.
Tom

h20fwlkillr

Post by h20fwlkillr » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:16 pm

Might look at a Charles Daly 20 ga. I bought one for my 10 yo son this year and he can handle it well. It is light for a pump with little recoil. Think it ran around $220.
ImageImageImageImage

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:57 pm

Karen,

At the risk of repeating what's been said many times on this board: perceived recoil is affected by a number of factors with some of the more significant being the gun weight, type of action , and foot pounds of pressure produced. Generalities: a lighter gun absorbs less of the recoil, more energy is absorbed by a semi-automatic to operate the action, gas operated semi-automatics use (absorb) slightly more energy than mechanically (spring or torsion) operated semi-automatics (most won't feel the difference) and the bigger the gauge/heavier the load the more foot pounds of energy that will be produced. As mentioned before certain brands of recoil pads substantially reduce the felt recoil of any gun. Some guns have energy absorption mechanisms installed in their stocks at the factory.

If recoil is a concern avoid a SxS, O/U, pump or especially a single shot. If light weight is a concern, look for a used Franchi AL 48, Benelli Monte or M1, Beretta 303, 390, 391 or Browning Gold Fusion in 20 ga., add one of the recoil pads previously listed and use light loads. I haven't kept up with Remington and don't know if they are now producing a lighter semi-automatic in 20 ga. Buy the gun that fits both you and your son the best. There are still older Beretta semi-automatic 303s and 390s available for less money than the 391 Urika you had. Also consider using a shooting vest that has a recoil absorbing pad (usually gel) built into the shooting shoulder of the garment.

A .410 really doesn't have enough of a pellet pattern for most shooters to do well with and shells are more expensive and less readily available for a 28 ga.

1) Start with a BB or pellet gun, have your son take you out, get you into birds, make sure your prey drive is going strong .... then when your mind is on nothing but birds ... fire that BB or pellet gun. Ice down your shoulder & take a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (if you can tolerate them). Do this dozens of times. 2) Move up to a .22 with bird shot. Repeat. 3) Matriculate to a .410, repeat 4) When your son no longer notices any flinching at all go for the 20 ga. semi-auto !!! :D 8) :D

Good luck !

JMHO,

Mark
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:43 am

I'm a big fan of the Remington 1100 Special Sporting in 28 ga. That's what I started my kids on. Hits them like a 20 and kicks like a 410.

I've never had any problems finding 28 ga shells. I also cut into the extra cost by reloading them.

I have shot that little shotgun like a pistol with my right hand while holding a bucking GSP in the left.

Greg J.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:47 pm

Greg,

16 & 28 ga. shells are definitely less available in more out of the way places and more expensive to purchase than 20 or 12 ga. I haven't reloaded for a while but for you guys that do .... starting from scratch, with the cost of decent equipment, say a MEC not a Pons/Warren (and not a Lee handloader) and saying you have free time and your own free time has no value ... approximately how many 28 ga. shells would you have to re-load before you'd break even on your investment vs. buying 20 ga. shells?

Mark

P.S. Greg, would you recommend a 28 ga. for wild pheasants in the Dakotas?
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

gotblika

Post by gotblika » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:53 pm

Benelli Ultralight 12 ga. with limbsaver. Recoil is less than a 48al.

sambuca

Post by sambuca » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:11 pm

Karen,

We are in the same boat. I would like to find a good shotgun for my wife. I want her to enjoy shooting and also carrying the gun. I don't even notice a recoil of the 20 ga browning O/U I shoot but I recognize that it can feel very different for her.

Some guns are just too heavy for her to carry for hours on end. The ultralights seem to come in bigger gauges. I'm still debating if 28 Ga is too little shot for a less experienced shooter and might hurt her confidence.

Let me know if you find something that works well for you and your son.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:55 pm

I thought you had sold that Berretta a while back before the shoulder thing.
The gun you had is as good as any I have ever shot for low felt recoil.
It is hard to beat a berretta, but like anything else fit is most important as a poorly fitted gun will hit you harder then one that fit properly.

Mav....
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:22 pm

You might want to try the Beretta 3901 target RL. It has an adjustable length of pull and is designed for women or smaller stature shooters. It is designed so the weight is closer into the body making it easier for women. I think shooting light loads in a 12 gauge may serve you better than shooting 20 gauge loads.

The softest shooter out there is believed to be the Franchi AL48 if I recall correctly.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:02 am

Blaze's breeder won a Franchi 28 gauge and now swears by it, although I've also heard that you should stay away from a 28 gauge if you're not a pretty good shot. I think my best bet is probably to go to the range and try several. Hopefully I can try out many of the suggested shotguns above. Maybe the Beretta just didn't fit me properly.

Thanks everyone!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:40 pm

You won't find nearly the difference between a 28 ga and a 12 than you would a 410 and anything else.

The last year I shot skeet, I carried a 98.83 average in the 28 on 2000 targets. I'd had two windier days shooting the 20 and 12 and my averages that year were actually lower.

The 28 is very capable as long as you're hunting quail and similar. If you start shooting big, tough late season pheasants, it's goign to be too light.

The issue with the 28 is the availability and cost of shells. I've never had a problem there.

Greg J.

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:21 pm

Karen, it's not the gun that is your problem...it's the gauge. Get a 28 auto that fits you and you'll be fine. As stated earlier, the franchi is a good one. Also the remington 1100 in 28. I carry a 28 95% of the time in the field. Over pointing dogs it's all you need to knock 'em down. Don't try to cram 1 oz. of shot down the tube and make sure you pattern some different shells. I mostly hunt quail but a 3/4 oz. of copper plated 7 1/2 at 1300 fps will bring even those big birds right down. The only time I feel the need for more gun is late season wild roosters. WDO
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 28g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 20g 28"
Browning BPS Synthetic 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS 12g 3" 22" cant. fully rifled