am i being realistic?

tmoneysju

am i being realistic?

Post by tmoneysju » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:16 pm

so since I'm new to all aspects of upland hunting/bird dog training/shooting, I've read a hundred threads on different forums regarding purchasing a first gun. I'm looking to buy my first shotgun this fall. I have a baseline idea of some different recommendations, but I'll list my wishes first and ask my question at the end:

1. use for primarily upland hunting - grouse, pheasant
2. secondary use for sporting clay shooting for practice not competition
3. would prefer an o/u since i have shot both a semi and an o/u and liked the look, feel, action of the o/u better but I am not completely tied to a O/U

Is it realistic to think that I can find a gun in above average condition that meets these criteria that will be a reliable, long lasting starter/newbie shotgun for under $1000?
I'm usually inclined to look used first in a lot of my purchases so I'm definitely open to that as well. I'll be taking a ride to Cabela's tomorrow with the wife so I plan to check out their selection but was just curious what you guys think

Kevin

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Re: am i being realistic?

Post by phermes1 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:34 pm

Tough, but doable, but doubtful that you'd find such a deal in a store, at least for an o/u.

I have a 12 ga Beretta Whitewing o/u with 28" barrels. In the field, it's great. Not too heavy, looks nice, shoots where I point it, and has held up well.
It's OK for trap and 5-stand. My dad has some longer guns which I find are much better suited for trap. For shooting for practice or for the fun of it, it's been fine, though.

Incidentally, the Whitewing isn't made anymore. It retailed a few years ago for about $1,200. I bought mine used off of Gunbroker for $800 about 3-4 years ago. It was BARELY used, so I thought I got a pretty good deal.

Some folks have had good luck with the smaller brands made in Turkey, Russia, etc. I have no experience with them personally, but fwiw, a friend of mine bought a couple $350 o/u's like that about 2 years ago. He just had both of them break on him in the past few months. Others certainly disagree, but I really believe that there's something to be said about sticking with the major gun makers.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

The Zephyr

Post by The Zephyr » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:54 pm

tmoneysju,

Yes, you should be able to find a used o/u shotgun in good condition for less than $1,000. Stick to the three B’s, Browning, Benelli, & Beretta, also Ruger makes a decent entry-level gun. The entry level Citoris are usually a good deal with little wear. I purchased mine with ten boxes of copper coated sixes for $700.
Definitely try shouldering the different guns and see what fits you the best. I prefer a 28” barrel but that is a personal preference.
As an endnote Cabela’s pricing seems to be all over the place depending on which store you go to. The best alternative is a casual sale between individuals. Check the local gun clubs in your area for members with guns for sale.

Good luck and good shooting,

John L.
FC AFC Fieldmaster's Montauk Zephyr
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=324

Fieldmaster's Oregon Road Phosphorus
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2833

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:33 pm

good info guys, thanks

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:36 pm

The ONLY over and unders I would buy NEW under $1,000 are made by Lanber, Franchi, and Verona. Next step up are the "fords and chevys" - i.e. Beretta, Browning. You could get some of them used for $1,000. CDNN has some sick deals going right now on some Brownings. If you can go to $1200 you got a deal. A friend of mine got a Citori 525 Field for $1699 at cabelas last weekend.

Get a 12 gauge with 28in barrels, and one that weighs at least 7 pounds, and you can do ANYTHING you mention you want to do well.

Edit: I might add Fausti to the list of a budget o/u - and cabelas will have them. a lot of people think highly of them. I have heard one negative thing related to the hinge wearing out under high-volume shooting. If you are under 1,000 rounds or so per year you are probably fine with it.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:16 am

I wouldn't hesitate to reccommend a CZ O/U or SXS,I recently bought a woodcock in .410 for skeet shooting,I've got 30 boxes thru it without a glitch,Another fellow I shoot with has had a pair of them in SXS 28 and .410 and he shoots ALOT(ten to 15 boxes a week) He's owned them for 3 years and hasn't had a problem either.I know one thing the .410 I bought is very fun to shoot and I've not been handicapped by it's size in my scores(20+).All that said I'm a browning guy thru and thru but this little gun is very fun to shoot and handles and feels like a much more expensive shooter and I'm planning on using it for some quail hunts after seeing how well I actually can shoot it.

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:23 am

Wildweeds wrote:I wouldn't hesitate to reccommend a CZ O/U or SXS,I recently bought a woodcock in .410 for skeet shooting,I've got 30 boxes thru it without a glitch,
A friend of mine has a CZ O/U and loves it. SHoots great and handles well... he recommends it to everyone...

jbraun

Post by jbraun » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:07 pm

You can still find a few new franchi alciones around for under $1000 and they would be a good choice.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:23 pm

No one has mentioned Semi's. Though I'm not a semi-auto guy if you are into them there are many options available. Benelis (SP?) can be found for 7 to 9 hundred. IMO A new or used Remington 1100 would be well under the 1,000 mark and a very reliable gun (if used depending on the condition of course) and come in all kinds of configureations. As for O/U If you keep an eye out you can also find used Citories, for around and under the $1,000 mark. Beratta use to make an O/U model "S-55", you can find those used for 6 to 8 hundred. Gun shows are good and the web sites are also good places to try if you know someone with an FFL.
Tom

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:28 pm

Stay with one of the B guns. Even if you have to over your budget. You will be very glad you didn't cave in to a lesser gun just to save a few bucks. WDO
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 28g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 20g 28"
Browning BPS Synthetic 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS 12g 3" 22" cant. fully rifled

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:34 am

whitedogone wrote:Stay with one of the B guns. Even if you have to over your budget. You will be very glad you didn't cave in to a lesser gun just to save a few bucks. WDO
Good advice. Don't go shorter than 28" bbls either.

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:25 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. After listening on here and talking to some people that I know who are experienced, I have pretty much decided to narrow my search to a used browning or beretta 12 or 20 ga O/U. I'm keeing an eye on some online forums as well as locally. I have the ability to be patient so we'll see what happens. As far as the barrel length, 28" is the consistent advice I've been given as well. I noticed this listing this morning before I realized it was a 26" barrel

http://www.gunsamerica.com/981450624/Gu ... _Gauge.htm

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:58 pm

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:29 pm

Here's a 686 Black Onyx, 12g/28" for $999:
http://gunroom.shootingsportsman.com/listing/1791

For an upland gun, I prefer a 12 gauge in 26" barrels as it helps to keep the weight down, a bit. In a 20, I want the 28" barrels because I want a bit of extra weight out front in a light gun. That's just what I prefer.

FWIW,
Dave

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:03 pm

tmoneysju wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. After listening on here and talking to some people that I know who are experienced, I have pretty much decided to narrow my search to a used browning or beretta 12 or 20 ga O/U. I'm keeing an eye on some online forums as well as locally. I have the ability to be patient so we'll see what happens. As far as the barrel length, 28" is the consistent advice I've been given as well. I noticed this listing this morning before I realized it was a 26" barrel

Screw the extra 2 inches. Buy that gun!! It almost seems to be too good to be true. As an upland hunter in the woods of PA, the 26 is just fine. The 28 is a more "all rounder" but at the end of the day it is not that big of a deal. Most used "B" guns under $1000 are some old beater gun. Aside from this gun above, which is unbelievable, you will probably need to spend more like $1200-$1400 to get a gun you'd be proud of.

The one above, if you do not like it you WOULD NOT take a hit selling it. You might make money.

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:59 am

Interesting, it definitely looked like a great deal, 1000, free shipping, good brand, over under, fits pretty much all of my requirements. I'll have to mull it over this weekend! haha
gar-dog wrote:
tmoneysju wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. After listening on here and talking to some people that I know who are experienced, I have pretty much decided to narrow my search to a used browning or beretta 12 or 20 ga O/U. I'm keeing an eye on some online forums as well as locally. I have the ability to be patient so we'll see what happens. As far as the barrel length, 28" is the consistent advice I've been given as well. I noticed this listing this morning before I realized it was a 26" barrel

Screw the extra 2 inches. Buy that gun!! It almost seems to be too good to be true. As an upland hunter in the woods of PA, the 26 is just fine. The 28 is a more "all rounder" but at the end of the day it is not that big of a deal. Most used "B" guns under $1000 are some old beater gun. Aside from this gun above, which is unbelievable, you will probably need to spend more like $1200-$1400 to get a gun you'd be proud of.

The one above, if you do not like it you WOULD NOT take a hit selling it. You might make money.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:16 am

If it is a new seller, try to get some "intel" on him. name/address etc and see that that all checks out. He is in MD if i recall, depending on what part maybe you could drive and do a face to face transaction.

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:20 am

you've echoed my thoughts exactly, i sent him a msg on there asking if I can swing down in person to "look at the gun". I'd feel more comfortable about spending that kind of money if I were able to meet him.

gar-dog wrote:If it is a new seller, try to get some "intel" on him. name/address etc and see that that all checks out. He is in MD if i recall, depending on what part maybe you could drive and do a face to face transaction.

grousehunter08

Post by grousehunter08 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:14 pm

In my opinion if your willing to spend $1000 on a lesser quality gun why not spend $200-$400 more and get the gun you really want, and that will last a life time

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:20 pm

grousehunter08 wrote:In my opinion if your willing to spend $1000 on a lesser quality gun why not spend $200-$400 more and get the gun you really want, and that will last a life time

What he said.....