suggestions on a gun

coveycreek

suggestions on a gun

Post by coveycreek » Wed May 14, 2008 6:51 pm

Currently in shotguns I own a Fausti 12 gauge, a spartan 12 gauge, and a SKB 686 20 gauge. I am thinking about getting rid of the boat paddle spartan and adding something else in. I will be hunting grouse, pheasants(wild and farm raised early and late season), huns, and who knows what else might pop up for an opportunity. I am thinking about a gun in the $1200 and under area(prefer sub $1000). I have shot auto loaders, O/U, and pump. I am not sure how hard it is to get used to a SxS though there are some attractive choices there... So here are the choices. Which way would you go and why? I don't care about the recoil and prefer a lighter gun. I'm a real sucker for english stocks though I am not sure if any of these come in that.

16ga Rem 1100
16 ga Wingmaster
12ga Rem 1100
CZ ringneck 16ga
Fausti Stefano 16ga o/u
CZ woodcock 12ga
Franchi O/U 20ga
Ruger Red Label 12ga or 20ga
Browning BPS 16ga
Well used Citori 16ga or 20ga

Not sure if a 20ga is going to be enough on late season roosters over pointing dogs or not, never hunted them with anything but a 12ga.

Bigsur009

Re: suggestions on a gun

Post by Bigsur009 » Wed May 14, 2008 7:30 pm

Coveycreek,

One more to add to the list is the CZ bobwhite. It comes with the English stock unlike the Ringneck. Great looking gun for a good price. I've got my eye on one as soon as I can convince the wife...

coveycreek

Post by coveycreek » Wed May 14, 2008 7:32 pm

I wasn't too sure about the double trigger... thoughts?

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed May 14, 2008 7:33 pm

First off, if you haven't heard of CDNN they have the best prices (always it seems) on batches that they have in stock. I think they have the Browning Citori featherweights for like $1199 brand new right now. They have all kinds of interesting stuff. You go to their site and have to download their catalogue - the stuff isnt posted. I know tons of people from shotgunworld that have bought there and I have bought 3 from them.

On another note, you should check out the Lanber 20 gauge 0/u. Best value under $1500 in my opinion. You can get them NEW for about $750. If you need to see one in person, the distributor will ship to your local store. Camfour is the distributor and there are also a couple of online guys. I have 4 Lanber o/u's - best value out there! Great quality - made to "western" standards in Spain, without many of the problems you see in Turkish and Russian guns.

Another best buy is/was the Verona o/u's. Just GREAT guns for the money. They are now imported from Italy under the Savage Milano name. Again, western quality standards.

I have never touched a Ruger Red Label - but I have participated on SGW for years and seem to hear nothing but problems. So consider it hearsay, but based upon countless forum traffic.

Remingtons - can't go wrong.

CZ - I hear of people having good experience with these if primarily for hunting as opposed to heavier volume target shooting. They seem to be pretty guns too.

Frankly, for me,I think the best deals are the Lanbers and Verona/Savages on the price-quality spectrum. Otherwise I jump to about $2200. There isn't a $1500 o/u out there I would own before picking up another Lanber or Verona. If I could find a mint Beretta SPII used in that price range I would consider it.

Good luck,
Gary

coveycreek

Post by coveycreek » Wed May 14, 2008 7:41 pm

holy bookmark city batman... Thanks for the heads of on CDNN

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 14, 2008 10:33 pm

Stick with a 20 and spend your money on gas and another dog. One shotgun will kill everything you can hunt.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Thu May 15, 2008 5:21 am

Never had a problem using a 20 ga. all year just change your shot size to 6s or 5s.I say spend good money one time and you never need to get another gun, but you want to.Wanting or needing its still hard to convenice a wife either way.Spend the money and get aSKB english stock sxs or o/u in 20 or 28 ga.Personally if it were me and going to get a auto you cant go wrong with Beretta or Benilli not a Remington shotgun fan seen way to many break down in field cause of one thing or another.Wouldnt be aposed to a Red Label though, but in 20 ga.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

coveycreek

Post by coveycreek » Thu May 15, 2008 6:58 am

LOL $1200 would almost get me a new pup... My wife has puppy fever again.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Thu May 15, 2008 7:57 am

If you don't own an 1100 now, my first thought would be go for that. Well used Citori field would also be great, but may be hard to find.

Charlie
A good bird dog is always the right color

littleking

Post by littleking » Thu May 15, 2008 9:20 am

beretta 686 onyx super light and well built

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Thu May 15, 2008 9:59 am

Stay with a Beretta, Browning, or SKB. The SKB's would be under SKB, Weatherby, or Ithaca brands. The 20 is plenty. I have an extra Ithaca 500 20 gauge in the safe that I might consider parting with. It is in very good condition .
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 28g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 20g 28"
Browning BPS Synthetic 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS 12g 3" 22" cant. fully rifled

coveycreek

Post by coveycreek » Thu May 15, 2008 11:01 am

after looking at the shell selection I may abandon the 16ga thoughts... I love the idea of a 16 but why pay that much more for shells.

The brands you listed are all very nice guns. What are your thoughts on Franchi? I am really into the english stock and they seem to be good guns for the money.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu May 15, 2008 1:02 pm

We've had Franchi auto loaders and they are okay but we much prefer the Berettas & Benellis for durability and reliability. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot the Franchi o/u so unfortunately can't comment.

I see you're located in the northen part of the Twin Cities metro area. We hunt pheasants primarily in N.D. over pointing dogs. One brother & I shoot 20s nearly all season long. In Dec. & the first week of Jan. we get more crippples, even with larger shot sizes. A friend that has done a lot of competitive shooting shoots a 20 all season long and also gets cripples late in the year. Another brother who is the best shot in the group uses a 20 a little, primarily uses a 16 and always switches to a 12 ga. late in the year with #4 & sometimes even #2 lead shot. He has shot so many 100s of thousands of rounds he absolutely knows if he was on the bird with his shot. He used to use a 20 late in the year but saw too many birds fly through the pattern.

I love carrying a lighter 20 ga. all season long but I bring the 12 in the truck near the end of the season and if I start getting cripples I switch to the 12 pretty fast.

Mark
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

coveycreek

Post by coveycreek » Thu May 15, 2008 5:56 pm

Ya I will hang onto the better 12ga to use if I start seeing cripples. I think another 20 is a good move, that way I can have something for my wife to shoot without putting my baby in her hands. LOL

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu May 15, 2008 9:04 pm

coveycreek wrote:after looking at the shell selection I may abandon the 16ga thoughts... I love the idea of a 16 but why pay that much more for shells.

The brands you listed are all very nice guns. What are your thoughts on Franchi? I am really into the english stock and they seem to be good guns for the money.
I have a few 16's, and if you're going to be doing a lot of target shooting with them, reloading is a good way to go. Of course, if you don't reload, if there's a D1ck's Sporting Goods near you, you can buy cases of ammo at a 10% discount. I try to buy my cases in NH, so I get 10% off and no sales tax. :D

My preferred hunting load of late seems to be the Winchesters in #6, they cost me $10.99 a box at Cabela's, I think.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Thu May 15, 2008 11:41 pm

Do you know of a well used Citori 16 or 20 in your price range? I think that would be a good choice as well as the 1100s.
Would want more info on the Franchi and Ruger to make a call. I think in both those guns the older makes are possibly a tad better in quality than the newer, but I haven't had a great of a look at the newer stuff. I did see a new Franchi that looked good, think it was a Classic? Ruger, not sure what they are like today but the older Red Labels were known for being reliable.
A good bird dog is always the right color

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri May 16, 2008 6:35 am

I'd pick Franchi over Ruger any day. You just hear of so many reliability issues with the Red Label. I have heard good things consistently about the Franchi Alcione, Diamond, and Veloce. One franchi model - can't remember which - has the titanium receiver and is super lightweight, so while great in the field it may not be suitable for clays. You see some of the Franch's frequently on sale at "bleep"'s for like $899.

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Fri May 16, 2008 6:42 am

Franchi is a good choice also. Just be aware that they have had some problems with there stocks cracking. I'm not sure if they got that resolved or not.
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 28g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 20g 28"
Browning BPS Synthetic 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS 12g 3" 22" cant. fully rifled

coveycreek

Post by coveycreek » Fri May 16, 2008 6:46 am

I would have to be pretty bored to shoot clays I think. This will definitely be a field gun.

Since it looks like Browning is about the only kid on the block still producing O/Us with an english stock, that may be the way to go... Of course for a couple hundred more I would get into a Beretta White Onyx. Does anyone else find gun shopping more difficult than shopping for a car?

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri May 16, 2008 5:16 pm

No, not at all because it seems like you can never have too many guns & they are a lot less expensive than most cars. :D
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

splucinski

Post by splucinski » Sat May 17, 2008 6:33 pm

I just bought a new Weatherby (made by SKB) Orion Upland from CDNN for $979. It should be here Monday or Tuesday. I got to see one in .410 at a local dealer. It is a well made gun with fit me well. Not to mention it's hard to find a decent O/U for less than $1000

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Sun May 18, 2008 8:10 am

No, not me either I guide for a hunting lodge get to see alot of nice guns and some junk.I dont drive to cabelas I just pick up everybodies guns and see if I like them.Evertbody makes the Estock it is not a shelf product usually by order though.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy