Anyone shooting 24" O/U or SXS

portsider44

Anyone shooting 24" O/U or SXS

Post by portsider44 » Thu May 05, 2005 8:53 am

Been kicking around the idea of getting a new 20 ga O/U with 24" barrels for my soon to be 14 yo son.

He's been shooting a 12 ga moss semi that I cut the stock down on. RIght now his growth spurt has yet to happen. The fit of the moss is not peferect & tends to be a little front heavy. Which causes him to under shoot targets.

Mostly we hunt Quail,Dove & pheasant. I was thinking the shorter lighter O/U my be a great fit for him now. But my concern is what happens in 2-3 years when he's more adult sized???

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu May 05, 2005 9:46 am

Hey,

Here is what I did:

I bought them a Remington 1100 28 gauge Special Sporting. They're 10 and a small 12, so it made sense from a recoil standpoint.

The stock was beautiful so I bought them a new stock, cut it and will add spacers as they grow.

When they're finished growing, I'll put the original back on it for them.

FWIW,

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Thu May 05, 2005 1:52 pm

My go to gun is a BPS with 21" bbl. I amd sending in barrels for a 20 ga sxs to get choke tubes put in and they are cut at about 22". I love the short gun. Changing the stock length on less common guns is a bigger task to overcome! Common ones like mentioned above help if you can get rid of the front heavy part. Looking at a Stoeger 12 ga with 24" bbls, just not sure how easy stocks would be to find for those.
Colin

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Fri May 06, 2005 1:20 am

Greg -

I hear some people talk of the 28 gauge like it's gold and some people dog it as starting a new shotgunner off with a .410 (too hard to hit targets).

Is the tradeoff of recoil reduction vs. "hitability" really worth it between a 28 ga. and a 20 ga.? Or is that just mainly personal preference? Or, heck, is there much difference in target-busting-ability at all?

I've never shot a 28 gauge, just wondering.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri May 06, 2005 6:04 am

Ayres wrote:Greg -

I hear some people talk of the 28 gauge like it's gold and some people dog it as starting a new shotgunner off with a .410 (too hard to hit targets).

Is the tradeoff of recoil reduction vs. "hitability" really worth it between a 28 ga. and a 20 ga.? Or is that just mainly personal preference? Or, heck, is there much difference in target-busting-ability at all?

I've never shot a 28 gauge, just wondering.

Hey there,

For normal quail hunting and clay bustin' there is practically no difference in the "hitability" of the 12, 20 or 28. The 28 is usually built on a small frame and is very light to carry and still has very little recoil. It's a pleasure to shoot.

For smaller-framed women and kids, the 28 is an ideal shotgun. It combines the hitability of the 20 with little more recoil than a 410. To give you an idea, I sometimes, just for fun, shoot my kids' 28 with one hand.

You can buy 28 ga shells at most every Wal-Mart now. There are AA skeet and sporting clay loads and sometimes a 1 oz heavy load. It'll really turn a bird inside out.

OTOH, the shells are more expensive than the 12 or 20 and both, particularly the 12 are more flexible than the 28. They can just pack more shot.

The bottom line is that if you can afford to have a 28 around, you should go shoot one to see what it's like. If you can't afford it, don't do it...you'll forever be wanting one.

Best,

tfbirddog2

24"

Post by tfbirddog2 » Fri May 06, 2005 6:24 am

I shoot a 24" 20ga. o/u I hunt every thing with it.I love it, I've also shot it on skeet and it is awesome short and light.I would say go for it I think one would be perfect for a youngster I wish I would of had it when I was coming up in this game.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri May 06, 2005 7:33 am

A short-barreled shotgun may work for you guys for field work.

Just be aware that for competitive games, longer barrels are uniformly used. The current trend in skeet is 30" and in sporting clays many are moving to 32". In trap, 32" O/U and 34" single barrels have been the standard for many years. I've seen some 34" O/U and 35" singles.

Because I come from a competitive background, I tend toward longer barrels.

Best,

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Fri May 06, 2005 7:56 am

Thanks for all the replies. I realize the 24" may never double as a skeet gun & can live with that. What I can't handle due to money issues (or lack of) is buying the shotgun for him now & looking at buying another in 2-3 years.

Which is why I really wanted to hear some input from adults that are shooting them or has shot them.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri May 06, 2005 8:42 am

A 20 ga O/U is a shotgun that your son can use his whole life. A 20 ga is a wonderfully versatile hull.

If you need to cut the stock for him, do it so that it is the right length without a recoil pad. Later, as he grows, you can add a thin pad, then when he's grown, a full recoil pad.

I realize that I'm in the minority here with respect to barrel length. I, personally, will not carry a fixed-breech shotgun with barrels shorter than 26" and I prefer 28".

Just to be clear, I like longer barrels because, the way I mount a shotgun, the length of the barrels doesn't effect how fast I can mount it (it's actually has more to do with the butt stock) and the longer barrels give a smoother swing, less muzzle jump and, most importantly, a longer sight plane.

Your Milage May Vary,

tfbirddog2

o/u's

Post by tfbirddog2 » Fri May 06, 2005 11:28 am

Psider44, I have my o/u in Biakal it was $456.00 very economical.They are called Spartans now after Remington bought them last year.Noughting fancy by far but more and more folks are shooting them a love them I have thought of buying one in a 28 ga.They make trap guns, and sxs in all gauges too.Don't forget Moss. makes o/u for around $500 to $600 now.Oh yeah there is also a Turkish brand of o/u's and Sxs's that are good guns and cheap too, I got to shot 410. on quail in December with one very nice too,not cheaply made either.I can't say or spell the name but I know they are turkish.Just my thoughts since you where talking price which is a factor in guns.If its a gift from Dad I don't think your son will care on price, but that it is from Dad an you take him hunting with it.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri May 06, 2005 11:54 am

The Turkish arms manufacturer is Huglu. "Hoo Glue"

Best,

tfbirddog2

thanks

Post by tfbirddog2 » Fri May 06, 2005 8:24 pm

Thanks, Greg I kept thinking Hugla-bugla from Larry the Cable Guy.but I did know it was close to that.

Katies Dad

Post by Katies Dad » Sat May 07, 2005 11:40 am

I think that 20 would be perfect for a 14yr old boy! I had one since I was 10 a remington 1100 20ga lt 21 in barrle. I would buy him a gun that will last him a life time. I would also go with the stock changing idea that way when he was full grown he would have a very nice gun!

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Mon May 16, 2005 4:04 pm

I bought my son a 1100, 20 gauge, LT with the youth stock, 21" barrel w/chokes. What a gun! He was 9 when he started shooting it and is now 16. He can out shoot most adults that I know. The low recoil, I believe, is the reason he can shoot it so well. He was never afraid to pull the trigger. Or.... it's all the computer games kids play these days. It helps with their hand eye coordination. I don't know..... but I love it too, I sneak it out of the rack occassionally to take it ruff grouse hunting.

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Tue May 17, 2005 7:38 am

Greg Jennings wrote:You can buy 28 ga shells at most every Wal-Mart now. There are AA skeet and sporting clay loads and sometimes a 1 oz heavy load.
that's great news!! but i can NEVER find them!!!! any walmarts in particular?? how much do boxes run at walmart ?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue May 17, 2005 8:55 am

Hey Sudie,

Wal-Mart Supercenter
6495 Atlanta Highway
Montgomery, AL 36117

----

Seriously, my Wal-Mart *always* has 28's. What I have trouble finding is the 20 ga 1 oz Sporting Clays load (1300 fps. Really hits the birds hard)

Best,

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Wed May 18, 2005 10:47 am

sweet!! on our way to mobile.... sort of :) at least worth the detour!!!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed May 18, 2005 11:48 am

You can order a flat of 28's from any of dozen's of online ammo merchants.

Best,