Lead Prices Back Down

gar-dog

Lead Prices Back Down

Post by gar-dog » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:08 am

There will be a time lag before we really see this in the stores, but lead has come down dramatically from its peak. Prices started going up in September and have stayed high into March, where they started falling. On the price graph, note that 4/7/08 means 7/4/08 to us.

Price is dollars per metric ton. You can see it actually quadrupled - owing mostly to car sales (batteries) in the new emerging China. It is still double what it was over a year ago.

rstbkt69

Re: Lead Prices Back Down

Post by rstbkt69 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:43 pm

I wonder how long till the new price will start to trickle down to us. Wil the high cost shot remain priced as is till it is all sold or will it get marked down. I bet it will remain high till the current stock is sold.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:45 pm

Your probably right. They did have to pay those inflated prices to stock them, I bet they won't take a hit on them.

jackmcmanus21

Post by jackmcmanus21 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:05 am

it'll be a while before the prices come down if ever. If they can get away with selling them higher, they will.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:44 am

Who do you refer to as "they" when you say that they won't be "taking a hit"? Let's not forget the difference between manufacturing costs and profits, and the difference between wholesale and retail prices. A slight price drop wouldn't be out of the question. That is, if demand waned as a result of the higher prices in the first place.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:19 am

Anyway, most heavy users of commodities hedge the cost of their supply for months or longer in advance by buying forward contracts. Anyway, retail prices are typically "upward slippery" and "downward sticky" as they say, but prices should come down some.
G

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:44 pm

Based upon the shot shell shock thread, and what I have been seeing elsewhere, shell prices are trickling back down to levels that don't break te bank.

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:28 am

I just bought a MEC 600 JR Mark 5 and hope to start accumulating components in the near future. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if the price of lead continues to go down. :D
LORI
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=966

"It is not a mark of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti

Addict

Post by Addict » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:29 pm

A 25 pound bag of shot is running $40 locally. I would love to see it drop down to $14 a bag again.

Addict

The Zephyr

Post by The Zephyr » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:46 am

On the other side of the coin the drop in lead prices has stopped a reclamation company from continuing to remove lead from our gun club's trap & skeet fields. With the lower price of lead it is no longer economically feasible for the company to sift for the spent pellets, let alone pay the club a percentage of the sale.

John L.
FC AFC Fieldmaster's Montauk Zephyr
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=324

Fieldmaster's Oregon Road Phosphorus
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2833

lovesuglydogs

Post by lovesuglydogs » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:26 am

Im Bullish All Commodities...Lead, Gold, Silver, Platinum, et al
(That chart is actually Bullish-rising wedge)

If you have a few extra bucks, buy any of the commodities mentioned.

Ever seen the photo of the Weimar Republic, with the Girl Burning German Marks for heat, as they were worthless, due to the Bankers destroying it? Here it is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinflation
Last edited by lovesuglydogs on Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:05 pm

There are still some bargains out there ..just picked up a bakers dozen Federal 16 ga., 1 1/8 oz., #6 lead for $6.27 per box. It usually still pays to shop around. I'd guess right now you'll find some significant price differences by store and by the age of the inventory.

Mark
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:47 am

One gun shop (in Foster, RI) as of last weekend is STILL selling shot for $50 a bag. When he had 70 bags on the floor all marked at $35, then you go in the next day and all same bags are marked $50, you know he bought all those bags prior and is price gouging at the new rate. So, now lead is backing down like all metals and they won't bring the price back down. A store clerk said he was the only one carrying the lead when no one else bothered, and bought a load when it was high and doesn't want to lose money. Well, I reminded the clerk when the bags were all marked 35 and he banged it to 50 with no trouble...You make it on the way up, well you got to bite the bullet on the way down. Bottom line is, those bags are going to sit on the floor because WE AINT BUYING NO MORE. I can have shot delivered to my door, pay the shipping and still do better than 50. Gamaliel and Recobs both have it about $30 a bag and I think one was 12.95 to ship and the other 14.95. Either way, still cheaper than paying 50 a bag.
A good bird dog is always the right color