side by side
29%
Who needs a shotgun I let the dog bust in and catch all the birds for me
3%

Total votes: 31

dhondtm

over/under or side by side

Post by dhondtm » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:31 am

Being new to field trials I just realized I won't be able to use my old shotgun. First question I have, can you use a side by side for field trials or only o/u?

This would be my first double barrel shotgun and I was leaning towards a side by side, because I like the flat platform you get from it when looking down the barrels. Any suggestions on what would be a reasonably priced starter gun. Also, I primarily hunt quail and dust can be an issue being in the desert.

pear

Post by pear » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:02 am

This will sound strange...............I prefer a SXS but use an O/U. Like yourself I prefer the sight picture of the SXS, but had the O/U custom fitted before I found the SXS that really suited me. I have plans for the SXS but will stay with what fits best until then. Price? I won't even go there.........but suggest you spent the most you feel you can to get the best value. Remember quality has a price.......only you can input your numbers and equate the most value for "your" dollar. I'd suggest a look at Beretta, but I'm partial. The older Beretta SXS may fit your needs, at a reasonable price. try this link http://www.gunbroker.com/

"pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:15 am

I had to vote for Rick. He says if your eyes were over and under it would be easier to shoot. :D :shock:
brenda

pear

Post by pear » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:48 am

That's it Brenda!!!!.......I never thought, when I miss, I can just claim my eyes weren't in the right place. Do the make glasses to correct that???.............pffftttt why didn't I think of that before :roll:
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

Gregory

Post by Gregory » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:05 pm

I prefer to shoot side by sides,but that does not mean I can't shoot all other barrel configurations equally,bad:>)

For someone that is picking up a shot gun for the first time the SxS will not be a problem to get used to. On the otherhand a long time shooter that has been used to looking at a single barrel sight plane will have a hard time making the adjustement in most cases.So, which will be better for you personally, probably an O/U in my opinion,as your first gun.
G.

goddog

Post by goddog » Thu May 19, 2005 3:19 pm

I shot an auto in field trials for the security measures of the 3rd shot.. : ) However, I hunt with a SxS with English stock because the grip of an English stock fits me better for instinctive shooting and the weight of the gun is friendlier for all day lugging.

SC

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:54 am

I'm taking Gregory's advice since I am used to shooting a Remington 1100, I think I will go with an o/u.

I am thinking I want a 20 gauge o/u. Just planning to quail hunt with it, not planning on skeet or trap. This may sound like a loaded question, but where do I start in finding the right gun for me? Which brand, where to buy? Does it all just depend on how it feels and fits the person or can the stocks all be adjusted to fit anyone anyhow? How do you make that right decision in selecting the gun for you?

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:09 am

THats what I shoot is a 1100. I found the O/U suited me best. But i still like that securtiy shell on my Rem

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:44 am

No doubt the 1100 is a great gun and popular, I think it's because they last forever. My 1100 is over 30 years old.

Birdhunter1

Women Hunters??

Post by Birdhunter1 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:02 pm

I took my girlfrined out shooting clays on the back of the farm today and she liked it and when we started shooting moving targets (at first we were shooting them on the ground to get a feel for the gun), she actually hit about 8 out of 20 and 5 in a row at one point.

The only problem is she said "honey you'll have to buy a shotgun that fits me." I knew my Beretta 391 was too long for her, my Old 1100 Remington WILL NOT BE CUT DOWN TO FIT and my 870 is a 12 guage. So I will be looking for a shotgun for a woman.

Question is what do most of you women hunters look for in a firearm, I know what I look for but do the ladies look for different feels or anything?

goddog

Post by goddog » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:08 pm

Like any shotgun, you just have it fitted for her. But, I think a 28ga would be neat.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:42 pm

Thing I like about the Rems is that you can take them apart in the middle of your hunt if somthing goes wrong. And you dont need any special tools to do. Plus that what all the cops use so i has to be good.

goddog

Post by goddog » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:12 pm

The cops use Remington because that's all the budget allows. If they had a choice, I bet my last $$ they will pick up a Benelli before they pick up a Rem.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:24 pm

I havent shot benelli so i couldnt comment but i am sure they are nice guns

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:29 am

goddog wrote:The cops use Remington because that's all the budget allows. If they had a choice, I bet my last $$ they will pick up a Benelli before they pick up a Rem.
I will argue on that one, the 870 is reliabe and tried and true and they are so common and in terms of durability "bulletproof." If they do fail it is a no brainer to take apart and a quick fix that can/could be done blindfolded.

****Check the new thread on "Remington 870 vs. Benelli Nova" as not to hijcak this thread****

goddog

Post by goddog » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:06 pm

I wouldn't say that you are wrong.........

but, In a World of Compromise Some Folks Don't.

Sorry Pear, I'll return it soon as I'm done.