What do you think of these shotguns

mm

What do you think of these shotguns

Post by mm » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:00 am

I have decided I am getting a new shotgun, I have never had one and its time for me to get one. I have bought them for everyone else and I am still shooting a gun I got 20 years ago for $100 used that has broken several times. Anyway I am ready and have even decided to get two.
the first,
Berretta ultra light over and under 12 gauge 28 inch barrell the regular one not the delux
I have seen this one in the $1800 range

The second
remington 870 wingmaster lightweignt pump 28 inch with the chokes
I have seen this in the $700 range

What do you think of these guns and the prices. Always find it hard to buy somthing new for myself but this year I am going too.
thanks
mm

tfbirddog2

Re: What do you think of these shotguns

Post by tfbirddog2 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:35 am

Just a question why 28 inch barrels? As far as the Barrett good choice for just a little cheaper I would throw in a SKB or Browning 525 o/u both of those are around $1400 to $1600 I think.I not a big Remington shot gun fan, but if I was going to buy one it would for sure be the 1187 much better gun if not the best of thiers,1100sdont hold up at least not the new ones.I work at a lodge so I see everything come through LOTS of break downs with the 1100 lots.Or even a Mossberg 935 I almost choose one over my Xtrema, but really like the one I had shoot a few time so I went with the Berretta.Thats my .02.For barrel length I prefer the 24 inch easier to get out of the truck with I have the 28 in my Xtrema, only dislike, buy couldnt pass the deal Cabelas made me.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:13 am

Wow. O/U or pump. Different kinds of things. I'm a big fan of Beretta O/U's, but only have experience with their target O/U's. My experience of putting probably 100,000 rounds through my 682 with only hammer springs replaced gives me about as good a feeling about Beretta as I have for anything that I've ever owned. My dad had a 525 Sporting that I shot some. Nice shooting gun. Wouldn't hesitate to own one.

The 870 is a pump and a completely different thing from the 1100 or the 1187. I've owned several and they were as reliable as could be. I think I replaced one extractor and one interceptor latch retainer. That said, from my skeet shooting days, I'm not a pump shooter.

If I was buying an auto, I'd look hard at the Extrema. Very nice, but pricey.

Greg J.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:50 am

Tell us more about the intended purpose - mostly hunting? type of hunting? Any clay shooting?

If you are interested in Browning, CDNN has some amazing deals on many of their models. You have to go to their website and actually download their catalogue - but trust me it is worth it. They have some awesome deals going right now.

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:15 am

The 686 ultralight is a very nice gun and just as solid and reliable as the rest of the 68x series. Just remember, it is an extremely light gun and even with a recoil pad can beat you up if you plan on shooting clays with the gun. Ammo choice would be extremely important; 7/8 oz or 1 oz loads at moderate velocity would be a good idea. Stock fit will be important as well; if the gun doesn't fit well it will make matters worse.

If you are looking for a lightweight O/U but don't want to spend the $$ for the Beretta, take a look at the Franchi Alcone T (T stands for Titanium receiver). I've seen those running at least $400 cheaper than the Berettas.

The 870 is a perfectly fine gun; I'm just not sure how good Remington's quality control has been lately. $700 is a lot of money for a pump, and the 870 doesn't have a reputation as being the lightest thing around. Look for an Ithica model 37 if you are looking for a lightweight pump.

All depends on what you are planning on using the gun for.

tfbirddog2 wrote:
Just a question why 28 inch barrels? ..........For barrel length I prefer the 24 inch easier to get out of the truck with I have the 28 in my Xtrema
Keep in mind that the overall length of an O/U with 28" barrels is pretty close to an Xtreme with 24" barrels. Semi-auto barrels have gotten shorter in the last few years because the receivers have gotten longer & heavier to accept the 3.5" shell and the gas system to handle it.

FWIW,
Dave

mm

Post by mm » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:08 pm

Thanks to all for the info
I am going to use these guns for upland bird hunting. I will hunt pheasant, and huns and sharptails this year and down the road I hope to hunt quail some day. I like the 28 inch as this is what I am use to and feel I shoot better with this rather than a shorter barrell gun. I want to use these guns for hunting but I also want to be able to shoot them at the range weekly for pratice. I will shoot trap with them 50 to 100 rounds a week in one or the other. I shoot for pratice only I am not a competition shooter. I am thinking of buying both of these guns so I will take them both with me in case one breaks or if any friends want to fly out and meet to hunt a little they can use one of the guns.
thanks
mm

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:25 pm

Why not try a few out and look at many of the options and buy the one best for you to use and then get a used gun for friends to use or to have as a back up. I just bought a Stevens SXS a few weeks ago off of gunbroker.com for $300 in really good condition, but Im not going to get upset over a scratch or setting it on the ground etc. I looking for another one now as the wife likes shooting it even more than my 1187 since it is lighter so Im happy. You can find many guns out there for less than $700 that I would take over an 870. Now if you need a back up gun for a duck blind a used 870 is the gun of choice. If you really want a pump there are others out there as well. Also look on gunbroker once you find the gun you want, many on there are new in box and never been fired. If you are patient the right deal will come along for you, may not steal it but a fair price can always be had. Not trying to knock the 870 as it is a good gun. If I were you I would go to a gun store handle a few new guns, go to a pawnshop/gun shop/gun show/ range or wherever and handle as many as you can. I'm a youngster compared to most around here but Ill take a 40-50yr old gun against many of the ones made today. Plus if it is going to be in the field what do a few minor scratches hurt if you are only going to add more?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:30 pm

One of the points that Dave brought up is that a 28" barrel on an auto is the same length as a 32" barrel on an O/U. Note that I said "same length as". Remember that 2" of O/U barrel weighs the same as a 4" of auto barrel. After that, I've always equated a 26" auto barrel with a 28" O/U barrel in terms of swing, etc.

If it as me, I'd get a light field gun for hunting and pick up a used BT-99 for trap.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:44 pm

Greg Jennings wrote: If it as me, I'd get a light field gun for hunting and pick up a used BT-99 for trap.
I like this idea. Pick up a nice field o/u from CDNN, and maybe get the Rem 870TB (is it?) trap gun used. Even 100 rounds a week in an hour or two is too much on the shoulder with a field gun IMO.

fyi, if I recall from the catalogue the other day, CDNN has spankin' new Browning o/u's - one is $1199 and one is $1399. I think the $1199 is the feather-light or ultra-light - whatever they call it.

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:25 pm

I wouldn't hasitate to recomend a Beretta O/U to anyone. BUT, that ultralight will tear you up shooting clays!
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 28g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 20g 28"
Browning BPS Synthetic 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS 12g 3" 22" cant. fully rifled

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:26 am

gar-dog wrote:
Greg Jennings wrote: If it as me, I'd get a light field gun for hunting and pick up a used BT-99 for trap.
I like this idea. Pick up a nice field o/u from CDNN, and maybe get the Rem 870TB (is it?) trap gun used. Even 100 rounds a week in an hour or two is too much on the shoulder with a field gun IMO.

fyi, if I recall from the catalogue the other day, CDNN has spankin' new Browning o/u's - one is $1199 and one is $1399. I think the $1199 is the feather-light or ultra-light - whatever they call it.
A 870 TB was my first trap gun. For target shooting, the trigger left a lot to be desired. The Browning BT-99, Perazzi TM-1 and similar in single barrels, Citori, Beretta 682, similar in O/U would take one further, IMHO, and would retain resale value better.

I would add a Win. M-12 to that list, but they ain't a making them anymore and they are too precious a commodity to be shooting on a regular basis, though I love them dearly.

Greg J.