Best Entry Level Shotgun???

ESGuy31

Best Entry Level Shotgun???

Post by ESGuy31 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:40 am

My dad pretty much gave me the... You need to buy your own crap speech over the weekend....

With that said I am looking for some suggestions on what would be a good entry level shotgun for under $1,000. I just need something that will get me through a couple of years until I upgrade to a better gun. The main birds I will be hunting are Pheasants and Grouse.

Any info will be greatly apprecaiated!!

GSPVIZ

Re: Best Entry Level Shotgun???

Post by GSPVIZ » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:08 am

Just a warning as I have asked this question in the past; You will get a wide range of answers so you might want to narrow down your requirements so the group can give you their best opinions. :D

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:06 pm

I bought a Remington 870 express, 12 ga., some years ago with the same thing in mind and liked it so much that I never "traded up." Earlier this year I read an article that stated that it was the second most shootable shotgun around. I also have a Mossberg 500 20ga. that does just fine on pheasant, grouse, chuckar and quail. 20 years and still working like a pro. so is the Remington.
You can get both for under $400.

ESGuy31

Post by ESGuy31 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:19 pm

I realize I am going to get a wide range of replies... I guess I looked at it as an educational post that will help me learn about what is all out there.

ESGuy31

Post by ESGuy31 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:20 pm

I guess one main thing for me is going to be the fact that I need a "lefty"... I don't know if some brands are easier to get than others for being left handed or not.

brav302

Post by brav302 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:43 pm

Do you want a pump, over/under, autoloader? What gauge? What are you going to be hunting? All these things will help people give you a better answer. If I was looking for a upland bird gun, and could only have one, with a 1000 bucs to spend I would buy an over/under in 12 gauge. There are really nice guns that can be found for that. As an example I bought my Browning Citori brand new for 950.00.

omega58

Post by omega58 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:25 pm

Here are some to consider from a fellow lefty:

Pumps
either Mossberg or Browning. . .thumb tang safety on both, Browning has bottom eject (150-500)

Semi-auto (I have these)
Mossberg again has thumb tang safety 930 ($339)semi is a great autoloader for all around. . .3 1/2" Magnam 935 ($489)is a great waterfowl/turkey
Benelli Montefeltro (used $500) Benelli SBE1 camo used ($839), both left-handed models

Remington also has some left-handed semis

O/Us. . .most Beretta will be out as they are normally cast for righties. . .some Brownings are neutral cast. . .I own Verona shotguns and love them. . .now sold as the Savage Milano for around $1000-$1400.

If I were you and wanted new, I would check out the Mossberg 930, very good shotgun for the money. . .should be able to find one for $350 or a combo for $400-$450. Shoulder guns and see what feels good. . .you can also reverse the safety on some guns. . .you don't want to mess around with having to push the safety the wrong way and then shoot a grouse. . .grouse go bye-bye.

ESGuy31

Post by ESGuy31 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:37 pm

Sorry once again...

Would like a 12 gauge auto or o/u... 85% of the use is going to be used for hunting. I will shoot trap every once in a while but, wont have that be a factor in deciding what gun to buy. Basically, just a nice gun to use for the field.

The gun I have been shooting is my Dad's o/u which I like, but he thinks I should maybe get an Auto....

brav302

Post by brav302 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:16 pm

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

Click on the download catalog on top right of page. They have several very nice guns on sale that meet your needs and are in your price range. I'm partial to Over/Unders.

jmas

Post by jmas » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:49 pm

I shoot left handed as well. The first shotgun I bought was a mossberg 835 ulti mag right handed. I hunted everything with that gun for 10 years or so, no problems with it being a right handed gun, as the safety was thumb operated. A few years ago I bought a benelli SBE right handed, I had the safety reversed and love it. The mossberg would be less than 500.00 and the SBE used would be under 1000.00.

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:57 am

You can get a Remmington 11-87 12ga semi auto. If you are looking for a 12ga they are a dime a dozen on www.gunbroker.com Find one you like in your area or being shipped by and FFL and have it shipped to an FFL in your town. This will enable you to get one that is a couple years old before they stopped making the wood unless you want the black then just order a new one.

jbraun

Post by jbraun » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:00 pm

You will find lots of good choices out there. From your description of what you want, a field/clays gun that you can use for a few years then get something else, I would suggest that you look for something used. If you do much hunting you will get a few marks or scratches, so why not save yourself the money and buy something that already has a few hunting marks.

Also for $1000 you can get a pretty nice field gun so you may want to give your idea of trading up a little more thought. If trading up is really your plan then I would look for something like a used semi-auto in the $350-$500 range from one of the more popular manufacturers. You could use it then either keep it for a backup when you upgrade or sell it and get all or most of your money back.

If you move toward the upper end of your budget you can get a pretty nice O/U in the $800-$1000 range that you could be very happy with especially if this will be mainly a hunting gun that does not see a lot of high volume shooting on clays. It would be tough to find a new "B" gun in that price range but you will see a few very nice used ones. I have a Franchi alcione that I am very happy with and I still see a few new ones around in this price range. I do not have personal experience with the Veronas but have seen a few and they are nice looking guns and I am sure there are others that fit that price range. Go to a shop that has a nice selection and handle a few O/Us and see if you find something you like then go to one of the online sites like gunbroker and see what is out there in your price range and you may not need to trade up at all.

Shopping for a new gun with $1000 to spend. I am envious. Good luck.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:58 pm

If you shoot lefty I would probably avoid an auto - otherwise the Rem 1100 or 11-87 and beretta 3901 series. For reasonably priced o/u's, I'd go with Lanber 2087, Verona 501, and Franchi or maybe CZ.

cpepin

Post by cpepin » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:40 pm

I currently have a Win 1300 12ga pump, a Rem 20 ga model 11 auto (browning patent), and a New England firearms 20 ga. breaking breach single shot.

More often than not the New England firearms comes out of the closet to go hunting. The best new 80.00 walmart gun I ever bought. Ok, its the only one. Its my first gun I bought and been my favorite, lol:

This season I'm using my grandfathers Win Model 21 side by side that I inherited. I dont know if that NEF 20 ga will come back out to play anytime soon now that I have the model 21.... 8) Anyone looking for a good gun on the cheap I recomend that one. Most importantly what you buy IMO Make sure its comfortable, shoulders nicely, and make sure its something you wont regret dragging through the woods or field all day.

Gar-Dog good luck on your NH hunt this weekend. Save some birds for me, I'm heading to camp the 15th...

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:46 am

Most pumps or autos have zero cast to the stock, and thus can be shot right or left hand. However, the majority of double gun stocks are cast off for a right hand shooter. A lefty should be using a gun that is cast on. This better positions your eye over the barrel. I'm left eye dominant, and have tried to shoot my doubles lefty but I can't hit squat that way - mostly because of the cast of the stock.

Remember, the most important thing is fit - if the gun doesn't fit you, you wont hit your target consistently, and you will end up thinking you are either a lousy shot or the gun is no good. Make sure you buy a gun that fits, but if you find one you really like, a good gunsmith can fit the gun to you.

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:22 am

Can't beat the Beretta 391. Just change the safety to LH. The gun comes with shims to cast the stock if you have the need to do that.

http://www.beretta.com/index.aspx?m=74&idc=1&ids=34
http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_re ... index.html
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 28g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 20g 28"
Browning BPS Synthetic 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS 12g 3" 22" cant. fully rifled

Firstdog

Post by Firstdog » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:56 am

I picked up a 20ga wingmaster for my wife for dove hunting this year. It is now the only gun I shoot. For some reason I shoot and handle he lighter shotgun easier. I'm looking to buy myself one. We have a shop here the specifically deals with second hand guns. we picked it up for 300 in perfect condition.