Would I be crazy to sell an O/U and shoot an 870??

Nebraska

Would I be crazy to sell an O/U and shoot an 870??

Post by Nebraska » Tue May 20, 2008 11:51 pm

Last year I purchased an O/U that I've always wanted (Weatherby Orion Grade III) and tucked it away in the safe but have been considering selling it (still unfired) and sticking with my bread and butter 870s. I shoot the 870s well and with them I don't have to worry about dinging them up but that Weatherby is soooooo nice!!! What do you think?? :?

Bird Dog 67

Re: Would I be crazy to sell an O/U and shoot an 870??

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Wed May 21, 2008 7:55 am

A few factors to consider:

Did you buy the O/U to use or to look at? If you bought it to look at then stick with it and be comfortable with the $ that you have into it as a piece of art.

If you want to shoot and you don't want to go away from what works for you then sell it and buy yourself a couple of new 870's.

Want to try something new? Then get that iron out of the safe and go break some birds and see how you like it.

jbraun

Post by jbraun » Wed May 21, 2008 8:35 am

Unless you are a collector or plan on being one, take that gun out and bust some birds with it. You only live once and you can't take it with you. O/U guns are by nature more expensive than the pump guns you are used too, but they are a pure joy to shoot. You are going to take a hit if you sell or trade it, even if it is unfired. You might want to consider a less expensive O/U if you still feel the desire to have one. I have a CZ Mallard that I got new off of Gunbroker for less than the cost of a new Wingmaster and a Franchi Alcione that I got new at Bass Pro for less than $1000 a couple years ago. Used guns would also be a good option, the new would already be shot out of them so you would not have to worry about that.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed May 21, 2008 6:58 pm

My Dad always said the best thing for a new gun is to tie it behind your truck and drag it about a mile down a rock road.

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Wed May 21, 2008 8:49 pm

That sounds like what my Dad said when I went hunting with him a few years ago with a new and fairly expensive o/u....."I wish you'd hurry up and drop that thing so you'd quite worrying over it"!!! :)

Dad's generally seem to have the right outlook on things....course we don't typically realize it until they get old and we begin getting long in the tooth ourselves! Funny how that works!!!

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Wed May 21, 2008 9:08 pm

I am an O/U fanatic. Most fun to shoot, over any other gun. Take that unit out from it's dark hole and use it !! If your worried, take it to the field and bust a few clays first. The bottom line is you either hang it on the wall to show your friends or get out in the field and blast them birds. :D
Bill L.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Thu May 22, 2008 4:56 am

Get that o/u out and shoot it.Why not have two reliables than just one.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

Vizsla Vince

Post by Vizsla Vince » Thu May 22, 2008 7:17 pm

I'm a die-hard pump man myself, for various reasons. One of them being that I shot w/ someone else's o/u for a day & kept getting frustrated because I thought the gun was broken every time I fired & couldn't pump the gun for another shell!! :oops:

That being said, you can hardly dump a girl without at least dancing with her for one or two songs. Take that beauty out on a date with some clay pigeons!

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Fri May 23, 2008 4:34 am

Vizsla Vince wrote:That being said, you can hardly dump a girl without at least dancing with her for one or two songs. Take that beauty out on a date with some clay pigeons!
I think that's what I'm going to have to do. It's easy to think about selling it while it's locked in the safe but every time i open the safe and pick it up I can't imagine getting rid of it!! I think I'll take them both to the range a few times and keep whatever one sing's to me the most..... :wink:

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Fri May 23, 2008 5:16 am

After you go out, I would love to hear what your decision is!!
I have done this very thing myself and it is great to open my safe to better than a dozen beautiful shotguns, just couldn't decide! Have fun
Bill L.

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Fri May 23, 2008 7:40 pm

I HAVE 3 SKB O/U I SHOOT .CAN ONLY THINK OF ONCE IN THE LAST 10 YEARS ON PHEASANT THAT I NEEDED THE EXTRA SHELL . ALSO HAVE A 870 THAT I'VE HAD FOR 36 YEARS. IT'S WORTH MORE TO ME THAN MY SKB'S BUT USE MY 20 ALL THE TIME . HUNT IN NEB LAST 10 YEARS. GET IT OUT . YOU WON'T BE SORRY.

dudley

Post by dudley » Sat May 24, 2008 1:44 pm

well if you really want to get rid of it let me know i'll take it off your hand no problem :D

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:00 pm

I say you shoot whatever you whoot best. As my friend days, "Beware the man with one gun." However, but if your going to shoot the 870. get yourself a beautiful 870 wingmaster.

Sorno

Post by Sorno » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:53 am

Shoot it or sell it, that is my theory.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:39 pm

I can't really afford to buy a gun just to look at it. So go shoot it. It's why it ws made.

That said, following a Caribou hunt in Quebec about 10 years ago, I bought a Remington 7600 in .270 with the intent of using it on my next caribou hunt that was to be two years later. Well, it's been ten years, and it's still unfired and in the factory box.

I went to sell it last fall, and even though it's new in the box, it's still considered a used gun, and I couldn't even come close to breaking even on it. So I still have it - for now...

SD Pheasant Slayer

Post by SD Pheasant Slayer » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:25 pm

This seems like a simple fix for me. Keep 'em both. I put down $1700 on a new Citori 525 Field last fall and, like you, was hesitant to take it out into the thick stuff, but shot it well and love carrying it around. I still own my synthetic stock BPS that I've had since I started hunting at age 12, and I shoot that pretty well and down't worry too much if I beat the snot out of it. Now I take both along and if I'm hunting CRP or other light stuff I carry the Citori and if I'm going to be walking some thick willows or shelter belts, then I shoot the BPS.
Almost Heaven's Daddy's Paycheck - "Cash"

"In the end, our society will be defined not by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."
- John Sawhill

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:17 pm

If it helps, I've got a buddy with a Weatherby o/u who cannot shoot the thing worth a "bleep" and offered me to take crack with it. I can hit with it but it sure kicks alot harder than my Baikal sxs 20 gauge, Remington 1100 12 gauge, or Remington model 11 16 gauge. I shot it a couple of times, busted a couple clays with it and handed it back to him. It was a beautiful gun, light, pointed well, balanced well but it kicked more than what I liked. It actually bruised my shoulder and I am 6ft. 3" and 290 lbs but it sure was a pretty gun. I say shoot the darn thing and at least see if you like it. You may come to the same decision I did and not like the recoil of it.